Quantcast
Soccer (Football) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer (Football)

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Soccer (Football)

Im missing the banter and insults with my friends back home.

Does anyone watch the English Premier League on here? New season kicked off last week.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im missing the banter and insults with my friends back home.
    How does Ronaldo games for that. Barely put his hand on him.
    Last edited by roopi; 08-22-2017 at 11:12 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Ahem... The English Premier league not the pansy pink knicker Spanish league.

Ronaldo, he's a great player but you can't disrespect the match official like that. That sort of shit ends up being replicated in the playground. The ban was too lenient in my opinion
    If the situation was reversed, Ronaldo would have fallen over and cried.

I watch as much as I can. Dad's a City supporter as he grew up going to the games. Most of my mum's family are United supporters. I was born in the UK but moved here when I was little at that time there wasn't much coverage and the coverage that we did get was skewed toward United. Between that and being exposed more to them when we were back visiting - I'm a United supporter.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    I watch as much as I can. Dad's a City supporter as he grew up going to the games. Most of my mum's family are United supporters. I was born in the UK but moved here when I was little at that time there wasn't much coverage and the coverage that we did get was skewed toward United. Between that and being exposed more to them when we were back visiting - I'm a United supporter.
    Interesting, what are your thoughts on Mourino and the team this season? I was listening to Talksport and it seems like Man Utd are favourites to win this season. Lukaku looks meanacing. I should have picked him for my fantasy football team.
    I still think they need a playmaker in midfield, I don't rate Pogba, he is a like a gloried European version of Shaun Write Phillips and Asprillia from the 90's combined.

I've liked Mourino since his first stint at Chelsea. I don't agree with everything he's done and he can be a bit of an ass hat at times but he gets results. He also seems to have mellowed a bit since he joined. The team looks like it coming in to it's own this year. Moyes was a disaster and Van Gaal lost the plot after a promising world cup. Even though West Ham were poor we haven't put in a performance like that since the Fergie days. Lukaku does look a good buy, hopefully he keeps on scoring.
    Agreed about Pogba. So inconsistent. some games he will be brilliant - others, completely anonymous. Having said that, he has looked better since we brought Matic in.
    Who do you support?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

My team is the Gunners (Arsenal). But im a bit of a passive supporter. I just like watching the games and the drama. Especially like last week, Burnley beating Chelsea. Thats like getting beat by a local pub team..lol

My Ride
    Honda Civic

My team is the Gunners (Arsenal). But im a bit of a passive supporter. I just like watching the games and the drama. Especially like last week, Burnley beating Chelsea. Thats like getting beat by a local pub team..lol
    YEAH BUDDY! ARSENAL!

I'm the same as you; love watching any game for some sexy football highlights/plays.

I have a friend who's a Gunners supporter. Part of the Calgary and Canada fan clubs. She has been to quite a few events with them and met players. This year she took off last minute to watch the FA cup. It's always funy when a big team gets beaten by one of the promoted teams. Although that seemed to be what we did for a few years; welcome the new teams to the premiership by losing to them.
    How do you feel about the whole Wenger situation?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I follow closely.

Interesting start to the season, especially if you play fantasy.

If Manchester United can get clicking, they have a serious shot, especially compared to the LVG and Moyes era.

Spurs are still the most exciting team to watch. Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Son - so many players who can create and score a lot. Solid D and pressing game too.

City look as great as they ever have on paper, and they'll be up there too.

It's always hard to predict what kind of season Liverpool will have, great offense (even if coutinho leaves) but really shoddy defending and goalkeeping.

I feel that Wenger is out of ideas and Arsenal need a clean pallet to be serious title contenders. With no UCL this year there is really no excuse not to finish top 4 (haha) and they shouldn't consider it a successful season if they weren't in the title race until the last game.

Everton are looking a serious threat with some big signings after Lukaku leaving. If anything, they look relatively weaker up front, but defense and midfield are of top 5 quality, and it will be interesting to see how they affect the race with the top 6.

Edit: Oh yeah, Chelsea. Well coached team but very one dimensional so far. Having no UCL or even Europa was a big factor last year in winning the EPL. Their two main wingbacks stayed healthy for virtually the whole season which is so important given the way they play. They'll need to be rested a lot more this season and/or be sidelined due to more injury proneness.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 08-18-2017 at 07:17 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I have a friend who's a Gunners supporter. Part of the Calgary and Canada fan clubs. She has been to quite a few events with them and met players. This year she took off last minute to watch the FA cup. It's always funy when a big team gets beaten by one of the promoted teams. Although that seemed to be what we did for a few years; welcome the new teams to the premiership by losing to them.
    How do you feel about the whole Wenger situation?
    The Wenger situation is a bit of a mixed bag. I listened to many radio show with fans giving some very interesting insights. I.e better the devil you know, than the devil you don't etc.
    He's done really well, his playing philosophy is good. But I think like Ferguson, Bobby Robson and other old managers in their time, he has mellowed out. Arsenal has a team but has no depth, thats the problem. You need more than 11 good players to win the league. Arsenal run out of steam at the end. As soon as one player is injured I find the whole team goes out of balance. There is also the issue of a number of players going out of contract soon. If Wenger leaves, then the next manger will have to build from the ground up.
    The team needs natural leaders, people don't realise the importance of that in the premier league. Its a huge factor. Wenger needs to spend, there were a few bargains out there. He is not spending and when he does, he is not playing the players or getting rid of players who don't really perform (Theo Walcot). He needs to go, but albeit go out with dignity and not fade away.

@Skyline

Who do you have in your fantasy? Im so out of it, I picked random players.

Im not sure about Manchester UTD. They have a sloth in midfield that is has a playing style of two players I mentioned above.
    Spurs can do it but they fall apart when under pressure. Look what happened when Leicester won the title..? They are the 90's Kevin Keegan's Newcastle in disguise.

Everton will just be...Everton.. they spent enough to stand running still.

Do not get me started on that pussy team Liverpool. I should ask to have you banned for mentioning them. They are nothing more than a pie and mash franchise. Ive been saying that since the 90's.
    They put up a big hoohaa when playing big teams, they dance around helicoptering their dicks and go on about the stink of Shankley. But they are SHIT. The glory is not theirs. Its like selling pies and mash on a franchise model. You dance around how great your pies are etc. But the recipe, glory of it all is not yours, no it came from someone who started the franchise decades ago.
    Take how much they spend and the size of the club, they are shit. This is blinded by the stink of Shankley and the history from the 70's.
    Fuck no. They are not even contenders. The formula is always the same. They play well and everyone thinks they are going to win the league, then come Christmas they fuck up and go on a bad run and get beaten by pub teams. Then near the end of the season they go on a winning run and people think they have a chance of winning again. oh and they win the shitty coca-cola/league cup that non of the big teams care about. Fuck no, Liverpool are shit.

Chelsea will be interesting. Your right about the style of play. Teams adapt, same happened to Newcastle and Arsenal years ago.

lol, I thought it was only United fans that had that much hate for Liverpool. It's brilliant every year when the have a good pre season and their fans go on about it being their year. Then they inevitably do what Liverpool do.

Good result for United again, let's hope it continues. Pogba wasn't great again but then set the first goal up and got another one of his own.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

The Wenger situation is a bit of a mixed bag. I listened to many radio show with fans giving some very interesting insights. I.e better the devil you know, than the devil you don't etc.
    He's done really well, his playing philosophy is good. But I think like Ferguson, Bobby Robson and other old managers in their time, he has mellowed out. Arsenal has a team but has no depth, thats the problem. You need more than 11 good players to win the league. Arsenal run out of steam at the end. As soon as one player is injured I find the whole team goes out of balance. There is also the issue of a number of players going out of contract soon. If Wenger leaves, then the next manger will have to build from the ground up.
    The team needs natural leaders, people don't realise the importance of that in the premier league. Its a huge factor. Wenger needs to spend, there were a few bargains out there. He is not spending and when he does, he is not playing the players or getting rid of players who don't really perform (Theo Walcot). He needs to go, but albeit go out with dignity and not fade away.

@Skyline

Who do you have in your fantasy? Im so out of it, I picked random players.

Im not sure about Manchester UTD. They have a sloth in midfield that is has a playing style of two players I mentioned above.
    Spurs can do it but they fall apart when under pressure. Look what happened when Leicester won the title..? They are the 90's Kevin Keegan's Newcastle in disguise.

Everton will just be...Everton.. they spent enough to stand running still.

Do not get me started on that pussy team Liverpool. I should ask to have you banned for mentioning them. They are nothing more than a pie and mash franchise. Ive been saying that since the 90's.
    They put up a big hoohaa when playing big teams, they dance around helicoptering their dicks and go on about the stink of Shankley. But they are SHIT. The glory is not theirs. Its like selling pies and mash on a franchise model. You dance around how great your pies are etc. But the recipe, glory of it all is not yours, no it came from someone who started the franchise decades ago.
    Take how much they spend and the size of the club, they are shit. This is blinded by the stink of Shankley and the history from the 70's.
    Fuck no. They are not even contenders. The formula is always the same. They play well and everyone thinks they are going to win the league, then come Christmas they fuck up and go on a bad run and get beaten by pub teams. Then near the end of the season they go on a winning run and people think they have a chance of winning again. oh and they win the shitty coca-cola/league cup that non of the big teams care about. Fuck no, Liverpool are shit.

Chelsea will be interesting. Your right about the style of play. Teams adapt, same happened to Newcastle and Arsenal years ago.
    Lol, love the Liverpool hate. Everything I said was a pragmatic and analytical commentary of the teams part of the now-traditional top 6 race. I'm not taking into account how obnoxious the fans are, which I understand gives Liverpool the reputation they have with pretty much any other team's fans. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I do like Klopp and they have some exciting attackers.

I am honestly not sure who you are talking about in Man Utds midfield? If you're talking about Matic, I would highly disagree - he is going to be a key player for them and the first 2 games of the season have so far proved that. If you're talking about Pogba, Matic is going to be huge in allowing Pogba to free role in the midfield and be a proper box-to-box player. Pogba still needs to prove himself though, he has not been convincing since he got there but has got off the a great start this season due to the reasons (Matic) above.

If Spurs lack anything it's depth. The new Sanchez guy is good and really helps them out if Alderweireld or Vertonghen are injured. If they get Barkley, it adds another good option in midfield to compliment Alli, Eriksen and Son.

Oh and Arsenal lost to Stoke today hahaha.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline_Addict View Post
    Lol, love the Liverpool hate. Everything I said was a pragmatic and analytical commentary of the teams part of the now-traditional top 6 race. I'm not taking into account how obnoxious the fans are, which I understand gives Liverpool the reputation they have with pretty much any other team's fans. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I do like Klopp and they have some exciting attackers.

I am honestly not sure who you are talking about in Man Utds midfield? If you're talking about Matic, I would highly disagree - he is going to be a key player for them and the first 2 games of the season have so far proved that. If you're talking about Pogba, Matic is going to be huge in allowing Pogba to free role in the midfield and be a proper box-to-box player. Pogba still needs to prove himself though, he has not been convincing since he got there but has got off the a great start this season due to the reasons (Matic) above.

If Spurs lack anything it's depth. The new Sanchez guy is good and really helps them out if Alderweireld or Vertonghen are injured. If they get Barkley, it adds another good option in midfield to compliment Alli, Eriksen and Son.

Oh and Arsenal lost to Stoke today hahaha.
    I was referring to Pogba. He is a sloth... But i would agree about Matic.

Name:  p0515rhm.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  83.9 KB

Though Utd have started strong. You can't really tell till Christmas, thats the old rule. After Ferguson left, I find Utd are almost becoming a 'Liverpool'. I'l wait to see how they fare against the bigger teams, how they adapt with injuires and momentum.

Arsenal FML. I saw the first goal and I could see the Stoke players pushing Arsenal wide knowing Arsenal never cross the ball.

The Southampton vs West Ham game was good. The drama lolz

Tottenham lost to Chelsea at home. Thats not good..

Newcastle lost, flm.. I had Newcastle defenders in my team.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I was referring to Pogba. He is a sloth... But i would agree about Matic.

Name:  p0515rhm.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  83.9 KB

Though Utd have started strong. You can't really tell till Christmas, thats the old rule. After Ferguson left, I find Utd are almost becoming a 'Liverpool'. I'l wait to see how they fare against the bigger teams, how they adapt with injuires and momentum.

Arsenal FML. I saw the first goal and I could see the Stoke players pushing Arsenal wide knowing Arsenal never cross the ball.

The Southampton vs West Ham game was good. The drama lolz

Tottenham lost to Chelsea at home. Thats not good..

Newcastle lost, flm.. I had Newcastle defenders in my team.

Definitely. It's early on and Man Utd haven't faced any real opposition yet. Christmas time is usually a very reliable indicator of how the standings will look like at the finish.

Conte got his tactics spot on against Spurs and just frustrated the hell out of them. A couple moments of magic from Alonso and it was game over. I still expect Spurs to start picking up steam by the next game, especially considering that Harry Kane hasn't quite got into gear yet, which he will. Still early on, but that's a game Spurs really needed to win both psychologically and for how it will certainly play into the title race.

Huddersfield. What a team lol.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I was listening to talksport on how much money Penguin man Benitez has spent at Newcastle and how much money Steve Bruce at Aston Villa has spent compared to Huddersfield. Makes you think its not always about money. Huddersfield spent wisely and bought players who were team captains, so the team is full of leaders of some sort. A bit like the old Wimbledon team.

I remember going to watch Wimbledon play Leeds almost 20 years ago at Elland Road

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I remember going to watch Wimbledon play Leeds almost 20 years ago at Elland Road
    Holy crap. What was that like?

It was good; around December time 1998. My cousin is a Leeds fan so got us corporate tickets. We had dinner at the stadium then went out a door to our seats. The atmosphere was incredible but so many anti United songs being sung.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I find the songs hillarious.
    I went to a Chelsea vs Aston Villa cup quarter final. The songs were brilliant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast