Quantcast
PARE physical fitness course - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PARE physical fitness course

My Ride
    G37X

Yes I am. 32 now and it's time! I have enough life experience through past jobs as well as some second language skills that I feel I'm a good fit.

^Appreciate the advice Shlade!! Now that I have motivation to work out more, and know what to expect I can see the point. I've been doing some online practice
    tests as well. Some of them are easier than others, that's for sure. A photo of 20 people and you have to list how many had: glasses, beards, who had the batman symbol
    and on what item etc etc. Fun though

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Pm me if you need any help through the process... got a few buddies that are already at their postings for the past while with RC's and a couple currently in depot.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you're serious about joining the RCs, please read up on the internal rebellion regarding the white shirts. There are a host of problems with the brass and the internal politics are a joke. Also totally depends on what detachment you're posted at.

Many LEOs are leaving the RCs for municipal forces.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're serious about joining the RCs, please read up on the internal rebellion regarding the white shirts. There are a host of problems with the brass and the internal politics are a joke. Also totally depends on what detachment you're posted at.

Many LEOs are leaving the RCs for municipal forces.
    I'll check it out. I was considering other agencies, but lack of mobility and some serious internal strife within the ranks made me rethink that. I don't expect any agency to be free of drama or conflict.
    I'm quite used to dealing with passive aggressive types at my current occupation. Everyone from homeless folks to ceos and everyone in between. That said, I have lots to learn and am certainly open
    to learning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Pm me if you need any help through the process... got a few buddies that are already at their postings for the past while with RC's and a couple currently in depot.
    Will do, much appreciated. Always good to have an inside line
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-22-2018 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I'll check it out. I was considering other agencies, but lack of mobility and some serious internal strife within the ranks made me rethink that. I don't expect any agency to be free of drama or conflict.
    I'm quite used to dealing with passive aggressive types at my current occupation. Everyone from homeless folks to ceos and everyone in between. That said, I have lots to learn and am certainly open
    to learning.
    Nothing worse than already dealing with the rejects of society on a daily basis; the liberal, revolving door justice system..... and then to top it off, issues with the local detachment or fundamental issues further up the chain. The wheel of change turns VERY slowly with the RCs. Politics trumps common sense in too many cases.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-22-2018 at 04:02 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Nothing worse than already dealing with the rejects of society on a daily basis; the liberal, revolving door justice system..... and then to top it off, issues with the local detachment or fundamental issues further up the chain. The wheel of change turns VERY slowly with the RCs. Politics trumps common sense in too many cases.
    Guess I'd better brush up on my french.

My Ride

Again, not trying to dissuade you, but go online and check out some of the posting on forums such as Blueline, etc.

In some detachments (like the one I used to be in) many of the members were completely overworked - so much that some guys and gals were expected to come in on days off just to catch up on paper work (no pay).

Its a complete, male ego-dominated, macho culture so if you whine and complain you can be considered a weak member. PTSD issues were handled with a brown paper bag up until recently. The recuiters really need to take a page from the military and screen people better for PTSD tendencies.

My Ride
    G37X

Will do. I am somewhat used to working for free or without O/T as I'm self employed. Not that I'm always happy about that, but it typically allows some flexibility if I have
    an appointment or need an extra day off. Also regularly work 9+ hours without a lunch break and haven't snapped yet.

I work with a couple of whiners and have no plans on being that way. I try to use humor on such coworkers to try and motivate them and get them out of a funk. I've learned
    a lot over the past 5 years especially dealing with micro managers and extreme Type A supervisors.

I fully expect to have to pay my dues and bust my ass for at least the first 2-3 years.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Will do. I am somewhat used to working for free or without O/T as I'm self employed. Not that I'm always happy about that, but it typically allows some flexibility if I have
    an appointment or need an extra day off. Also regularly work 9+ hours without a lunch break and haven't snapped yet.

I work with a couple of whiners and have no plans on being that way. I try to use humor on such coworkers to try and motivate them and get them out of a funk. I've learned
    a lot over the past 5 years especially dealing with micro managers and extreme Type A supervisors.

I fully expect to have to pay my dues and bust my ass for at least the first 2-3 years.
    I personally would encourage you too look to another career.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wow, all the cops and ex-cops sound pretty down on the entire concept. That's a sad situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

And this doesn't even get into the personal issues that being a LEO causes. The RCMP used to have (not sure about today) a 70-80% divorce rate and a big substance abuse (mostly alcohol) issue.

Between moving every 3 years (depends on what mood the top brass is in), not seeing your SO due to shift work, the lack of proper support mechanism for the inevitable mental issues that will come up; its not a surprise.

With the RCMP, other than a Northern tax allowance, you make the same income whether you live in Burnaby BC or Okotoks. In Burnaby, that means you will probably end up in a bachelor or basement suite with no windows.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-23-2018 at 01:31 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

It seems that both CPS members I know are trying to steer me that way. But I really feel that the RCMP is my calling. Are you guys telling me to not even consider a career in law enforcement period?
    I've never had a problem with drugs or alcohol. Even under considerable stress. I do have concerns about how it will affect the relationship with my gf. She's on board though at this point. She's in the health
    care field so she's quite familiar with the ups and downs of this line of work.

This is not a money move, I will be taking a pay cut assuming I'm hired. It will take at least 1-2 years before I'm exceeding my current income.

One of my best friends dad's was a member for over 30 years. A jolly jovial sort of fellow who seemed to handle the job quite well. Happily married,
    no substance abuse issues or signs of PTSD that I've ever seen. Not saying it isn't a reality, just that a lot of it surely depends on your coping mechanisms.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-23-2018 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride

I would suggest that, if you've done your homework, readup on the latest issues from actual RCs, have for years wanted to join ..... and are aware of the difficulties and what the job REALLY entails (70-80% paperwork), then by all means go ahead.

The dark side is that you get to experience, at some level, of how corrupt the "system" can be - and Im talking white shirts and up.

I know some people who applied and thought it would be "interesting", but their idea of "interesting" did not include dealing with a particularly bad First Nations reserve, in the middle of nowhere, on an hourly basis, some days.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

I certainly appreciate the inside line from those in the know. I have thought about it for years, actually city policing, but I didn't feel that it was the right fit necessarily.

My current gig involves a ton of paperwork, phone calls and emails. Incident reports etc. I want to be more unglued from the desk. So anything will really be an improvement.
    As long as I'm away from the desk for a few hours a shift, cool. Can't wait to learn more performance driving.

Not interested in guns on a hobby basis, but open to learning more about marksmanship.

I have had many encounters with Natives especially when I was a static guard and security supervisor for 3 years. Was it fun? Not really. But I learned a lot about how to DE escalate
    a potentially stressful situation and prevent having my face caved in. In three years as a guard, I only had to physically remove or touch about 5 people. And I had one arrest which
    did not result in any injury to myself or the fellow involved. 99% of the time (before I was a supervisor) I was working by myself with poor radio reception and at some pretty rough sites.
    Considering the next to no training I received, I did pretty well. I have worked with over enthusiastic guards who carry 2 sets of cuffs and wear gloves all shift. I was never like that lol
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-23-2018 at 02:32 PM.

My Ride

I certainly appreciate the inside line from those in the know. I have thought about it for years, actually city policing, but I didn't feel that it was the right fit necessarily.

My current gig involves a ton of paperwork, phone calls and emails. Incident reports etc. I want to be more unglued from the desk. So anything will really be an improvement.
    As long as I'm away from the desk for a few hours a shift, cool. Can't wait to learn more performance driving.
    Your cruiser IS your desk. You will be sitting in it for 8-10 hours a shift, leaning over to the right to type reports, sometimes while driving to a call. You will be expected to maintain a high level of fitness as well.

Anyway, give it a shot if youre well-versed.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic_Cop View Post
    I personally would encourage you too look to another career.
    I'm curious if you're saying that in regards to his reply, or just policing in general?

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Honestly? Policing in general. I spent 6 years working with the RCMP, and jumped over to CPS. Ive been with CPS 10 years. I have a total of 16 years in. Most of that has been in a patrol capacity with the exception of about 5yrs I spent in traffic in Cps. I got to ride the Harley have fun etc. Policing has become a strange career, it used to be somewhat of a necessary evil, but it has lost its identity. I laugh every time i hear someone say “im fine ive worked shift work “. Yeah?? Well imagine doing 12hrs on dealing with all dregs of society, maybe giving cpr to a baby, while family members make sure your doing it all properly, then having no breaks. Working additional 5 hours past your shift, 3 hours sleep, go to court. Have to give expert testimony, get named in the papers, then have a 2 hour nap and go back and do it all again. This time your tired as hell, attend a homicide scene, be in a position where you better be taking the worlds best notes. File that and be called on again in 5years at court to remember every explicit detail, or you could face charges of perjury or several other charges internally or under the police act.

If this was 30 years ago, i’d say jump on it. Today?? Mate, runaway.!

Policing is in crisis.

It's not the type of crisis that is being portrayed in the media or by senior officers.

It's not a budget crisis or a training crisis or a "we can't hire the right people" crisis.

It's not a "police are targeting minorities" crisis.

It's not even a leadership or management crisis.

It's an IDENTITY crisis.

Cute hashtags and this week in the newsroom webpages attempting to foster a sense of belonging like a Silicon Valley blue chip really do nothing for the frontline who are increasingly confused by the conflicting tasks, messages and social narratives that are directly affecting policing.

This is what to think. This is how to act. This is what to say.
    This is what you can't say.
    Woe betide if you don't fall in line.

A frontline trying to adapt to constant change in technology, complexity of investigations and increased workload for trifling and non police matters (because service) while still trying to retain traditions from days gone-bye.

It's a frontline that increasingly feels isolated and unsupported.

A frontline without a voice.

What does it mean to say "I'm a police officer".
    What does a police officer do?
    What do society and police leadership want?

Arrest suspects for drug offenses? Or assist drug addicts by exercising discretion at safe consumption sites? Or revive drug users who have overdosed thereby putting the officers own health and safety at risk? All of the above? At the same time? What does this mean?

What does society and police leadership want?

It means officers are told to write tickets and generate revenue for motor infractions but to exercise discretion when attending social disorder incidents because, basically, there is no money in that and it merely jams the courts up. "It's not really in the public interest."
    Besides, mental health, addiction, vulnerability etc. What does this mean?

What does society and police leadership want?

It means that officers will be called to action by members of the public on what could be the worst day of their lives or during high risk, volatile, stressful (for the officer) and quickly changing circumstances.
    As a result of the decisions made or actions taken a police officer can be disciplined with criminal charges, internal professional standard investigations, civilly sued, called before the Law Enforcement Review Board or have ones name splashed across the media, merely due to occupation. An officer could even experience a combination of all of the above all stemming from a single action, decision or incident.

In civil society this type of relentless pursuit and multiple angles of attack are unheard of. It would likely be deemed a breach of a citizens charter rights if the police pursued a citizen so vigorously.

Is there any other occupation regardless of academic or qualifying standard held up to such scrutiny?

"But police are held to a higher standard." I hear you say.

What does this mean?

Higher than what standard? Higher than who's standard?
    Society's standard?
    Where are police officers recruited from?
    Has it been considered that police officers are increasingly being held to an impossible standard?

It is as if society and management wants robots with AI to replace humans to conduct policing duties. What does that look like? Policing without empathy, compassion, patience, discretion and common sense. What does that look like? Policing without humanity. Policing done by logic programming or mathematical code. Everything done by "the book". The policy manual. What does that look like?

The prevailing thought has been that officers face danger on the street due to an offenders actions.
    Increasingly it appears that the real jeopardy is in just showing up for work and suiting up.
    Being second guessed and judged by armchair quarterbacks, cop blockers, police administrators and the court of social media.

"You know what you signed up for".

Ask the average officer with any length of service if their expectations and subsequent experiences were accurate and one will hear a resounding NO.

As a result departments are hemorrhaging officers and struggling to recruit.

Are experienced officers recommending the career to friends? Family members?

Policing is in crisis.

It's an IDENTITY crisis.
    Last edited by Traffic_Cop; 01-24-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the jist of it. Still love my job but wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking to join. It’s become stressful just showing up before actually doing any of the work, and that’s due to a number of things.

However, I’d still highly recommend against the Mounties. They don’t belong in municipal policing, it just isn’t their thing. They aren’t structured for it outside of being call response/traffic enforcers, and you won’t become unchained from your desk. They do reports on everything and anything, and you’ll respond from a detachment and go back, rinse, repeat.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    G37X

Well that's a heavy read but I certainly read through it and do thank you all for giving your first hand experience on what reality is.

I'm quite used to dealing with extreme type A micro managers above me. It does get tiresome sometimes to feel like you've given it all to your
    job, nothing left in the tank and someone above you thinks "well, you did that wrong or even better, I don't care."

Supervisors who are black and white to the letter. It's a cliche, but we live in a world of gray especially when it comes to policing or security
    or anything really. Each situation is different. You can't just go by the book for everything. Each situation has different circumstances that require
    careful thought and consideration. I would've thought that those up at the top who have worked their way up would remember this. You can't just
    write a law or bylaw for every situation.

We are human beings and are dealing with humanity. Flaws and all. And you can't teach common sense. Such as the homeless man at work the other week
    who broke into our garbage room and was raiding the bottles and cans. I ask him to return the cans and leave and he has a severe speech impediment. We
    need to be able to deal with these types of people in a fair way.

I hear you on the Identity crisis. I have always approached security (both when I was a guard myself and at my current gig) from a helpful , friendly point of
    view unless the situation dictates otherwise. I always try to approach each person and situation as a blank canvas. Never felt the need to be that crazy guard yelling
    at kids or threatening to arrest people or ban them for minor issues that can be talked out. I've learned from some of the best in that regard including my best friends dad who
    was with the RCMP for 30+ years (including tac troop in Vancouver, stick fighter/gas man) But I can see how one could get burnt out and jaded running on 2-3 hours of
    sleep and then being torn apart in court. This is some heavy reading guys but gives me some important things to consider.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-24-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast