Quantcast
Dress Shirts / Business Wear - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dress Shirts / Business Wear

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Dress Shirts / Business Wear

Hey Beyond,

So for years i've been ok getting by with 4 or 5 dress shirts, now I require them for work so am trying to catch up to where most people probably are....

Where do you guys go for business/work wear and dress shirts?

I don't have the money for O'Connors or Harry Rosen, albeit they have nice stuff!

Any recommendations for nice fitting / slim fit dress shirts for everyday wear?
    My good friend recommended "Hockerty" online store (seems a bit pricey though), but open to recommendations of where to buy and where to stay away from for good priced online or local shops for dress clothes.

Thanks!
    Last edited by swak; 08-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Have you checked The Bay lately? They have top notch stuff...good locations that is. Very rarely do dress shirts fit me perfect off the shelf (sleeves are always short) but Boss ones do and then rest are custom. I have purchased suits from The Bay at pretty reasonable costs as well, especially during sales.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Whatever you do, try them on. I'm not a slim guy, but at some stores I need to get slim fit, some I need a "tall" and some I can just get regular.

I've had good luck at the bay, occasionally at marks, and a bunch of mine are from maxwell tailor.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Huey Lam. Full custom (made from a body scan taking 700 measurements). I think they are $69 a piece, which means they are more than cheap enough that you don't have to measure yourself and gamble online, or buy off-the-rack parachutes and have them darted/altered. I am 5'10" 165lbs (pretty normal - I think haha) and it is literally impossible for me to buy an off the rack shirt that fits properly and has a top button that can be done up. Especially if you like the "fitted" look, I'd just go get custom shirts, they are the same price or cheaper than a lot of off-the-rack stuff, even before alterations. Quality is excellent and you can see/touch the material before you buy.

http://www.hueylamsuits.ca/

Indochino has a store in Chinook now too but I don't know what the prices are like.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-21-2017 at 09:52 AM.

My Ride
    FB6

Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers are my go to. Brooks Brothers have gotten more expensive compared to before though when the exchange rate was better.

On average if you wait for sales, ~$50-60 a shirt at Banana, and $80 at shirt a Brooks.

For plain dress shirts for work I just buy when the style that fits me are on sale at The Bay. Just go in and try on a bunch till you find what fits you and then buy them when on sale.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Huey Lam. Full custom (made from a body scan taking 700 measurements). I think they are $69 a piece, which means they are more than cheap enough that you don't have to measure yourself and gamble online, or buy off-the-rack parachutes and have them darted/altered. I am 5'10" 165lbs (pretty normal - I think haha) and it is literally impossible for me to buy an off the rack shirt that fits properly and has a top button that can be done up. Especially if you like the "fitted" look, I'd just go get custom shirts, they are the same price or cheaper than a lot of off-the-rack stuff, even before alterations. Quality is excellent and you can see/touch the material before you buy.

http://www.hueylamsuits.ca/
    Exactly my problem. The shirts that fit me in slim fit, are a 14" neck, but i'm a 15.5/16 depending on shirt and all those shirts are parachutes on me. Can't win. These guys seem pretty sweet though! Will check them out, thanks!

.. and been to the Bay lately a lot too, again same fitting problem, but great sales!!

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I get mine from the UK. Marks and Spencer..

http://www.marksandspencer.com/ca/homepage

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    Exactly my problem. The shirts that fit me in slim fit, are a 14" neck, but i'm a 15.5/16 depending on shirt and all those shirts are parachutes on me. Can't win. These guys seem pretty sweet though! Will check them out, thanks!

.. and been to the Bay lately a lot too, again same fitting problem, but great sales!!
    Yup - that is the issue. You need to buy a 14-15" neck to get a shirt that even remotely fits, and then you can't do up the button. My neck is 16.5" and those "slim fit" and "modern fit" or "euro fit" shirts are all parachutes, and even look bad after darting because the shoulder seams are halfway down your bicep. Custom is the way to go, and it won't cost you any extra. It's a no-brainier in my opinion. It would be different if there was some sort of massive cost disparity between custom and the rack, but there is usually none at all.

Huey is on 14th st and 15 ave SW, just north of the McDonalds on 17th ave. He runs a dry-cleaner out of there too so don't expect anything too special as far as the storefront goes, but he's great. Call ahead you need an appointment for a body scan (doesn't take long though). He takes a body scan and then confirms with a tape measure, then ads/subtracts based on your personal preference for fit. Alterations after the fact are free as well if needed.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Sounds perfect! There doesn't need to be a crystal chandelier in the store for me to be happy happy haha.
    So long as he does good work and has good product, i'll be a happy camper! I've sent him an e-mail, looking forward!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Nothing feels better than a well-tailored shirt. Good luck!

OTR sucks unless you don't plan to button the neck. I fit in Medium but my neck is considered a Large FUUU.

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    Sounds perfect! There doesn't need to be a crystal chandelier in the store for me to be happy happy haha.
    So long as he does good work and has good product, i'll be a happy camper! I've sent him an e-mail, looking forward!
    One thing - I did have to call as they never returned my email. Maybe I did something wrong on the email application though. Might be fastest to call.

40%-50% off at Banana Republic today for Friends/Family event. Sign up online to get the 50% instead of the 40%.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Nothing feels better than a well-tailored shirt. Good luck!

OTR sucks unless you don't plan to button the neck. I fit in Medium but my neck is considered a Large FUUU.
    Haha I never button my neck. Even in court. Just can't handle the constriction, guess something to do with improper sizing. That Huey Lam sounds like a good option especially if they only like $70 a pop as that's cheaper than my Boss shirts.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get the custom tailored ones and have them make it a half inch loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Have you checked The Bay lately? They have top notch stuff...good locations that is. Very rarely do dress shirts fit me perfect off the shelf (sleeves are always short) but Boss ones do and then rest are custom. I have purchased suits from The Bay at pretty reasonable costs as well, especially during sales.
    +1 on the Boss shirts, I only have a couple but they are the only shirts I own that I look decent in. But I am so cheap when it comes to clothes I get a crazy case of sticker shock... I save them for days I know I am in meetings with clients and go with the sloppy shirts that don't fit when I am just grinding on the computer...

Not buttoning up not an option for me so I am very careful on my neck sizes.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:05 AM.

My Ride
    This and that.

@killramos

I have been able to get a few my Boss ones at dirty shirt sale at Henry Singer and the sale that Harry Rosen does for $70 or so a piece. Not bad all things considering.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

70 for those shirts is a great deal. Not so much at close to 200.

I was hoping to get some deals down in SF a couple weeks ago but instead Nordstrom down there had the same shirts for the same sticker prices as Canada but in USD. No thanks...

I will take a look at HR, might have to hold my nose while I am in there but worth it to get the shirts I like.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea those sale prices are rare and not super common (I think it was around Christmas). I saw them and picked up like 3-4 shirts. I think typically the dirty shirt sale at Henry Singer for Boss starts at $120 which isn't great but better than regular for sure.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast