Quantcast
My car was written off. 14 day rule. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My car was written off. 14 day rule.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default My car was written off. 14 day rule.

Ok, so some of you may remember a thread some time ago about the 14 day rule. I cannot seem to find it, and figured I would share my experience in my own recent scenario, as well as just generally document my accident for the heck of it. After I posted elsewhere briefly about the 14 day rule, members have contacted me asking me to post details on the 14 day rule, so although I realize there is another thread hidden somewhere, might as well bring it to light again here.

The backstory:

So, I purchased a new-to-me Jaguar XF Supercharged August 3rd. I honestly didn't exactly have my eye on this model in the past, but this one came up in my Kijiji searches. I always liked the XF design (especially from a rear or side profile; the headlights were a little odd imo), and this one was metallic black which really made it pop. Add in low k and I decided to go view it. A couple of WOT and cornering tests, and I was already in love. This one was claimed to have over 500hp due to the work done on it, but I suspect it had closer to about 450; still a lot of power to keep a smile on my face. Certainly everything I was looking for in a sporty luxury commuter.

The crash:

Unfortunately, less than two weeks later I was rear-ended while stopping for a yellow light coming into Chestermere on 17th:

Name:  accident1.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  accident2.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  101.7 KB

Clearly, the Honda fared worse and I was able to drive home - exhaust occasionally kissing the ground here and there. I parked it for a day, then drove to the repair shop the following day - where I was informed I probably shouldn't be driving it. And sure enough that appears to have been the case since I was informed a couple of days later that the car had been written off with 17g damage. (What you don't see in the picture is the damaged under the bumper and the crumpled left rear quarter - or the fact the rear door barely opened.

At this point I don't yet have a full report on exactly what damage occurred, but it isn't super relevant considering they've already decided to write it off. I suspect frame damage.

As soon as I got out of the vehicle after being hit the guy who hit me tried blaming me for the accident. (Though I was firm on the brakes, it was a pretty standard stop and not exactly a quick stop. I actually believe he was distracted - though he simply said he slipped on the wet road surface. This seems somewhat unlikely, considering you can see from the picture he was clearly nose-down on impact) In not so many words I advised him that claiming I was at fault wasn't going to fly and that I had a dashcam. To his credit, he was completely respectable and easy to work with after that point... even texting me later that night to make sure I was ok.

As far as injuries go - the car did it's job for the most part. They claim to have an anti-whiplash system in place, and given how hard I was hit it really seemed to do the job. I had some neck stiffness for the first 2-3 days along with a headache that subsided over that timeframe, followed by upper back tension and pain for the last week. Doctor says I should heal up just fine. Luckily I was alone in the car, and was actually 2 minutes away from picking up my kid from daycare.

The 14 day rule:

So, due to an earlier thread on Beyond in which our resident insurance Guru - Masked Bandit - had commented, as well as a little light research of my own, I opted not to change the registration and insurance over right away.

The cop attending the scene seemed not to know the rule so much himself. I gave him whatever paperwork I had, which consisted of the insurance slip from the Infiniti, the cut-in-half registration of the Jag from the prior owner, and the bill of sale. He seemed pretty confused, and asked me for the insurance card for the Jaguar - which of course I did not have. He said I still needed insurance, and he just suggested it was the same policy number - to which I agreed just to keep the situation smooth and without issue. I am not sure if he felt he was giving me a break, or was somewhat aware of the rule but decided to let it all slide due to his self-aware lack of knowledge. But luckily he didn't persist at all or it would have been another speedbump I'd have to overcome.

Anyway, I soon after reported the accident with my insurance company. I had pm'd Masked Bandit to ensure I remembered the 14 day rule correctly - to which he replied that he didn't feel I would have a problem. What the 14 day rule basically states (and honestly, I don't know who mandated this. Government? Insurance authority?) that you have 14 days to change over BOTH your insurance AND registration to your new-to-you vehicle. There are conditions to this rule, though. One technical condition is that you have sold your previous vehicle. Presumably, this is why the rule exists - to ensure you can lawfully drive your replacement vehicle without worrying about insurance and registration before you can even bring it home. Many people are aware of the 14 day for registration, but almost zero people I've talked to have known that it applies for insurance as well. They don't exactly advertise this, since it provides extra complication in the event of an accident.

So when I called my insurance company, they asked me which vehicle on my policy was hit. I told them that in fact I had recently purchased the vehicle, and I was running with the plate from my Infiniti. The insurance rep was clearly confused right from the beginning - insisting that I wasn't actually covered, with myself insisting that I was. After putting me on hold for 5 minutes to talk to his supervisor, he came back saying that they would indeed cover me.

What followed was a comedy of confusion - with them telling me all sorts of different things... such as:
    1) I would not be covered under collision because my Jeep doesn't have it. Yet, that's not the plate I was using.
    2) I would have to work with their insurance company because of the situation.
    3) I would be responsible for the deductible, even though it was not at fault.
    4) They would have to perform a full investigation to determine fault. (Don't they always?)
    5) After sending me the pink slip for the Jag, telling me to register the vehicle then retracting that, then the next day asking me to register it again.
    6) Saying that this claim was "Without Prejudice" as opposed to a standard claim - even though the other party was already deemed at fault by the police and charged accordingly.

At this point I have submitted everything they have asked for, including the bill of sale; hopefully they don't try to offer me the 18g I paid, since I cannot find a car like this again for any less than about 24g....

I will update this thread once we get past the compensation stage and I can provide some sort of conclusion on how this all worked out. But in the meantime, I would suggest using this 14 day rule at your own risk. While it does indeed exist, I think that one would be advised on getting ALL the facts and conditions for which this rule can be used. Additionally, I would advise everyone to be aware that it appears not all insurance companies and/or reps are either aware of the rule, or how to proceed with a claim under the rule. I think the only time I would consider using this rule again is if there was simply no way to get everything sorted prior to getting possession of the vehicle. And even then, I certainly don't think I would drive a vehicle around for a week believing everything was going to be rosy if I got hit. Remember: I am being made to jump through hoops WITHOUT the cops deeming it my fault. How would this all have gone if I WAS at fault? *Shudder*

Bill: I think everyone would appreciate anything else you had to add to the thread.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-21-2017 at 12:06 PM.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I'm a little confused why you didn't insure it before you picked it up...regardless of the rule or not. Takes the stress out of the situation.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a little confused why you didn't insure it before you picked it up...regardless of the rule or not. Takes the stress out of the situation.
    No kidding. Why push it? And it's super easy to get coverage swapped/setup on a new car...have a new insurance slip via email the same day.

What was your motivation for waiting?

And sorry to hear about the accident...hopefully you get everything squared away with minimal issues.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

...because there's a 14 day rule? I didn't expect to be hit, and I didn't expect my insurance company wasn't aware of the rule.

But to answer your question more fully - I still had my Infiniti, and I was planning on putting the plate back on it after the 14 days until it sold. This was just so I could get a feel for the Jaguar and ensure I could get any parts needed or issues squared away before I was to drive it full time.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    ...because there's a 14 day rule? I didn't expect to be hit, and I didn't expect my insurance company wasn't aware of the rule.

But to answer your question more fully - I still had my Infiniti, and I was planning on putting the plate back on it after the 14 days until it sold. This was just so I could get a feel for the car and ensure I could get any parts needed or issues squared away before I was to drive it full time.
    But you stated this condition of the rule?

One technical condition is that you have sold your previous vehicle.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Lesson of the day: 10 mins on the phone with insurance for a new policy saves a whole ton of headaches.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I have never heard of the 14 day rule for insurance. I don't see how an insurance company would allow that as you need different coverage for different vehicles.

I found this from a quick google:

If you transfer the plates from one vehicle to another without telling your insurance company to authorize the transfer, you can be charged for driving without insurance. If you get into an accident, the insurance company will deny the insurance coverage. You cannot use someone else’s license plates on your vehicle, even if the plates were on the vehicle before you purchased it.
    http://clg.ab.ca/programs-services/d...ce-in-alberta/

I mean I couldn't even drive me new vehicle away from the dealer without proving it was insured.

Also straight from the alberta website:

Existing licence plates
    You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate.

The 14-day period allowed for the transfer of licence plate/registration doesn’t apply to commercial vehicles and insurance documents.

Check with your insurance company or broker for insurance requirements and coverage information.
    https://www.alberta.ca/transfer-vehi...istration.aspx

I sure hope you don't get your claim denied or a ticket for driving without insurance.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 08-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.

My Ride
    German

Glad you walked away without injury, but that's pretty ballsy IMO to assume both insurance and registration would fall under the 14 day rule. I recently picked up a new vehicle as well, used the old plate, and didn't get a chance to register it for 2 days but made sure to update the insurance before picking up the new vehicle. Registration I can understand, but insurance for sure would be risky. What if I had a POS beater and decided to buy a Lambo and slap the plate on that? Surely the premiums would be quite different between the two and it would be unfair for my insurance provider to honor me any coverage without disclosure from my part. Hope everything works out well for you and thanks for sharing!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The only time I did something similar was when I purchased a truck on a Saturday (insurance is Monday to Friday for me) and I simply could not pass up on the truck as it was way underpriced. The only reason I did it was because it was less than 2km to my home from the sellers house, had it been further I would have asked them to drive it there for me then done all the paperwork and money handling when it arrived safely. I didn't drive the vehicle off my driveway again until I had a proper pink card on Monday.

I guess it's a good lesson to stick to making sure I have insurance on paper before I even think about picking up a vehicle, otherwise it could be come a huge headache whether it's simply getting pulled over and law enforcement not knowing, or having an accident.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I don't see how an insurance company would allow that as you need different coverage for different vehicles.
    Good point...made me think...what if you had a $5K car and replaced it with a $50K car and got in an accident within 14 days without transferring insurance. Would your coverage be limited to $5K?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by infected View Post
    Glad you walked away without injury, but that's pretty ballsy IMO to assume both insurance and registration would fall under the 14 day rule. I recently picked up a new vehicle as well, used the old plate, and didn't get a chance to register it for 2 days but made sure to update the insurance before picking up the new vehicle. Registration I can understand, but insurance for sure would be risky. What if I had a POS beater and decided to buy a Lambo and slap the plate on that? Surely the premiums would be quite different between the two and it would be unfair for my insurance provider to honor me any coverage without disclosure from my part. Hope everything works out well for you and thanks for sharing!
    Fair. I had also heard at some time that the vehicles should be similarly valued. (And they are)

Honestly guys - I know I took risks here in retrospect. I have a lot going on right now, but should have taken the time to do things by the book. But this thread really exists just to mention the accident, but more importantly to enlighten people as to the fact such a rule does indeed exist, and to try to flush out all the details of the rule so everyone here knows how they are or are not protected by it if they need to be.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Fair. I had also heard at some time that the vehicles should be similarly valued. (And they are)
    I mean unless the Government of Alberta website is wrong, what you have heard about the 14 day rule in relation to Insurance is totally wrong.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

This is interesting. I always get my insurance sorted out before taking the car.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I mean unless the Government of Alberta website is wrong, what you have heard about the 14 day rule in relation to Insurance is totally wrong.
    Where's Masked Bandit when you need him...?

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

That's bad luck,but always change insurance before you start driving a new car so much easier.

You will not get any more than you paid for it I can promise that. If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    That's bad luck,but always change insurance before you start driving a new car so much easier.
    Absolutely my point. It is best not to rely on this in order to avoid potential complications. Hence, why I wanted to bring it to light for everyone.

For the record, the point that I am at right now: I have pink slips and have paid for insurance starting on the 3rd when I bought the car. So I AM absolutely covered.

You will not get any more than you paid for it I can promise that. If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.
    If true, that does suck since I'm never gonna find that car for that price again. But if that's what it comes down to, then I'm not exactly in a position of bargaining power here....
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-21-2017 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

If you paid 18k that's the most you will get.
    This. Why is insurance expected to pay you for more than you paid?
    That's like telling the travel insurance that you bought a trip to Hawaii on sale with $400 flights, can't go because ___, and now they owe you $800 because that's what it costs today.

Edit: Also, doesn't the payout come from the other insurance company since you're not at fault?
    Last edited by jwslam; 08-21-2017 at 12:56 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Here's the old thread discussing the 14-day rule
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/351...a-vehicle-home
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    That's like telling the travel insurance that you bought a trip to Hawaii on sale with $400 flights, can't go because ___, and now they owe you $800 because that's what it costs today.
    +1
    Also don't know how an insurance company can issue back dated pink slip.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

Edit: Also, doesn't the payout come from the other insurance company since you're not at fault?
    So for your first comment - isn't one supposed to be covered to the amount required to replace their vehicle? (Especially with collision). Put it this way - say I had a charitable uncle who gave me a car for $1. If it was fully insured, is the insurance company responsible for $1 or for the value of the car?

As for the second question: Yes, because they were at fault their insurance company would have to pay. But because I had collision (I believe), I deal with my insurance company.

Honestly guys - I think there is a lot of speculation (of my own as well) in this thread so far, so unless someone like Masked Bandit wants to come in here with sure-fire legit information, we might be better off not throwing around questions and speculation until we see how this all plays out then I can give everyone the full run-down from beginning to end. Thanks for providing the link to the old thread Strider. I hope that alleviates some questions in the meantime.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-21-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast