Quantcast
New to Road Bikes - Narrowed Down a Purchase, or Have I? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Road Bikes - Narrowed Down a Purchase, or Have I?

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Default New to Road Bikes - Narrowed Down a Purchase, or Have I?

I think I've narrowed down my bike purchase and it comes down to a the following:

2017 Cannondale Synapse Disc Tiagra - $1,349 on sale (MSRP $1,599) - SPECS HERE
    2017 Cannondale Synapse Disc 105 - $1,699 on sale (MSRP $1,999) - SPECS HERE
    2017 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW Tiagra - $1,999 - SPECS HERE
    2016 Specialized Diverge Comp DSW 105- $2,399on sale + some additional wiggle room (MSRP$2,999) - SPECS HERE

Is there anything else in this price range i should be looking at? The Specialized models are a little more money compared to the Cannondale's (with similar groupsets), but is it worth the difference?

Looking for a good all rounder bike. I'm not planning to do any races, or events, but id like something half decent. I narrowed my choices down to these models after doing some research, and following some recommendations on which endurance/adventure models i should be looking at.

Link to comparison: https://www.bowcycle.com/comparison/...63~12743~12745

Help?
    Last edited by Joe-G; 08-20-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Man, those Specialized specs are all in the wrong rows which makes it annoying for comparison. Personally, I'm a fan of Specialized stuff already and the fact that those Cannondales use FSA components turn me away from them even more.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Hey Joe! Welcome to the world of road cycling. I see your comparison but what I see is that Diverge is a cyclocross bike and the Synapse is more of an endurance bike. Diverge, you can definitely fit bigger tires making it more comfortable to ride and could also take it off road. Synapse would be the usual road bike made for endurance cycling and would be just more comfortable (maybe) on cobblestones, etc.

I just got into the cycling as well, only been a year now and loving it! In terms of purchasing though, I would recommend to wait for sales as this is the time of the year where everything will be on sale. Also, for new bikes, look into the service. I learned that you don't just pay for the bikes, you pay for what service you get after the purchase. Pure Cycle has the lifetime service, others have 2 or 3 years.

EDIT: I also learned that a lot of road bikes don't have a complete, one type, of groupsets. They change, for example, the crankset instead of having a full ultegra groupset to make the bike cheaper. In terms of groupsets, the "hierarchy" from good to best is Tiagra > 105 > Ultegra > Dura Ace; just to keep that in mind when you purchase a bike (with Shimano groupsets). I do find this on Specialized bikes, not sure of other brands.

Hope this helps! GL with your purchase
    Last edited by jampack; 08-20-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    rally pig

check these bikes out
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/val...-orange-black/
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/sea...rk-green-lime/
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/touring-1-jet-black/

not sure what BB/crankset this would be using but doesnt look bad either
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/jake/

personally i wouldnt mind running Tiagra

My Ride
    V8s

I'm also new to road bikes (this year), not sure if you saw my other thread.

Here's a couple you might want to consider:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-2...0-Road-Bicycle

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-2...c-Road-Bicycle

I wound up buying a couple year old C50 off blitz on here, really happy with it so far.

This isn't going to help but here is another bike I really enjoyed riding.
    https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/rove-st/

I didn't end up buying it but it is probably going to be one of the most comfortable options out there with a steel frame. It is more of a gravel/adventure bike than a proper road or cyclocross but a total blast to ride.

If you're between those 2, I'd go with the Synapse 105 as it's more of a road bike and I'd want minimum 105 components.
    If you're in that price range, I'd have a look at Giants. They're well priced and you often get more bike for the same price as Cannondale or Specialized.

For a similar price to the Diverge Comp, you can get a Defy Advanced 2 here http://www.ridleys.com/product/giant...2-264155-1.htm with a full carbon frame and 105 components while still keeping that endurance frame like the Synapse. Your bike choice will probably depend on whether you want to do more road biking or some gravel riding too.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're between those 2, I'd go with the Synapse 105 as it's more of a road bike and I'd want minimum 105 components.
    If you're in that price range, I'd have a look at Giants. They're well priced and you often get more bike for the same price as Cannondale or Specialized.
    +1 I was about to type the same thing. 105 minimum components, and also check out giant. Giant is likely the best value right now.

Cannondale - I always found the top tube felt long to me. Narrow it down, and buy based on feel.

Also - if you're comfortable buying slightly used, you may get a lot more bike for your money.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Thanks for all the suggestions! It seems I might have a bit more shopping around to do!

I think Bow Cycle is having a sale this weekend. I might have to narrow it down with what they have available, and what their competitors have in stock.

I'd rather buy new from a LBS for the warranty, and the repair support as I don't know too much about bicycle repairs/upgrade/etc... I'm really trying to stay away from big box stores like Sporting Life, but their sale is kinda hard to beat.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

For a similar price to the Diverge Comp, you can get a Defy Advanced 2 here http://www.ridleys.com/product/giant...2-264155-1.htm with a full carbon frame and 105 components while still keeping that endurance frame like the Synapse. Your bike choice will probably depend on whether you want to do more road biking or some gravel riding too.
    That Defy looks promising! I was reading that the Contend is their alloy frame/composite fork version? Other than that, its all the same frame?

I also read that Giant makes the Synapse frame for Cannondale... From your comment, am I right to assume that the Synapse and the Defy/Contend have similar frame angles for comfort riding?

I've sat on the Synapse and I found it fairly comfortable. The Specialized seemed OK, but your right, I could get a better bike for the money. I think I'll take a look at the Giants and some of those Konas/Norcos this week.

I don't plan on too much gravel riding on this new bike as I do have a MTB that might be better suited for that... but I'd prefer to have something capable If I need to ride on some short unpaved sections.

My Ride
    V8s

I wouldn't suggest buying new for the warranty/service. Bikes are painfully simple and easy to work on. If you can do an oil change and switch the wheels on your car, you can pretty much do anything to a bike (aside from stuff that requires a special tool like press fit bottom brackets or w/e).

Just doing some quick reading, the Contend is the aluminum line of Defy. So looks like they got rid of aluminum Defys.
    Looking at the geometry charts, the Synapse looks to be different than the Defy. You'd have to ride both to see which you feel more comfortable on, although if you've never really ridden a road bike you probably wouldn't know the difference as long as its properly sized. In which case I would just get the cheaper or better looking one.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Personally I wouldn't go below 105 groupsets.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
    I don't plan on too much gravel riding on this new bike as I do have a MTB that might be better suited for that... but I'd prefer to have something capable If I need to ride on some short unpaved sections.
    So in that sense, you wouldn't seek to take the bike out on a gravel road, but want the capability to handle it if you're running through an unfamiliar neighbourhood or alley and encounter some unexpected gravel?
    For short stretches of hard packed gravel, my non-gravel grinder roadbike handles it just fine...even when there are looser sections or the odd small (3-4") cobbles thrown about...it's survivable on 25/26mm tires.
    IMO, where it can get dicey on a road bike is when you have soft / uncompacted washed stone, like what you'd find in a backyard garden...but whether you're on 25mm or 32mm tires, both won't perform very well there.

I agree that Giant's seem to have the best bang for the buck these days, as do Norcos (no USD exchange rate hits at the shops). I'd get the bike that you feel most comfortable on, and not worry too much about what the best gravel grinder is unless you plan on taking the bike out on beat-ass dirt paths on the regular (but like you said, you have an MTB for that - I feel the same way). 105 is a great workhorse groupset that you'll never have to replace unless you start racing and really care about weight, but Tiagra 4700 feels reeeeeally similar to 105 5800.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

if you're comfortable buying used and this happens to be your size, i would consider this a good deal:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ca...0km/1290087098

also this one, smaller size and more $$: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ca...ike/1284174607
    Last edited by kJUMP; 08-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah now that RTCC is over it's time to find hot deals on bikes!!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Damn Matt, I like the way you think: like an Asian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

After scoring these 20% off Banana Republic Gift Cards, combined with a 50% off sale and ebates cashback, I should start thinking about putting more 8's on my license plate.
    Ultracrepidarian

What size are you? If you're willing to look at used I've got a couple bikes I'm looking to get rid of for much lower than your budget.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Do people really buy new bikes just for one event and sell after? Seems ridiculously wasteful.

What size are you? If you're willing to look at used I've got a couple bikes I'm looking to get rid of for much lower than your budget.
    Interested, post them up!
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast