Quantcast
Time to upsize your fuel pumps and injectors, e85 pump coming to Calgary?! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Time to upsize your fuel pumps and injectors, e85 pump coming to Calgary?!

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

Default Time to upsize your fuel pumps and injectors, e85 pump coming to Calgary?!

Last year when timing/delivery/cost of E85 barrels seemed to be problematic for me I emailed pretty much every imaginable source including several producers. Below is an email I received back this morning (over a year later). I'm still cautiously optimistic, given that fall feels like it's coming, but below is the response I received back from one of those producers

---

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your note and interest in our Company. Unfortunately we are only equipped and regulated to sell to wholesalers and blenders. However, we have been working diligently with retailers and are pleased to announce that a new E85 pump will be opening in Calgary at 2623-17th Ave. SW in the next month or so. This is just the first in what we believe will be a major push to bring higher blend choices to Albertans. We would be pleased if you would stop in at the retail location and see what the excitement is all about!

Have a great day!
    IS300 - 2JZ-GTE, DIY custom sequential 31psi at 2800rpms, yeehaw.

My Ride
    Silverado

my silverado is ready to go for e85. I will definitely give it a try for some hooligan fun.

damn my truck doesn't have the right RPO code even thought the engine is capable. missing some sensor from the factory.

For other 2015-2017 silverado owners with the 5.3 You need RPO FHS to be E85 compatible. FHO means it is not compatible.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-17-2017 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

E85 and E98 has been available in Alberta for two years now, through me.

This pump won't last, or I should say, I will be surprised if it will. Arcade in Vancouver went out of business, a gas station that has weather (and the wealth in the area, plus the car culture) to theoretically support ethanol fuel and they still couldn't make it, plus an owner that was well informed and part of the scene out there.

Due to our weather, ethanol will always be niche. Plus who knows what the consistency of the fuel will be. I suspect that due to low volume of sales, the ethanol they sell with end up having tons of water in it as they won't go through it fast enough to continuously replenish the tank.

Edit-
    I never got an email from you Kyle, for shame Swift bros should stick together (LONG TIME NO SEE DUDE!)
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 08-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    MR2

Yea the weather here is the biggest issue. Cold starts on e85 are horrible. They also don't do well sitting in a tank for long durations

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my silverado is ready to go for e85. I will definitely give it a try for some hooligan fun.

damn my truck doesn't have the right RPO code even thought the engine is capable. missing some sensor from the factory.

For other 2015-2017 silverado owners with the 5.3 You need RPO FHS to be E85 compatible. FHO means it is not compatible.
    Any easy way to see what RPO codes I have? Where is the plaque/plate located on the trucks?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Any easy way to see what RPO codes I have? Where is the plaque/plate located on the trucks?
    GMs are in the glovebox I think, or take the VIN to a dealer and they can print them all off.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'd be very surprised to see one that takes E85 out here, unless it was dealer swapped from Vancouver due to a specific order.

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

From what I hear Vancouver is full of Teslas and Lambos, so hopefully our community of home brew turbos and un-used 'flex-fuel' branded vehicles will support it better.

It has just felt like Calgary is so behind the times when you look at the volume of high horsepower, high boost, high torque cars that seem to be littered everywhere in the US. It's like we reached this peak comfort level of low-ish boost on crappy gas, maybe run some methanol (which sucks from a risk standpoint as a daily driver solution IMO) and that was good enough. While companies like induction performance in the US were able to push the limits further and harder in part because of the easy access to better fuels for cheap for both them and their customers.

The best way for guys here to step up their game (which again IMO could use some elevation on the performance side ...), is for it to be accessible. If its as easy as popping out of downtown on my way home, I'm much more likely to take my car to work and enjoy it anyway.

Ultimately I think it will be great if guys go out, use more of it and learn how to take advantage of it. I saw pretty awesome gains in torque, it lights off easier so could run higher boost without upgrading ignition, cooler combustion temps,... etc.. soo many good things about it from a performance aspect. Mine started ok to -5 or -10 pushing with E70 mix which surprised me. Colder temps, definite time to dilute.

All that said, products like yours also still make great sense as well. If I'm going for dyno day, race day, or just want to run a crap ton of boost day... I'll fill up from the barrel at home.

And agree on the ol Swift team sticking together. I wish I still had a Swift now... so easy to work on... gas mileage... and the junkyard turbo it had cost less than a set of spark plugs on my car now.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    E85 and E98 has been available in Alberta for two years now, through me.

This pump won't last, or I should say, I will be surprised if it will. Arcade in Vancouver went out of business, a gas station that has weather (and the wealth in the area, plus the car culture) to theoretically support ethanol fuel and they still couldn't make it, plus an owner that was well informed and part of the scene out there.

Due to our weather, ethanol will always be niche. Plus who knows what the consistency of the fuel will be. I suspect that due to low volume of sales, the ethanol they sell with end up having tons of water in it as they won't go through it fast enough to continuously replenish the tank.

Edit-
    I never got an email from you Kyle, for shame Swift bros should stick together (LONG TIME NO SEE DUDE!)
    IS300 - 2JZ-GTE, DIY custom sequential 31psi at 2800rpms, yeehaw.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    GMs are in the glovebox I think, or take the VIN to a dealer and they can print them all off.
    Thank you