Quantcast
New phone and constant harassment from collection agencies, options? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New phone and constant harassment from collection agencies, options?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default New phone and constant harassment from collection agencies, options?

Got a new cellphone and obviously the guy who had this number previously was a deadbeat. I have at least two separate collections agencies calling me a dozen times a day or so.

What's my best option to get rid of these guys? Changing numbers isn't handy because it's a corporate issued phone.

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

IPhone 6s.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You can block those numbers on iPhone.

Answer and tell them you will call the Police for harassment if they call again.

Had this happen to me. After the guy stopped yelling and I explained I would be calling the police they listened and took the number off.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 08-16-2017 at 07:58 AM.

This happened to me on my current phone about 6 years ago, someone used my number as their own. For one of them I just waited to be connected and explained the situation and they never called back, the other I found their web page and sent them an e-mail, they replied and told me they have taken my number off the case. It's not too hard to talk to people

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Download a call recording app.

When they call...

"Hi, be advised this call is being recorded. I am not NAME, I am YOUR-NAME. I received this number on DATE after being issued a new cell phone from COMPANY. I understand that you and other collections agencies are looking for NAME. However, I am not them. Please do not call me again regarding the outstanding debt for NAME. As I stated a moment ago, I am not NAME. Thank you. *disconnect*"

Has worked wonders for me over the past couple of years.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

As stated block the number that keeps calling. Or don't answer calls with numbers you don't recognize and let it go to voicemail.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Pay the guy's bills for him.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Can you not just work this out reasonably with the collections agencies? Simply tell them it isn't you, and to please not call again. If they don't believe you or appear not very receptive to that then ask to speak to their manager. At some point, it shouldn't be THAT hard to make them realize that you aren't him.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I get put on hold when I try to answer the phone call. Have blocked two of the numbers, but new ones have started calling me from the same two companies.

I will keep trying to talk to them, but so far it hasn't worked. Left them a message this morning.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One of the companies did answer when I called. the guy at EOS canada (working for Scotia dealer advantage) was really helpful and he said they can take this number off their file right away. Didn't even have to wait on hold long for that one. Minor wins.

I'm getting calls from several other groups though, so I'm anticipating this to be an ongoing issue. I'll either block or return these calls as time permits.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

This happened when we got a land line issued years back (now exclusive to cells), i had one caller who would call and leave a message every week. It got to the point I called them back, told them they obviously had the wrong number and the person no longer had that number (yet when i googled the phone number this person was still giving it out), and to please stop calling.
    About a month later after i called the company back, we got a call at 11:30pm, woke us up but didnt answer, it was the person the collection agencies where looking for - so thanks to her curiosity and caller ID i now had her new phone number which i happily gave out to the callers looking for her.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:08 AM.