Quantcast
BF Goodrich K02 All-Terrains on a daily driver? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BF Goodrich K02 All-Terrains on a daily driver?

My Ride

Default BF Goodrich K02 All-Terrains on a daily driver?

Hey all,

My truck needs new tires - up until now I have been daily driving the BF Goodrich K02 All-Terrains that came with it, but also living in smaller towns where driving was minimal.

I love the look of the tires, they have taken a ton of abuse normal tires wouldn't, and they are great when I go offroading occasionally. Except for a few sketchy situations on icy roads, the tires have been great year round. Even a very short google search shows a lot of complaints of these tires wearing out super fast now however. How bad of a pick is this for a daily driven vehicle in Calgary that is on roads 95% of the time? Any better suggestions?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Do you want a good looking tire, or the best performing tire?

For what you are doing, there is only one choice, the Michelin LTX M/S (might be the M/S2 now). Fantastic wear, fantastic grip year round, and great ride. It's the cream of the crop tire.

I hate K02's. Everyone seems to fawn over them, but when they wear (usually wearing in a funny way), they become crazy loud.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Look great, poor wear, bad on ice. Wouldn't be my choice for a daily driver.
    If you like fountain tire four for three, the Goodyear wrangler AT with Kevlar is good. And when on sale, much cheaper than those Michelins, which I hear are also awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

KO's wear really well for some and less well for others, which is really true of all tires, but with a design like they use, they are very much affected by driving style, but as an all terrain tire that is truly used for all purpose, they do very well. If you buy them for the look only and drive your truck only on road and in a manner like you stole it, they will not survive as well as a tire that has a milder tread pattern. Duratracs have the same issues.

I drive 200-plus KM's a day now and I have been using the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and they are proving to be fantastic! Super smooth and quiet, handle well and wet traction is second to none. About 20k in now and they really show negligible wear at all. I have no problem recommending those if you want a very user friendly tire. They just are not gnarly looking at all, but it all depends what is important to you.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Look great, poor wear, bad on ice. Wouldn't be my choice for a daily driver.
    Are you sure that you are not referring to the KO? The KO was shit on ice and snow. However, the KO2 is a huge improvement in just about every way then the KO.

Snow and Ice traction is great, I am at around 50k or so and I would say I will be good for another 30k. Road noise is still minimal (much improved vs the KO). No abnormal wear. I would say 80% of my driving is City.

I would say that as far as the aggressive AT tires go, the KO2 is the best (duratrac, ko2 ETC). But if you want a tire that will last 100k + and be very quiet, as stated, the Michelin LTX M/S2 is the best tire.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    KO's wear really well for some and less well for others, which is really true of all tires, but with a design like they use, they are very much affected by driving style, but as an all terrain tire that is truly used for all purpose, they do very well. If you buy them for the look only and drive your truck only on road and in a manner like you stole it, they will not survive as well as a tire that has a milder tread pattern. Duratracs have the same issues.

I drive 200-plus KM's a day now and I have been using the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and they are proving to be fantastic! Super smooth and quiet, handle well and wet traction is second to none. About 20k in now and they really show negligible wear at all. I have no problem recommending those if you want a very user friendly tire. They just are not gnarly looking at all, but it all depends what is important to you.
    My KO2's wore well and lasted a lot longer than I have read they do - but I also do not drive hard at all. I also have not noticed them to be noisy at all.

I do like the look of the K02's, but not enough to pass up a substantially better tire for a daily driver. How do the LTX M/S hold up off-roading or with some abuse. I don't go offroading often, but when I do, its not great terrain. Are they good enough in the winter that I can run one set of tires year round?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Are you sure that you are not referring to the KO? The KO was shit on ice and snow. However, the KO2 is a huge improvement in just about every way then the KO.

Snow and Ice traction is great, I am at around 50k or so and I would say I will be good for another 30k. Road noise is still minimal (much improved vs the KO). No abnormal wear. I would say 80% of my driving is City.

I would say that as far as the aggressive AT tires go, the KO2 is the best (duratrac, ko2 ETC). But if you want a tire that will last 100k + and be very quiet, as stated, the Michelin LTX M/S2 is the best tire.
    Mine are K02's. They were definitely not the greatest in winter conditions - I mostly had no issues because I drive for the weather, not speed limits. I haven't found the noise or how long they last to be an issue, its simply the grip in winter, otherwise I would have just replaced them with new K02's by now.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The tires were brand new when I went to this release event. I left the event impressed.

http://www.beyond.ca/driving-impress...-ms/53082.html

Quote Originally Posted by 5hift View Post
    My KO2's wore well and lasted a lot longer than I have read they do - but I also do not drive hard at all. I also have not noticed them to be noisy at all.

I do like the look of the K02's, but not enough to pass up a substantially better tire for a daily driver. How do the LTX M/S hold up off-roading or with some abuse. I don't go offroading often, but when I do, its not great terrain. Are they good enough in the winter that I can run one set of tires year round?

They just are not an aggressive tread pattern so if you are driving in an area that you need more "bite" or the ability to move large amounts of mud away from the tread surface, no they will not do that, but if you are just rolling around on travelled logging roads etc they will roll along just fine. As for winter, none of these tires have the compounding to deal with extreme cold temperatures while still remaining soft and flexible so you cannot expect any real ice traction, but they are as good of an all season as you will get from others brands. The all terrain tread patterns will give you better digging ability in deeper snow though.
    There are always some trade offs in one area when you want to make improvements in another. This all said, you have already experienced the KO 2's and you know they work well for you and meet your needs. Yes you can tweak aspects of the tires in different areas, but is that going to make your usability better? That is the question you need to ask yourself.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I was really impressed with the KO2s I ran last winter. I was driving like a real horse's ass but never had any issues. I put 50,000km on them, probably 80-85% highway/pavement and the rest gravel, and they wore fine. On a 3/4 ton diesel truck. If it wasn't for their winter performance I wouldn't run them. I think they're hideously ugly, and they're awful in anything wetter than desert-dry dirt. But they're better than the studded Duratracs that I've been running before.

I much prefer the look and mud performance of the Toyo ATIIs I have on my other truck, but they're not very good in the winter.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I wonder if there was a bad batch of K02's because I've had mine for 18 months, in winter, drove on gravel weekly, now drive them in hot-ass Houston and they are fine. Have 60,000kms, and I run them at 40psi cold. I do notice they are louder than when I bought them, but not even close to the Duratracs I had on my 4Runner.

Do you guys running them tow? That's my main concern.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I didn't do any towing, or hauling of any significance with mine.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Love the K02's on my F-150. I've got the 18" FX4 rims, I could see how the 20's wouldn't perform as well in winter.

Believe it or not, they're much quieter than the stock garbage Wranglers that came with the truck. They grip well in ice and snow, and I am getting great wear out of them, rotated regularly. Plus the white letters look badass.

$1100 installed at Costco.

Name:  IMG_9305.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9360.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  56.8 KB
    Last edited by Maxx Mazda; 08-17-2017 at 10:58 PM.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

General grabber AT2 optional studded is a really if your looking for an affordable A/T tire

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I run KO2's on my stock 20's on my F150. They've been great, no issues and not noisy. Better than the stock Pirellis, and better than the Nokian Rotiiva I replaced.
    However, I have not run them in the winter, I run set of Toyo walnut tires.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

While I run Duratracs on my GX470, some of the Cooper tires have caught my eye, mainly the Discoverer STT Pro and S/T Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    While I run Duratracs on my GX470, some of the Cooper tires have caught my eye, mainly the Discoverer STT Pro and S/T Maxx.

I run the st maxx and love it. Will be moving them onto my lx470 and running the stt pro on my 80

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

The STT pro's are really loud. It's all dependent on what the OP wants. Sounds like he's on road 95% of the time - the K02's are a much better option. The STT is a great tire if he's hitting the sand hills or Maclean every weekend.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Yokohama G015 is a great daily driver with snow and off road capabilities. Quiet running tire as well.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    I run set of Toyo walnut tires.
    That sipe pattern is insane.

have you compared to studded? I am tempted to go studded this winter with my F150. Spent the last 6 winters on DMV-1s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast