Quantcast
My car was written off. 14 day rule. - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: My car was written off. 14 day rule.

My Ride
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is incorrect, and written in the thread. My Jeep does not have collision. So technically, they could have put this incident under that coverage but I lucked out.
    Sorry missed the part about the Jeep. That's really fortunate they are considering it as full coverage then. Hope it works out better than 18k!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I suppose the question is, if they don't agree with your value, will they just pull the offer altogether since they aren't legally obliged?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I suppose the question is, if they don't agree with your value, will they just pull the offer altogether since they aren't legally obliged?
    Ok wait. They ARE legally obligated, which has been quote thoroughly gone over here. In addition to that, they have already agreed to proceed, as well as sent me retroactive insurance slips. It's already a done deal that I'm covered.

What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage. (Although they agreed verbally) But at the end of the day, besides having to deal with his insurance company instead of mine, it is of little consequence since I was not at fault.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage.
    That's my point. Right now they ARE handling it as if you have collision. THEY are the ones offering you $18g, correct? If they weren't handling it as if you had collision, you would be dealing directly with the other insurance company.

So at any point, your insurance company may say "nah, this is on you, we don't have to do this for you", at which point you now have to take over negotiations with the other insurance company.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    That's my point. Right now they ARE handling it as if you have collision. THEY are the ones offering you $18g, correct? If they weren't handling it as if you had collision, you would be dealing directly with the other insurance company.

So at any point, your insurance company may say "nah, this is on you, we don't have to do this for you", at which point you now have to take over negotiations with the other insurance company.
    I suppose it is possible. That's a sure-fire way to lose a customer though. "Ok, so we decided to cover you under the collision policy from your Infiniti. Oh... wait... what? You want market value for your car? Well in that case, you can deal with the other insurance company". I guess it could happen and I suppose they have a right to do it, but I am not too concerned; having 4 vehicles in my household and a near perfect driving record, I'd say I'm a pretty lucrative client.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    The Jag is an NAA because he has all his auto insurance with one provider, so an additional vehicle counts - it doesn't have to be a direct substitution.
    Correct, partially. Yes it's still a NAA but because it's not a direct substitution for one of his full coverage vehicles rather just an addition to the fleet, his insurance company didn't have to extend the full coverage because not all of his vehicles carried that. It's a technicality and I'm pretty sure someone at the insurance company realized that in the end the other guy's insurance is going to pay the bill anyway so why piss the customer off?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Correct, partially. Yes it's still a NAA but because it's not a direct substitution for one of his full coverage vehicles rather just an addition to the fleet, his insurance company didn't have to extend the full coverage because not all of his vehicles carried that. It's a technicality and I'm pretty sure someone at the insurance company realized that in the end the other guy's insurance is going to pay the bill anyway so why piss the customer off?
    I believe it was actually the broker's doing initially. Once I submitted the initial claim with Aviva, I only dealt with the broker (Innova) for the next few days and he worked with both Aviva and I to make sure all the documentation that was required in this unique situation. The broker handled it as piggybacking onto the Infiniti insurance. The last time I spoke to him he did indeed say that Aviva considered changing it to be under the Jeep's coverage - which of course would have meant no extra benefits of having collision. I imagine you're right though - Aviva probably just decided since it was no-fault they might as well just let it happen. The broker made it out to be his doing that it continued as a collision-covered claim, but I would be surprised if he actually had any clout in that decision.

What they are NOT legally obligated to do is handle it as if I had collision coverage. (Although they agreed verbally) But at the end of the day, besides having to deal with his insurance company instead of mine, it is of little consequence since I was not at fault.
    This is what's really confusing me about this thread. You're not at fault, so isn't the other person's insurance on the hook for either repairing your car or paying you out? I thought it didn't matter if you have collision or not if it's someone else's fault. Am I wrong? People in this thread are making it seem like you should be SOL because you don't have collision on one of your vehicles. Even if your insurance said they won't extend collision to your new car, you would still get the pay out from the other person's insurance company, right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan4lyfe View Post
    This is what's really confusing me about this thread. You're not at fault, so isn't the other person's insurance on the hook for either repairing your car or paying you out? I thought it didn't matter if you have collision or not if it's someone else's fault. Am I wrong? People in this thread are making it seem like you should be SOL because you don't have collision on one of your vehicles. Even if your insurance said they won't extend collision to your new car, you would still get the pay out from the other person's insurance company, right?
    How it typically works is if you have collision then your own insurance company facilitates the repairs and ensures that your vehicle is good to go/replaced ASAP. Then they go over to the insurance company for the person who's at fault themselves to recover whatever they paid to you. If you don't have collision with your own insurance company, then you're SOL as far as getting any help from your own insurance company is concerned. Then you are on your own to negotiate with the other person's insurance company and reach a settlement.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Lucky you...

I got a $2,500 ticket because I swapped my plate from my car A to car B ...period! (Car A had insurance hat I was selling, but not sold yet that that moment...)
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I can understand the 14 day rule for registration as it has no impact really on anything.

insurance i don't see due to the fact it is privately controlled. ultimately it would be up to your insurance company, as different vehicles would fall under different categories for coverage... etc. also like was brought up before, if i went from a $5k civic to a $50k jag, my coverage would now be insufficient and not really the problem of my insurance company as they were unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    insurance i don't see due to the fact it is privately controlled. ultimately it would be up to your insurance company, as different vehicles would fall under different categories for coverage... etc. also like was brought up before, if i went from a $5k civic to a $50k jag, my coverage would now be insufficient and not really the problem of my insurance company as they were unaware.
    This is wrong. A 5g civic might actually cost more to insure, because hte cost of the car is only a small factor.

What matters more is statistics. Do they pay out more $$$$ by your average $5000 civic or by your average $100000 porsche 911? The answer is the civic costs insurance more. $5000 civics are generally driven by idiots thinking 127hp is fast who just got their license, and 911s are generally babied and parked in a garage 350 days a year.

My Ride
    V8s

I had a lengthy discussion with MaskedBandit about this when I got my last car and I was surprised it was the same (or less) than my previous to insure, but worth significantly more and a lot faster.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Honda fit is expensive to insure either because it's a Savage supercar or because it's often driven by teenage aisan girls. Potato potato
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    This is wrong. A 5g civic might actually cost more to insure, because hte cost of the car is only a small factor.

What matters more is statistics. Do they pay out more $$$$ by your average $5000 civic or by your average $100000 porsche 911? The answer is the civic costs insurance more. $5000 civics are generally driven by idiots thinking 127hp is fast who just got their license, and 911s are generally babied and parked in a garage 350 days a year.
    Sorry let me put this another way. If I am insurance company X, and I am expecting to cover the loss of a $5000 civic, and suddenly now I am told I am covering the loss of a $70k Jaguar that I was unaware of, I am going to be a little upset about it, am I not?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Sorry let me put this another way. If I am insurance company X, and I am expecting to cover the loss of a $5000 civic, and suddenly now I am told I am covering the loss of a $70k Jaguar that I was unaware of, I am going to be a little upset about it, am I not?
    You might be upset but assuming the right conditions are met you're still obligated to provide the coverage. Insurance companies can't take anything away from the SPF#1, only add to it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

In the case of an at-fault situation, I imagine it would have been far more dire for me. Perhaps for the reason you just mentioned, but certainly due to the fact that if they DID follow through without collision and I was responsible for an accident, I might not have received any coverage at all. That would have sucked royally. Never again.

In the case of a not at fault, I don't think there is much that can be done. My insurance company isn't responsible for payment, and THEIR insurance company probably only wants to see that I had coverage.

My Ride

that makes sense.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Shitty deal Kloubek. Bad luck. But glad your okay.

I pick up my new car tomorrow, since the bank placed a lien on it till I pay it off in full, I have to have full coverage insurance on it the day I pick it up, and I believe I'm not allowed to take full coverage off of it even if I want to park it during the winter.

But good read, I'll make sure to have my insurance/reg in order before I pick up.

Good luck with your insurance, hopefully its a solution thats satisfactory
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Shitty deal Kloubek. Bad luck. But glad your okay.

I pick up my new car tomorrow, since the bank placed a lien on it till I pay it off in full, I have to have full coverage insurance on it the day I pick it up, and I believe I'm not allowed to take full coverage off of it even if I want to park it during the winter.

But good read, I'll make sure to have my insurance/reg in order before I pick up.

Good luck with your insurance, hopefully its a solution thats satisfactory
    Correct, you'll require full coverage on it the whole time the bank owns some of it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast