Quantcast
Dress Shirts / Business Wear - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dress Shirts / Business Wear

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have always been happy with Maxwell's. I didn't like my indochino experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G37X

The Bay/Winners if it's not on sale for $29-$39 I don't buy it. My dress shirts get too beat up to spend more.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Marks actually has some decent patterned shirts too. I've had compliments on mine from there.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

O’Connor’s does a great job.

Proper Cloth has really impressed me. Usually shirts are ~200CAD each but they last a long time. I bought a couple from Indochino last summer and I've gotten rid of all three because they are showing wear. The fit on Proper Cloth is leagues better than my Indochino shirts. I had to go through four remakes because I'm picky as fuck though. They had no problem doing it each time though free of charge - minus shipping. Customer service was top notch and the fit advice and adjustment recommendations I received were excellent. These Merino shirts are money. They come out of the dryer on low after 10 mins completely wrinkle free but don't have the typical non-iron finish and feel. https://propercloth.com/merino-shirts

PM Me if you want a $20 off referral code.
    Last edited by jake1er; 11-14-2018 at 07:22 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by jake1er View Post
    Proper Cloth has really impressed me. Usually shirts are ~200CAD each but they last a long time. I bought a couple from Indochino last summer and I've gotten rid of all three because they are showing wear. The fit on Proper Cloth is leagues better than my Indochino shirts. I had to go through four remakes because I'm picky as fuck though. They had no problem doing it each time though free of charge - minus shipping. Customer service was top notch and the fit advice and adjustment recommendations I received were excellent. These Merino shirts are money. They come out of the dryer on low after 10 mins completely wrinkle free but don't have the typical non-iron finish and feel. https://propercloth.com/merino-shirts

PM Me if you want a $20 off referral code.
    Did you do this while in NY, or all over internet/mail? I'm thinking about getting them to make a shirt based on me measuring one of mine, I actually really like that idea. I hate how with most MTM places you have to take your own measurements and just trust someone to make a garment that fits based off of that... much more comfortable having them essentially clone a shirt I already have that fits perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Did you do this while in NY, or all over internet/mail? I'm thinking about getting them to make a shirt based on me measuring one of mine, I actually really like that idea. I hate how with most MTM places you have to take your own measurements and just trust someone to make a garment that fits based off of that... much more comfortable having them essentially clone a shirt I already have that fits perfect.
    My wife measured me at home in Calgary. I’m pretty sure you can just ship them a shirt you like the fit of as well and they duplicate it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

See this is what I like about maxwell. A real tailor measures you in person. And if you want it a hair bigger in one area (or smaller) you can talk to the guy in person and explain.

Never had a bad fitting from maxwell.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Can't you get fitted/measured at the indochino store in Chinook?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I wouldn’t expect four remakes to be the norm. I always have issues with needing multiple adjustments with MTM. Even when measured locally. I just have a weird body and high expectations. For my wedding my buddies all had bang on fits first time and I needed several adjustments.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Can't you get fitted/measured at the indochino store in Chinook?
    You can. I'm considering rolling the dice with a couple shirts from them. They have a sale right now (not that I'd buy their stuff at regular price since there's always sales).

You can. I'm considering rolling the dice with a couple shirts from them. They have a sale right now (not that I'd buy their stuff at regular price since there's always sales).
    If you give me a couple days I can comment on the incochino fit. I tried them the first time (went 2 weekends ago). Got 3 pants and 3 shirts fitted for probably the price of 1/1 of Boss which is usually my closet. Thought I would see if for the savings it was worth it. Otherwise yahhh, usually Rosen Boss shirts tailored is what I always did in the past. I find they last a longgg time and fabric is great.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I've bought Indochino shirts when they first came out. The fabric is similar to placemat feel and the fabric today at Chinook mall is the same as before.

I think it's worth more buying one or two quality shirts (Eton is decent) and getting complimentary alterations from Nordstrom or Harry Rosen. I have a bunch of Eton shirts and they're worth the price.

If you take into account alteration costs on a shirt, the unit price is reasonable as doing alterations yourself is challenging.

If you really want to save cash, outsource the fabric yourself; find a tailor here; done. You're basically doing the legwork that you're paying Indochino for.

@LilDrunkenSmurf : Yes, you can get measured at the Chinook location.

Made to Measure shirts can start from $40-60/shirt
    Alterations can be $25-35 depending if you want it darted or actually cut; sleeve shortening is about $20

It's rare to get something fitting off-the-rack and if you can, good job! You beat the system.

If you a buy a shirt new, ask for alteration credits. Club Monaco does it if you ask the right salesperson; Not sure about Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers.
    Last edited by flipstah; 11-15-2018 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Thankfully I'm only required to wear a tucked in dress shirt plus tie every once in a while for my job.

I have wide shoulders and chest, small waist and short arms lol... The best fitting dress shirt off the rack without alterations I've recently discovered is the Le Chateau athletic fit dress shirt, the sleeves are almost perfect too, also the Calvin Klein outlet has "short" fit for their suit jackets. Bought one there and the sleeves are only slightly too long (just a tiny bit past my wrist), but still able to be altered as if it's too long it can't.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

My Indochino shirts didn't fit great, and the materials were so so. Now that there's an actual store I might try them again, but I sent my suit, shirts and pants back. It was way more than a little tailoring to make it fit. Best MTM shirts I've had made were from Harry Rosen, but it wasn't cheap.

Also, Banana is a solid choice. Wait for 50% off sales and for 40-50 bucks, that's hard to beat value wise. Even if you need to tailor them a bit, 20 bucks or so, it's going to be cheaper than a lot of MTM options.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I really like proper cloth’s site and all the little custom details... haven’t purchased anything yet though as I rarely need anything fancy these days...

Scotch and soda’s L fits me like a glove though! Just need to wear an undershirt as those shirts are hell on the nipples

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    I think it's worth more buying one or two quality shirts (Eton is decent) and getting complimentary alterations from Nordstrom or Harry Rosen. I have a bunch of Eton shirts and they're worth the price.
    Eton is well beyond "decent". Nothing really compares. The quality is outstanding and the fabric really holds it shape well and doesnt wrinkle much even after a full day of wearing it in the office. They're expensive so it is tough to have a closet full of them, but they are well worth the price if you want to keep a few in your closet for special occasions. The problem I have with cheaper shirts that are made to measure is that even though the fit is great, the fabric quality usually isn't up to par and the shirt looks doesn't look or feel good when you wear it. Normally, I would be fine with the shirt just looking "ok" as long as the fit is good, but a lot of these made to measure shirts really arent even that "cheap".

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
    Eton is well beyond "decent". Nothing really compares. The quality is outstanding and the fabric really holds it shape well and doesnt wrinkle much even after a full day of wearing it in the office. They're expensive so it is tough to have a closet full of them, but they are well worth the price if you want to keep a few in your closet for special occasions. The problem I have with cheaper shirts that are made to measure is that even though the fit is great, the fabric quality usually isn't up to par and the shirt looks doesn't look or feel good when you wear it. Normally, I would be fine with the shirt just looking "ok" as long as the fit is good, but a lot of these made to measure shirts really arent even that "cheap".
    I love Eton, but another "cheaper" alternative is Charles Tyrwhitt for off the rack - I think they're still great quality and there's plenty of sales so you can get them for a fairly good price. Cheaper in London and the US probably, but still decently priced.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by gqmw View Post
    I love Eton, but another "cheaper" alternative is Charles Tyrwhitt for off the rack - I think they're still great quality and there's plenty of sales so you can get them for a fairly good price. Cheaper in London and the US probably, but still decently priced.
    Interesting. They have some decent deals on now (or so it seems, not sure how often their stuff is discounted). Do you have any experience with fit?

Thinking about ordering a few shirts from them, then just returning (or altering them) depending on fit.

Interesting. They have some decent deals on now (or so it seems, not sure how often their stuff is discounted). Do you have any experience with fit?

Thinking about ordering a few shirts from them, then just returning (or altering them) depending on fit.
    If you you're in decent shape and your arms have some muscle, you're likely slim fit. If you're in good shape and your arms are slim then you might be able to fit extra/super slim fit. I would imagine majority of people would fit the slim fit quite well, super slim fit was quite tight on the arms for me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast