Quantcast
My car was written off. 14 day rule. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My car was written off. 14 day rule.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A new rear bumper was quoted at 18k? What a pile!!
    Its not really a bumper as you might think. If the car is made of Al for eg. and the crush members of the frame were deformed - it turns really expensive to restore.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Wasn't there someone here who posted up some fake adds with inflated prices to show the insurance company that the value should be more than what they were offering?
    That just may be the incentive I need to list my Jag for sale!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    hahaha that's great. But the person who was actually doing it was trying to buy a car. They made fake ads with a lower price to try to grind down private sellers on 350z's and s2000's.
    YES - I remember that. Some chick right? She was posting all these ads at lower prices to try to use as a negotiating tool to get people to come down on their prices. I believe the word "greasy" was thrown around more than once. Yeah, I could do this too but I'm really trying to keep everything on the up and up. That'd be treading into the grey area of fraud, would it not?

So, as I mentioned, I paid 18g for this car originally. They offered me 18g - but they claimed it was on these comparables rather than what I paid. The problem is, I bought it at 18g because it was a ridiculously low price. The guy originally had it posted for 23, and I just would not have paid that. I just spent two hours researching, and there are only 3 2009 Supercharged XF comparables in Western Canada, and the cheapest is 24g - and that one has way more mileage than mine did. Autotrader states the average price for a 2009 Supercharged is 25.5k. (Seems a bit high to me). In fact, if you look at ALL low mileage 2009-2011 NON-supercharged XF's, only about half of those are priced at what they offered me, and the other half are HIGHER. And that's for a significantly lesser model. No thanks.

Bottom line: I just won't find this car again for 18k and need at least 22-23 to replace it, and that is with waiting for who knows how long for someone to be selling under value again. But truthfully - if I do manage to get fair value, I think now I'd sooner just pay the extra 3-5 grand and get the XFR. 510 horsepower. *Drool*

So I basically asked for:
    a) 25k, with tons of proof that I would need around that to replace by showing ALL XF's currently available, and proving to them they are basically out to lunch.
    b) Them to find me a true comparable anywhere close to the 18k they are offering me, and offered for them to even oversee the transaction and pay out exactly what it costs me to buy it and not a penny more.

It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k, but I really just want an exact replacement so how could I possibly get that if they won't give me enough to do so? It's quite frustrating - but as others have said, I'm still in a pretty decent place all things considered with the insurance debacle.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k, but I really just want an exact replacement so how could I possibly get that if they won't give me enough to do so?
    You never know...they could or you'll meet somewhere in the middle. Sounds like you have decent evidence to get a fair replacement price but just like the one you bought, list price doesn't mean sale price and I'm sure they may be factoring that in to some degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

But because you never told them about the XFR, your premiums are based off of what the Infiniti is worth... so technically that's all they owe you, no?

example: if I'm paying collision on a 10 year old Honda, go out and get a brand new AMG and crashed it on this 14 day rule, then what?

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

As I understand it you can swap a plate over for up to 14 days, as long as you have insurance on the vehicle which you can get in ten seconds by calling and they e-mail you a temp card. I have never heard of magical 14 day insurance.

I have heard of a rider that in only available in the states that lets you ride anyone else motorcycle, but it's expensive to add onto your policy.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    You never know...they could or you'll meet somewhere in the middle. Sounds like you have decent evidence to get a fair replacement price but just like the one you bought, list price doesn't mean sale price and I'm sure they may be factoring that in to some degree.
    Oh, they do. They take 5% off expecting you to negotiate. I do believe I have decent evidence that I should get more, but obviously they *want* to pay out as little as possible... so I imagine you're right - they will likely meet me somewhere in the middle. So like I said, if they gave me 22 I would probably just take it and be happy I made 4 grand overall.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    I have never heard of magical 14 day insurance.
    ...and this is one of the reasons I started the thread. Many have not heard. Now you have. There's nothing magical about it - it just happens to be the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    But because you never told them about the XFR, your premiums are based off of what the Infiniti is worth... so technically that's all they owe you, no?
    Well, that comes back to the same people who were asking if they insured a civic, then used this rule to cover them in a lambo which gets written off. And I honestly don't know the answer to that, except to say that they are covering me based on the value of the Jaguar. (And when I say "cover", I mean basing everything on the Jaguar alone and not factoring in the Infiniti.) With that said, if the rule was that you were only covered up to the level of the originally insured vehicle, that would make sense and I would be an advocate for that being the rule. After I get paid out.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-23-2017 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I would be an advocate for that being the rule. After I get paid out.
    You're an advocate for stuff that should apply to everyone but you. Is your name Fildebrandt?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

It's pretty crazy how many Beyonders don't know about this 14 day rule.

I actually used this rule one day back in 2010. I found a beater car out by Penhold. Bought it on a Saturday evening. Took a plate from my other car (only PLPD) and put it on the new car. Had my reg/insurance with me. Cruised around in the beater car with a couple friends like the idiots we were at the time. Got pulled over less than 2 hours of owning the beater. Told the cop right when he got to the window that this car is a 'new' car and the plate won't match. Told him I just bought it. Gave him my reg/insurace for my other car that matched the plate. Told him I have a 14 day grace period to get insurance and registration on this new car. Gave him the completed bill of sale.

He went back to his cruiser, came back like 20 mins later... said 'you're free to go.'

Damn those were the days! I miss my friends...

For the record, we got pulled over because my friend was leaning out the passenger side yelling at women (exactly like a scrub) and a RCMP officer witnessed it as he was walking back to his cruiser from McDonalds.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    You're an advocate for stuff that should apply to everyone but you. Is your name Fildebrandt?
    Really?

You wanna let that one percolate around a bit more before I respond to that?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I think now I'd sooner just pay the extra 3-5 grand and get the XFR. 510 horsepower. *Drool*
    My opinion counts for nothing, but this is exactly what you should do.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Ok wait. You can see the first car is decimated and yet you call the Jaguar a "pile"? Seems a little contradictory. But if you actually read the post, you will have noted there was a buckled rear quarter among other damages. Damage adds up quick when multiple areas are affected. Especially on a European or German vehicle.
    Ok, ok. But you have to change your signature now

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well, I got all my personal effects out of the car yesterday, and sat in it for the last time as we said our goodbyes.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Ok, ok. But you have to change your signature now
    You know what's fucked up about that? I changed it the morning of my accident. I think I jinxxed my own car. I should have just left it with the pic of my Infiniti since that's actually what I'm driving again.

I'll wait till this all plays out and with any luck I'll replace it with a XF-R in the coming couple of weeks.

My Ride
    German

Good read, but getting confused somewhere along the way. The Jag technically is not considered a NAA as you still have the Infiniti. Should the 14 day rule not apply then and your insurance provider is just honoring your claim out of good will?

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

It seems like a stretch that they'd go from 18k to 25k.
    Its definitely possible, i bought a truck for 24k from someone i knew from highschool, got written off a month later. Insurance originally came back with low 18k. Took me over 2 months of constant calls and negotiating, but finally walked away even.

It will take some time and it will be a battle, just depends on how bad you want it. You basically have to wait them out as i think they try to clear off all stagnant cases at the end of every month and get it off their books. If you're not strapped for cash or a replacement car, wait them out until you are happy.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by infected View Post
    Good read, but getting confused somewhere along the way. The Jag technically is not considered a NAA as you still have the Infiniti.
    Did you even read the definition linked or the interpretation of the conditions that Masked Bandit wrote?
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    V8s

Good luck finding an XFR, I strongly considered those before I got my car. Really like them.

My Ride
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Did you even read the definition linked or the interpretation of the conditions that Masked Bandit wrote?
    Yes, but wanted to clarify why the Jag is not a NAA because:
    a) Kloubek has more than one vehicle;
    b) They are on the same policy; and
    c) All vehicles have full coverage?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Good luck finding an XFR, I strongly considered those before I got my car. Really like them.
    They are around. There is a white one in Winnipeg with 54k (?) for 26,500. There is one local with slightly more k for 29 - but I don't like the grey colour. Then another with low k, but he wants 31.5 but I'm not really ballin' so that's getting too pricey for me. Being that winter isn't that far away, I could and probably should just wait for the right deal to come up like I did when I purchased my supercharged one. There is also a sweet facelifted 2012 in Ontario for 30k, but it has 100k and is way out there.

That is incorrect, and written in the thread. My Jeep does not have collision. So technically, they could have put this incident under that coverage but I lucked out.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-25-2017 at 08:35 AM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Yes, but wanted to clarify why the Jag is not a NAA because:
    a) Kloubek has more than one vehicle;
    b) They are on the same policy; and
    Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    2) Assuming the client has all of their auto insurance with the same company, a NAA can also be insured for 14 days but if there was no direct substitution (you just went out and bought another car on a weekend) then only the lowest amount of coverage on the policy extends to the NAA.
    In regards to my situation, 1, 3 and 4 do not apply, but 2 certainly does.
    The Jag is an NAA because he has all his auto insurance with one provider, so an additional vehicle counts - it doesn't have to be a direct substitution.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast