Quantcast
Sandstone / Macewan Review - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sandstone / Macewan Review

Question Sandstone / Macewan Review

Browsing around on realtor.ca, wondering why house prices in and around Sandstone, Hidden Valley, etc are significantly cheaper than some of the other neighborhoods around there. I'm from the deep South and am passively looking at my options in the NW. That area seems to have decent access to DT, not too far from shopping, schools, etc. I would've thought having the NW suffix at the end of the address would probably help increase the prices. Also, the City's assessment values are less than or equal to properties in Copperfield, New Brighton, etc. I plan on driving around those areas but am I missing something obvious that I need to consider?? Thanks!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by alsinha View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, the City's assessment values are less than or equal to properties in Copperfield, New Brighton, etc.
    You're comparing older communities (in the 20+ year range) with houses to nearly new houses... Most people will pay a premium for brand new finishings rather than 80's style cabinets and color schemes.

Questions for you:
    -How important is modern finishings to you?
    -What is your demographic? Elementary school kids? Pets? (so needs for schools or parks)
    -What is the price range you're looking at? I'm assuming you're looking at the standard 3 bedroom starter homes in the 1300 sq ft range if you're comparing to Copperfield and New Brighton. I believe that the lot sizes in these NW homes are larger just because they're older, vs some of those zero lot line properties you'll find in the SE.
    -Where are you now and why are you considering the NW? (distance to work, friends, family, etc)
    -Primary mode of transportation? Do you want walking distance, transitable, or car everywhere?
    Last edited by jwslam; 08-15-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    You're comparing older communities (in the 20+ year range) with houses to nearly new houses... Most people will pay a premium for brand new finishings rather than 80's style cabinets and color schemes.

Questions for you:
    -How important is modern finishings to you?
    -What is your demographic? Elementary school kids? Pets? (so needs for schools or parks)
    -What is the price range you're looking at? I'm assuming you're looking at the standard 3 bedroom starter homes in the 1300 sq ft range if you're comparing to Copperfield and New Brighton. I believe that the lot sizes in these NW homes are larger just because they're older, vs some of those zero lot line properties you'll find in the SE.
    -Where are you now and why are you considering the NW? (distance to work, friends, family, etc)
    -Primary mode of transportation? Do you want walking distance, transitable, or car everywhere?
    Requirements: Wide lots, mature trees, proximity to one of the FFCA elementary schools (without taking deerfoot). Looking at upgrading from a 3br 1600 sqft to 3/4br 2000+ sqft home. I drive to downtown but having transit option would be a positive for sure. And something that would appreciate with time. In the 500-525k, i can find quite a few fairly upgraded homes in that region (including walkouts).

My Ride
    FB6

I grew up in Sandstone, other than it being older, there isn't much downside to it. It's right at the number 3 bus terminal and has multiple roads to leave the community including 14th st, Centre st and Deerfoot. It's established and generally has larger lots and also has 2 elementary schools right in the community. There are a lot of empty nesters in Sandstone as it's an older community, but I think there are younger families too due to the proximity to the school.

Like jwslam said, it's the older houses (almost 30yrs old) and layouts that you have to deal with. You can renovate the finishes but changing the layout is costly and sometimes impossible. Also IMO, the age of houses in Sandstone is starting to show, the curb appeal of some of the houses are deteriorating. There are some like you said that are updated and kept nicer though. I don't think the average income is as high as say Hamptons where the houses seem to be in much better condition.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    I don't think the average income is as high as say Hamptons where the houses seem to be in much better condition.
    But then you'd have to deal with the Chinese neighbours and their methods of lawn care
    Plus I don't think you can get into Hamptons under $600k.

Edit: I only see 2 detached listings under 6

My Ride
    Bicycle

Requirements: Wide lots, mature trees, proximity to one of the FFCA elementary schools (without taking deerfoot). Looking at upgrading from a 3br 1600 sqft to 3/4br 2000+ sqft home. I drive to downtown but having transit option would be a positive for sure. And something that would appreciate with time. In the 500-525k, i can find quite a few fairly upgraded homes in that region (including walkouts).
    Wide Lots - checked
    Mature Trees - checked
    FFCA elemtary school - not sure what this is but there are 2 elementary schools on Sandarac Dr.
    2000+ sqft home - those are harder to find in both of these neighborhoods. Most are under 2000 sqft range and being age from late 80s to mid 90s, they usually have 8' ceilings where newer homes tends to standardize on 9' or more. The neighborhood also just hit 20-25 years. So you have hit the magical year where original mechanical stuff may need to be replaced or house may need major reno.
    Transit to DT - route 64 express would be your ride of choice.

NW doesn't mean much on the price because a lot of Asian owners just run them down and doesn't do much renos which kept the resale price a bit depressed on average. In other words, NW is now NE lite. Also there are also unlimited expansion going North, putting price pressure on old homes, especially ones that need work.

I have seen many houses in Hamptons (again vintage late early 90s to mid 2000s) with Asian owners, I would say 1/3 are in horrible condition and you know they have done dick all in maintenance or done some DIY basement built that are either with bad workmanship or bad taste (Have been to an Indian home where they have some Cleopetra/greek theme bedroom with a tub in the basement). And that's before you walk into a kitchen disaster. Or the fact that 3 generations live in the same house generate much higher wear and tear.

I'm Asian myself, so I may sound like I'm racist against my own kind but that's just an observation in protecting investment angle.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

Edit: I only see 2 detached listings under 6
    I'm guessing you're talking about Hamptons? That's out of our budget! I'm guessing Sandstone would have a fairly high Chinese population too eh? I'm brown; don't know if too many East Indians venture out in that direction lol.
    Whats the Chinese method of lawn care ?? Would I get yelled at if I didn't mow my lawn every weekend??

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'm guessing you're talking about Hamptons? That's out of our budget! I'm guessing Sandstone would have a fairly high Chinese population too eh? I'm brown; don't know if too many East Indians venture out in that direction lol.
    Whats the Chinese method of lawn care ?? Would I get yelled at if I didn't mow my lawn every weekend??
    If you don't want to mow your lawn, NW is the best place. Because most Asians don't either.

As for being Brown, Hamptons is about 40% Asian and 40% South Asian and the rest make up the last 20%. Expect most NW neighborhoods east of Sarcee trail to have 1/3 Asian, 1/3 South Asian, 1/3 White make up. Although I heard Nolan Hill has a huge Indian population but I'm not sure if that's just a bias observation based on nightly walk my buddy takes and smell curry everywhere.

I'm used to lack of lawn care of even external maintenance by my neighbors in Hamptons now and things got even worse when they introduced the carts. And it seems to degraded much faster that last 5-6 years.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-15-2017 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most of Macewan and Sandstone are quite nice, but make sure you spend some time on the street and in the alleys before you consider puttin an offer in. There are a couple pockets of the NE hidden in both of those neighborhoods, and spending 20 minutes walking around on a summer afternoon could save you a lot of heartache. Actually, do a nice afternoon as well as an evening walk, you'll know the type of people that live there pretty well.

I actually reccomend that for anywhere you are considering. Spend time in the alleys that's the place that the truth hides.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thanks guys!

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

By the sounds of it, you want to be close to a FFCA campus, have you enrolled/waitlisted your child yet? It's definitely a bit of a wait.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Most of Macewan and Sandstone are quite nice, but make sure you spend some time on the street and in the alleys before you consider puttin an offer in. There are a couple pockets of the NE hidden in both of those neighborhoods, and spending 20 minutes walking around on a summer afternoon could save you a lot of heartache. Actually, do a nice afternoon as well as an evening walk, you'll know the type of people that live there pretty well.

I actually reccomend that for anywhere you are considering. Spend time in the alleys that's the place that the truth hides.
    I second this, great advice.

Another idea is to go to the local grocery stores at the busy times (4-6 pm), you can see a decently good cross section of the population, the average type of cars people drive (all in one lot), etc etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If there's a convenience store like a 7-11, spend twenty minutes in that parking lot too. There's where all the trash in my neighborhood hangs out. Although my family hangs out there too, so
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

IIRC The east side of Macewan (closer to sandstone) has some low income housing - but I have a friend that lives in the west side (newer side) that is very nice and quiet.

Sandstone better for taking transit imo - but I am bias because I grew up there.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If there's a convenience store like a 7-11, spend twenty minutes in that parking lot too. There's where all the trash in my neighborhood hangs out. Although my family hangs out there too, so
    It's the Esso. Not a lot of trash, but there is the element... a number of the smaller houses/duplexes are rentals. The further from Beddington and the bus terminal, the better it is.

OP: I live in Sandstone in a NE sort of area. Here is what I can say about my area:
    It's a mixture of Asians and white. The white people run the gamut between professional and trash. Not a lot of other demographics, mostly south or central american.
    Look out if an area with lots of rentals, duplexes, or zero-lot lines. Most of sandstone is nicer houses, but they did put lower-cost houses in. Most have become run down or rentals.
    The 64 rocks for getting downtown if commuting. The 3 is slower, but you never have to wait long for one.
    The airport runway expansion eliminated about 98% of aircraft noise. It is quiet now.
    The houses made in the 80-90's have a way of nickle and dimeing you. Check to see if the deck/furnace/roof/windows/water heater (etc) are new. Check for sloping or broken concrete (a lot of the area settled after construction).

Overall, I'm happy with the area, but I'm not the typical suburb dweller.
    Last edited by Abeo; 08-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    By the sounds of it, you want to be close to a FFCA campus, have you enrolled/waitlisted your child yet? It's definitely a bit of a wait.
    Yup, she should be able to get a spot based on her waitlist #.
    Whether its worth picking our next home over is a different matter.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I second this, great advice.

Another idea is to go to the local grocery stores at the busy times (4-6 pm), you can see a decently good cross section of the population, the average type of cars people drive (all in one lot), etc etc.
    If OP goes to Superstore by Hamptons at 4-6pm, he would disown the NW. It's only slightly better than the Superstore at Sunridge.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If OP goes to Superstore by Hamptons at 4-6pm, he would disown the NW. It's only slightly better than the Superstore at Sunridge.
    Maybe I should have been more specific haha. A sobeys/safeway/coop is a good place to go. Places like superstore and costco attract residents from a fair distance outside the community where they're located.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Man am I glad I made the decision to move to Airdrie lol....you should come see our Superstore, it's like a whole new world. The only time I go to Calgary is M-F office hours to work then it's straight back to Deerfoot to GTFO.

If we ever do move back to Calgary though it will be in this area..seems like Beddington always has crazy NE type shit going on though.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Man am I glad I made the decision to move to Airdrie lol....you should come see our Superstore, it's like a whole new world. The only time I go to Calgary is M-F office hours to work then it's straight back to Deerfoot to GTFO.

If we ever do move back to Calgary though it will be in this area..seems like Beddington always has crazy NE type shit going on though.
    Agreed- lived in Airdrie for 5 years and then moved to Calgary for the past 5 years to be closer to family/childcare/downtown. Just moved back to Airdrie a couple weeks ago and so glad to be back. I would love to be inner-city Calgary in a reno'ed house etc but I am to cheap and it likely wouldnt be the best for the kids. I can deal with the drive, for the improvement in community. (AND THE SUPERSTORE haha)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast