Quantcast
No more AMG 43s, all hail AMG 53s - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No more AMG 43s, all hail AMG 53s

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default No more AMG 43s, all hail AMG 53s

http://jalopnik.com/a-new-line-of-me...por-1797683380

The new Mercedes-AMG CLS53 is expected to be the first in a new line of AMG 53 models. It likely will be powered by a high-performance version of the company’s new inline six-cylinder engine codenamed M256. The engine reportedly will produce 430 hp in the CLS53, but it also will be paired with an electric motor in a hybrid setup that boosts the car’s overall power even higher while improving efficiency.

My Ride
    This and that.

I guess they are putting in a quasi-AMG model in every category.

My Ride
    Grimace

This is getting more and more confusing. C400->C450 AMG->AMG C43->AMG C53. Haven't had two of the same C class models since the W205 came out!
    I wonder if they will bring in a model in between the C300 and C53 now that the gap has increased in performance again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So weird that this is news today, it's all based on this article from last month: https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...six-powertrain

The engine is already in use in the updated 430hp S500 over in Europe (oddly, NA S560 gets a new 4.0L V8 instead) so maybe we'll see more power out of the AMG version. The E Coupe should be getting this before the CLS according to what I've heard, as the CLS isn't due in showrooms till November of next year. At least that's what I'm hoping for since I have one on order. First drive of the S500 here with a detailed writeup of the engine: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/merce...-drive-review/

Electric turbos, hybrid KERS boost, should be a damn fun drivetrain, and everyone shopping in the 43 segment will be happy with the upgrade to 53. Wait till you see the new CLA45 and GLA45 with this setup with zero lag 400hp haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Electric turbos, hybrid KERS boost, should be a damn fun drivetrain, and everyone shopping in the 43 segment will be happy with the upgrade to 53. Wait till you see the new CLA45 and GLA45 with this setup with zero lag 400hp haha.
    Yah, but then when you are poor and say, Oh I can wait for a few year old C400 and then it changes, and then again and again it gets very annoying.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

So weird that this is news today, it's all based on this article from last month: https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...six-powertrain

The engine is already in use in the updated 430hp S500 over in Europe (oddly, NA S560 gets a new 4.0L V8 instead) so maybe we'll see more power out of the AMG version. The E Coupe should be getting this before the CLS according to what I've heard, as the CLS isn't due in showrooms till November of next year. At least that's what I'm hoping for since I have one on order. First drive of the S500 here with a detailed writeup of the engine: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/merce...-drive-review/

Wow, That's impressive. I was aware of the 48 volt mild-hybrid but shit - this thing fills the gap throughout the entire rev range.

0rpm belt assisted motor on the crank
    low-midrange electric supercharger
    mid - top end exhaust driven turbine

22% less emissions than the previous V8. Next level shit.

The only thing I'm more excited for is Mazda's compression ignition gas engine. They're also fitting some with superchargers.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

^^^ MotorTrend said there is no belts, did I miss something?

Also I think it's 22% less emissions comparing the 6cyl to the outgoing V8, which sounds about right for 25% less cylinders.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-10-2017 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Also I think it's 22% less emissions comparing the 6cyl to the outgoing V8, which sounds about right for 25% less cylinders.
    No, you're right. I was thinking of other 48V systems even though I clearly read beltless. Lol.

Brb making a coffee!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Current C43 only emit 12% less co2 than C63.

Getting extra 10% is quite a bit deal.

But I would bet all the gain is from the stop and go cycles when the ICE never need to fire up int his set up when you creep along at rush hour.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Yah, but then when you are poor and say, Oh I can wait for a few year old C400 and then it changes, and then again and again it gets very annoying.
    You have Tesla changing stuff every year, and people praise it for being the future and traditional manufacturers don't get it.

Now we have traditional manufacturers changing stuff every year and it's annoying.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

You have Tesla changing stuff every year, and people praise it for being the future and traditional manufacturers don't get it.

Now we have traditional manufacturers changing stuff every year and it's annoying.
    Oh fuck tesla, I just want my launch model and mid cycle refresh
    By the time I finally buy a car it will be time for a CPO C53 anyways

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh fuck tesla, I just want my launch model and mid cycle refresh
    What's hilarious is that MB has been slowly converting to this model for years. They'd even sneak changes in mid year. The CLA and GLA got tons of updates yearly, and funny enough the refresh was minor. Owners complained about it, biggest reasons were resale value, and having to trade in the car to keep it current.

It does make the used market a royal PITA though. When we were looking for used Model S's, was painful finding the proper features we wanted/needed because of all the changes every year.

My Ride
    Grimace

What's hilarious is that MB has been slowly converting to this model for years. They'd even sneak changes in mid year. The CLA and GLA got tons of updates yearly, and funny enough the refresh was minor. Owners complained about it, biggest reasons were resale value, and having to trade in the car to keep it current.

It does make the used market a royal PITA though. When we were looking for used Model S's, was painful finding the proper features we wanted/needed because of all the changes every year.
    Android auto/carplay have also made it worse as each manufacturer has taken a different approach on how to add it. Seems like a feature worth having.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Put this 53 in a wagon and I'm sold in a heartbeat, C or E, doesn't matter to me. But unfortunately, we won't get either.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Put this 53 in a wagon and I'm sold in a heartbeat, C or E, doesn't matter to me. But unfortunately, we won't get either.
    I'm looking for a GLC 53 myself. Not going to lie, performance SUVs are appealing more and more to me as a year round vehicle.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I wouldn't mind something like a baby G wagon with this engine in it. Something under 100k after some options.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I wouldn't mind something like a baby G wagon with this engine in it. Something under 100k after some options.
    The base G is getting this engine, but that starts at $130k.

For a "baby-G" this will be the GLB class, so in about 3-4 years we'll see the AMG version (GLB45) which will have a 400hp 4 cylinder with the 48V system + electric turbo setup. I'm expecting you'll be able to load up with every single option here and still be well under $100k since the non AMG starting price will be in the 40s to 50s.

The GLB along with every other MFA2 vehicle (A,B,CLA,GLA,GLB) is getting tons of new shit. Dual screen displays like the E Class, Drive Pilot self driving options, it's going to be an awesome features/pricepoint vehicle.

Bright future ahead for MB cars.

My Ride
    V8s

Unless it has a crazy hybrid powertrain extended warranty, I wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole after it's a few years old/150k on it. Even Lexus has some issues with the RX hybrid powertrain once it gets used a bit.

Having said that, the powertrain sounds like it will be awesome. I'll probably be thinking about one of these after it's been out for a year or two and they've worked out some kinks. edit: new, not used per the previous paragraph. haha
    Last edited by bjstare; 08-11-2017 at 10:04 AM.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

I liked the GLC43. It would be hard for me to decide that, or Audi SQ5. Both seem very responsive.

or go after a 6.4 SRT GC

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm curious how reliability will come into play with all of this technology coming in.

I'm excited to see the new line-ups though!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast