Quantcast
Windows 7 or Windows 10? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by know1edge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    windows to go is probably the only one of those features that comes in handy for personal use, everything else is for managing computers in a corporation.
    windows to go lets you install windows on a usb. like a portable computer. but you need a license for that anyways, so just go with Pro
    Thanks man!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    Thanks man!
    Pro/Enterprise/Education also allow you to run Hyper-V so you can build virtual machines under it. It may come in handy if you have something that isn't quite trust worthy and run it under a VM 1st.

Windows 10 is faster than 7?

I can't see that. I hate this 10. Its like nrw cell phones memory full of garbage apps ill never use and certainky dont want.

Im not smart enough how to remove it all. I hate the forced updates. Its seem that everytime i need to send an impotent doc or email, the stupid thing is in the middle of a 20 minute update

I see absolutley no way this is as good as windows 7.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    After you install W10 and let it do it's first round of updates, you should see all the programs you need to uninstall (they probably won't all be there immediately). I like to use CCLeaner to do my uninstalling, and it's a program you should have anyway. It's fairly obvious which ones need to go (sort by publisher: Microsoft to start narrowing it down):

Then just start hitting uninstall on everything you don't want, and google anything you're unsure about. DO NOT uninstall anything that looks like a driver (Qualcomm, Realtek, Samsung, Cisco, Intel, Nvidia, Marvell, etc.). DO NOT uninstall anything that says 'Microsoft Visual C++'.

This is a pretty complete list I think:

Open CC Cleaner, go to "Uninstall", it will bring up a big list, sort by publisher: Microsoft and you can get rid of:

- Anything with XBOX in the name
    - Anything with BING in the name (Bing Bar)
    - Anything with Office in the name
    - 3D Builder
    - One Note (unless you use it)
    - One Drive (unless you use it) (can only be disabled - right click it in the task bar)
    - 'Getting Started'
    - Everything with "Windows Store" in the name
    - Alarms
    - Camera
    - Films and TV
    - 'Get Office'
    - 'Get Skype'
    - 'Mail and Calendar' (I assume you have a real email account like Gmail)
    - Maps
    - Money
    - Music / Groove Music
    - Phone Companion
    - Voice Recorder
    - Weather
    - People
    - News
    - Insider Hub

You cannot easily get rid of Edge.

Then open the start menu, right click and remove all the games (they are just links for installs - Candy Crush, Solitaire, etc.). If any of them give you the option to "uninstall" instead, do so.

Then type "privacy" in the search bar and max everything out (if you're really paranoid you can go further with third party software).

Then type "user account control" in the search bar and set it to the lowest, or second lowest. This will stop your screen from dimming and being prompted to 'approve' everything. If you still have issues, you can set things to run as administrator. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...windows-vista/

When prompted, disable cortana as much as you can (cannot easily be completely disabled). Anytime a notification comes up in the notification center about Cortana or similar, right click and disable that type of notification.

It sounds like a lot but it should take no more than a few minutes. Before, you used to have to use Power Shell to get rid of a lot of this stuff, but now you can just uninstall it. You can also get any of this back if you wan't, nothing is permanent.

Free programs you probably want to get right away:
    - Firefox or Chrome (your preference, make sure to get 64bit version and install AdBlock add on right away)
    - VLC Media Player (music and videos)
    - Media Monkey (if you listen to FLAC)
    - CCLeaner (you should have this already from earlier)
    - Malwarebytes (turn off active monitoring, but use it to run periodic checks)
    - Skype for desktop (if you need it and don't want to use the Microsoft app)
    - FS Image Viewer (extremely fast viewer and basic editor for all types of photos, even RAW)

After you've installed the programs you want like Chrome, VLC, Media Monkey, FS Viewer etc. type 'default programs' into the search bar and go to where you can set all the defaults. Change your internet browser, media player, photo viewer, etc. away from the Microsoft crap.

Then go ahead and install all the normal programs/games that you use. Windows Defender is fine too, no need to get a third party AV.
    There has to be a script somewhere that does all this. Were talking about an hour of just fiddling around otherwise - and thats for a TECH person.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    There has to be a script somewhere that does all this. Were talking about an hour of just fiddling around otherwise - and thats for a TECH person.
    Wow good guide. Intimidating and frustrating. They should make bloatware illegal

I don't see any need to do most of that.

Again, just disable One Drive if you don't want to use it, install other programs you want, and that's about it.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 08-22-2017 at 09:49 AM.

And as far as privacy goes, it doesn't really matter what operating system or browser you use. Nothing is really private when you're on the net.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    Cool, thanks! I don't know what any of that stuff is though, is it worth going with Enterprise for that stuff or better to go with Pro to save disk space?
    Stick with Pro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Windows 10 is faster than 7?

I can't see that. I hate this 10. Its like nrw cell phones memory full of garbage apps ill never use and certainky dont want.

Im not smart enough how to remove it all. I hate the forced updates. Its seem that everytime i need to send an impotent doc or email, the stupid thing is in the middle of a 20 minute update

I see absolutley no way this is as good as windows 7.
    People who have issues with updates are those who push them off over and over then Microsoft says nope gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Stick with Pro.

- - - Updated - - -

People who have issues with updates are those who push them off over and over then Microsoft says nope gotta do it.
    Thats the other thing i dislike is being forced to update. I dont want it or need it. Please stope messong with my stuff lol

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Thats the other thing i dislike is being forced to update. I dont want it or need it. Please stope messong with my stuff lol
    You do need it and should want it as that is what keeps your system up to date. If updates didn't exist things like the Blaster worm could still be prevalent.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its a lose/lose thing for MS. If they update your PC automatically, people bitch about the constant barrage. If they DONT update your PC automatically, people bitch about the exploit malware infestations they got from MS not doing updates.

Thats the other thing i dislike is being forced to update. I dont want it or need it.
    If you really want to disable updates, then just disable it in services.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Then why the hell would you buy a Tesla?

Anything tech, you will get better support if you stay with the mainstream. Too far ahead or behind is asking for trouble and require much higher level of knowledge to support. Ideally you can stay on Windows 7 forever with your 2016 or older PC. The minute update to hardware that is from 2017 or newer, windows 10 is your only choice.

You can stay on whatever OS you want on old hardware. I still see a lot of critical machines running XP. But if anything breaks on those system, good luck finding support as the industry has already moved on.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I came across a lightweight little gui app called W10Privacy which manages all the W10 settings related to sending your whole life to Microsoft. A nice one-stop way to click 'nope' to the 100 things it would like to do with your data.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2