Quantcast
Ipad wont restore - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ipad wont restore

My Ride
    KTM

Default Ipad wont restore

I have a 2 year old Ipad 2 Air. When travelling last week it shut down and went to the IPAD restore screen. Once i returned I tried several times to restore with Itunes and its failing to upgrade and coming up with unknown error of "9" or "4013". There is some information on the apple website of possible ways to remedy, none of these worked. I went into the Apple store today and they also tried to restore without luck. I have no warranty so the only option is to replace it- as they dont actual repair ipads.

The unit itself is in perfect shape, i rarley use it and the kids arent allowed to touch it. Kinda annoyed it only last 2 years. (insert should have bought apple care comments here)

I emailed a couple guys on kijiji and the all seemed liked that hadn't heard of the issue and sounded like the were more into screen replacements. Does anyone have a good repair person or been in this position before?

Thanks
    Craig

My Ride
    This and that.

Just curious, didn't they offer to subsidize the cost of the replacement iPad at the Apple store? Like you get a new one for fraction of the cost?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Does you ipad have cell service? I've had this happen on iPhones which had a corrupt baseband, redsnow had an option to restore the baseband and that worked for me.
    Try restoring it in DFU mode if ioads have that, and also with the latest firmware pack and the most recent itunes installation.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Install the latest version of iTunes.
    Force your device to restart: press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
    Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
    When iTunes asks you to update or restore, click Update (not Restore) to reinstall iOS and keep your personal data.

Done

If that doesn't fix it use a different lightning cable. That error is caused by a hardware fault. Normally a bad cable, a full storage iPad or a wifi drop.
    Last edited by Kavy; 08-22-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My in laws had a 5 that had a similar problem. Memory fault, no way to fix it. Could pay for repair (which is literally buying a refurb 5) so it wasn't worth it at all. They goodwill recycled the phone and gave me $150 credit towards a refurbed 6S which ended up being the same price as a repair replacement 5.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    KTM

Not sure how to quote everyone all at once so I will just reply individually.

@shakalaka - they didnt offer to subsidize the cost. Well maybe they did but the subsidized cost for a Ipad 2 Air is about the same cost as the current generation Ipad. So basically 50$ more gets the most current version. On the flip side I am assuming my 110$ keyboard case wouldnt work with the new version so I would be down that. To put into perspective how much the ipad was used before it failed I charged the keyboard case twice in 2 years.

@Kavy - I have done everything you listed and the Apple store did the same thing today. Same result, wont restore. I wish it was that easy buy it appears to be more. I tried on 2 computers at home with 2 different cables.

@rage2 - They didnt offer a recycle deal. I will maybe call and ask. I bought the Ipad over android or a surface because our original Ipad has been rock solid for 6 years. I have caught the kids stepping on it and didnt miss a beat. Disappointed it didnt last- will likely go to Android at this point for the next device and not be handcuffed by Apple IOS.
    Last edited by craigcd; 08-22-2017 at 11:38 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @rage2 - They didnt offer a recycle deal. I will maybe call and ask. I bought the Ipad over android or a surface because our original Ipad has been rock solid for 6 years. I have caught the kids stepping on it and didnt miss a beat. Disappointed it didnt last- will likely go to Android at this point for the next device and not be handcuffed by Apple IOS.
    Just luck of the draw. Our iPads have been really solid as well. Water, juice, food, stepped on, thrown around, just works. Just shitty odds you end up with a device with a bad internal component.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    KTM

Figured I should update this. Took it to a guy who has been successful repairing this issue in the past and he confirmed it was shot.

So I am a little bitter on Apple, that being said should I consider another product or just go buy an ipad 4? I am comfortable with android and in the past had a android nexus tablet but found it slowed down fast and basically just stopped using it. I was considering a chromebook also........

My use is pretty much only browsing and I do like a keyboard- i spent 130$ on my last keyboard style case that is now useless as it doesnt fit the ipad 4. Am I crazy for considering something else?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was going to say buy an iPad 2 Air and call it a day, but it costs more than the new budget iPad.

But like I said, luck of the draw. Did you see if they would good will credit you for recycling to lessen the burden? It's at the genius' discretion so wouldn't hurt to try at a couple stores. There's also cheap ones on kijiji.

Also doesn't hurt to best buy a couple Android and Chromebooks tablets. Return it if you don't like it.

My Ride
    KTM

@rage2 it didnt sound like they would do a credit so I sold it to a guy for parts. Likely works out to be the same as what Apple would have gave me. Do you buy apple care on your stuff? I know of all warranties its not a terrible one but I cant bring myself to spend the money on a warranty. Would rather take the chance..... like I just did apparently.

Good call on the chromebook "rentals"- I might give that a shot haha. Find one I like, buy it, if I hate it return it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No AppleCare, unless it’s a business expense. The exception is the Apple Watch for my gf since it’s her daily beater.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good call on the chromebook "rentals"- I might give that a shot haha. Find one I like, buy it, if I hate it return it.
    If you're going to get a Chromebook, look for one that has Google Play installed or one where you can install it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/co..._android_apps/