Quantcast
Canmore and Banff cracking down on Airbnb rentals - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canmore and Banff cracking down on Airbnb rentals

Default Canmore and Banff cracking down on Airbnb rentals

Story here, context quoted below...

Canmore and Banff are cracking down on illegal short-term vacation rentals found on sites such as Airbnb and VRBO.

Under Canmore's land-use bylaws, operating a tourist home or short-term rental is currently illegal in the vast majority of residential areas. The practise is allowed if the property is in a commercial or mixed-use area, with a business licence.

The short-term rental homes are being partly blamed for the shortage in the availability and affordability of housing for the town's residents.

"When people make the choice to rent a suite in their home — or their entire unit — for short-term stays, it reduces the options for local workers to rent something for a longer period," Mayor John Borrowman said in a statement to Postmedia.

Borrowman added the town has seen an increase in complaints about illegal rentals since launching an awareness campaign to "help homeowners understand that putting their house on Airbnb or VRBO is not generally allowed."

As well, those with an authorized tourist home in Canmore pay a higher property tax — approximately triple the residential rate. Unauthorized homeowners renting through Airbnb only pay the residential rate, which gives them an unfair advantage.

Owners found operating an illegal rental could be fined up to $5,000.

Meanwhile, Banff has been enforcing bylaw regulations on the unauthorized use of residential homes as short-term rentals since 2014. To date, there have been 19 homes found to be breaking land-use bylaws because they are not a registered "Bed and Breakfast Home" with an associated business licence. In all cases, the listings have been removed.

Banff residents registering their homes on Airbnb would also violate Parks Canada's eligible residency restrictions, or "Need to Reside" provision, which dictates that to live in the town you must also be employed in Banff.

The Community Housing Strategy in Banff is also calling for a public education program similar to the one in Canmore. which would be directed at educating residents and homeowners on the land use bylaws.

Banff Mayor Karen Sorenson refused to comment when reached by Postmedia on Tuesday.

A quick search for rentals in Canmore and Banff on Airbnb showed more than 300 options available for each, with the average price per night being $219 and $253 respectively.

[email protected]

On Twitter: @JunkerAnna
    Interesting development, a new revenue stream for municipalities perhaps?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I find it hard to understand how a homeowner renting out a place for a few weeks a few times a year is reducing the amount of affordable rental housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 F350

my guess is because most of the homes that are available for rent sit empty when not rented?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I find it hard to understand how a homeowner renting out a place for a few weeks a few times a year is reducing the amount of affordable rental housing.
    $2000 a month vs $4000 a month from doing AirBnb. That's how. AirBnb will usually be priced slightly lower than hotels but that is way more than normal rental because the pool of money that support one over the other are not the same.

Hotel are from travelers and rental are from local wages.

At the time where the hotel industry is suffering due to lack of lodging for the staffs, I think AirBnb adds to the problem.

I think they should look at what San Francisco is doing and follow suit.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...way/101168688/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-16-2017 at 08:59 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not sure if its a strata rule or a municipal rule but years ago when my parents were renting their place out in Canmore out there were VERY strict rules on minimum rental periods.

Canmore does NOT like you renting your place out to ski bums for the weekend.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Air bnb is a hotel type thing which we are finding triggers different rules in different regions and hoas.

Compared to a normal 1 year lease,
    you get a high turnover of renters.
    You get more for a night then if you go monthly
    You can block off dates that you want it available for you.

Hotels vacancy is nit counted in rental housing rates. So a airbnb reduces availability of traditional rentals and increases the supply of hotel rooms.

We were considering buyibg a nice condo in canmore' with my uncle. airbnb it and use it once a month for us. You could almost make the same amount on a desirable place by taking it off the rental market use airbnb for tourists, and still use it yourself when you want.

Checked with my Airbnb rental in March and they say they are in a resort where it is allowed. I'm good!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I wonder what percentage of AirBNB rentals would revert to traditional long term rental accommodation if Airbnb was outlawed and what percentage would sit empty? . I have no idea how to accurately estimate this.

What do you guys think? 50/50?

Rich folks with a vacation property who are using Airbnb to defray a small portion of the housing cost aren't going to end up renting the place long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    $2000 a month vs $4000 a month from doing AirBnb. That's how. AirBnb will usually be priced slightly lower than hotels but that is way more than normal rental because the pool of money that support one over the other are not the same.

Hotel are from travelers and rental are from local wages.

At the time where the hotel industry is suffering due to lack of lodging for the staffs, I think AirBnb adds to the problem.

I think they should look at what San Francisco is doing and follow suit.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...way/101168688/
    Paris and Berlin have also tried cracking down on AirBnB, it's a growing concern in all big tourist centres.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

How the government can tell me it's illegal to rent my home out for short term instead of long term is beyond me. Can I list it on Rentfaster for the same rate as airbnb and then have it listed on both?

The affordable housing argument is BS considering no one is obligated to list their property as charity. If I buy a condo to rent out, I'm not obligated to rent it for cheaper than some magic limit, in fact I'm not obligated to rent it at all. The hotels argument is similar to what cabs are facing with ride sharing. If you want to win my business back, increase your value proposition. I use AirBNB and VRBO over hotels 100% (unless it's a resort) because on AirBNB I can get a full apartment with multiple rooms, a kitchen, living room and usually some other extra amenities for cheaper than a shitty hotel with a bed, a counter and a tv.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-16-2017 at 10:26 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    How the government can tell me it's illegal to rent my home out for short term instead of long term is beyond me. Can I list it on Rentfaster for the same rate as airbnb and then have it listed on both?

I have a feeling this fight will go like ride sharing.
    You know how we won't allow secondary suites? That's how government will act based on complaints of other property owners that don't want strangers coming and going in their neighborhood.

A lot of HOAs already have those rules in place without government interferance. You try to do short term rental on any vacation properties on the strip at Vegas will have the book thrown at you.

I wonder what percentage of AirBNB rentals would revert to traditional long term rental accommodation if Airbnb was outlawed and what percentage would sit empty? . I have no idea how to accurately estimate this.

Rich folks with a vacation property who are using Airbnb to defray a small portion of the housing cost aren't going to end up renting the place long term.
    AirBnb unit will not convert to long term rental and units will be off the market. The problem is long term pool converts to AirBnb because of higher ROI.

This is what's happening in San Francisco where rental companies are now not renewing leases on their properties and kick tenants out and convert to AirBnb.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You know how we won't allow secondary suites? That's how government will act based on complaints of other property owners that don't want strangers coming and going in their neighborhood.
    I can see it now: people needing to bring each AirBnB request to council meetings just like they have to with secondary suites.

The horror.

My Ride
    Model S

Whistler has a problem with them too. Major housing shortage there for the locals. The problem is anyone with property can make more by doing nightly rentals, which kills supply for the locals. City planners zone a certain amount of housing for residents, and a certain amount for hotels. AirBnB screws that all up.

My Ride
    NC1

How the government can tell me it's illegal to rent my home out for short term instead of long term is beyond me.
    This!
    We switched from monthly rentals to air bnb for our triplex and it has worked out really well.

Did you get a licensing to run a hotel? airbnb, uber, stuff like that are just mega corporations with big money bullying local municipalities to make easy money.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet 95/5. Most aribnbers are poor people speculating on proerpty. Rich people can afford to save their places for themselves without the risk of some strangers jacking off on their couches.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How do you guys work an AirBnB for a condo complex? Do you have to meet the people every time with keys and clean yourselves for each new person?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Just speculation but air bnb has to be The one thing saving the downtown condo market for rentals?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I kind of disagree these days, which is surprising because I usually support the capitalist side of view for these things

In Vancouver, trying to rent a place has become a competitive sport. Every single unit that goes to AirBnB puts pressure on the market here, and supply is totally insufficient for demand. Not only that, people who are doing this in places I've lived so far are bringing in a lot of shitty people who are disrespectful, noisy, and disruptive to the other tenants. In the last place I was living, some AirBnB tenants were linked to bike and storage locker thefts as well.

I kind of feel that it should be banned outright in Canada. If you want to run a bed and breakfast or other hotel style accommodation, get a commercial business licence and setup your operation in a properly zoned area.
    100%

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I kind of disagree these days, which is surprising because I usually support the capitalist side of view for these things

In Vancouver, trying to rent a place has become a competitive sport. Every single unit that goes to AirBnB puts pressure on the market here, and supply is totally insufficient for demand. Not only that, people who are doing this in places I've lived so far are bringing in a lot of shitty people who are disrespectful, noisy, and disruptive to the other tenants. In the last place I was living, some AirBnB tenants were linked to bike and storage locker thefts as well.

I kind of feel that it should be banned outright in Canada. If you want to run a bed and breakfast or other hotel style accommodation, get a commercial business licence and setup your operation in a properly zoned area. They should enforce it with sting operations, and people that break the ban should face 5000$ or more in fines.
    Is AirBNB really making it hard to rent outside of Downtown and other tourist hotspots?

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    How do you guys work an AirBnB for a condo complex? Do you have to meet the people every time with keys and clean yourselves for each new person?
    Every time I've rented an airBNB (I do it a lot), I've always met someone (usually the owner) and they give you the keys, a tour and let you know about any special circumstances you should be aware of and then they leave you alone unless you give them a reason to call. Then usually they tell you to leave the key somewhere and you just leave. I've never actually had anyone come and meet me upon check out. I have had people tell me to just pick up the key some where else or that they left the place unlocked and the key is inside.

Most places add a "cleaning fee" to the total price. I doubt most of them even clean the places unless there was an actual mess but every time I've got one it looked spotless upon arrival.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 08-16-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast