Quantcast
COP "Downhill" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: COP "Downhill"

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Default COP "Downhill"

Just wanted to see if anyone had ridden there much and if they could lend any advice.

If my friends and i wanna go try it out, but we ride XC/Enduro bikes (sstumpjumper/Trance etc) will our bikes be ok? we're new and not gunna be dropping any major shit.

Also what do people wear for protective equipment? Knee/shin pads? Elbow pads? full face lids? I have some old dirtbiking knee/shin pads but that's about it haha..

Thanks!

My Ride
    is faster than yours

You'll be fine. It's pretty tame...DH bikes were overkill on most everything there.

Been a couple years but yea as never said it's pretty tame. They have really nice flowy runs you'll be fine.

I wear full face but not necessary if you aren't pushing hard. I would recommend shin pads or thick pants just because I've taken WAY too many pedals to the shin.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been a couple years but yea as never said it's pretty tame. They have really nice flowy runs you'll be fine.

I wear full face but not necessary if you aren't pushing hard. I would recommend shin pads or thick pants just because I've taken WAY too many pedals to the shin.
    I always seem to get it in the back of the calf lol

thanks guys!

Might be different now but I stopped riding there a couple years ago for 2 reasons:

1) It takes like 2-3 mins go go down the hill on the only DH course, which is very tame, then back in the chairlift lineup.

2) Too many idiots walking their 'dirt jumping' or BMX bikes backwards up the DH course around blind corners to hit the table tops or jumps over and over again, and I almost rammed into them at 50-60 km/h on numerous occasions. It's just dangerous and COP does nothing about it.

If you go, I would make sure you at least have an "all mountain" type bike with 5-6" travel front & rear. I would wear full face, gloves, and shin guards as an absolute minimum because of how many idiots there are out there if you go on the DH course. I wear a chest protector too and it has saved me more than once from injury. If you stick to the XC trails it's not nearly as bad.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-23-2017 at 01:21 PM.

My Ride
    Lariat

I have done it on a hard tail with no problems so an xc/enduro bike will be fine. As most have said a dh can be overkill for some of the cop trails. Wear a good helmet (preferably full face) and some knee/shin pads.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Might be different now but I stopped riding there a couple years ago for 2 reasons:

1) It takes like 2-3 mins go go down the hill on the only DH course, which is very tame, then back in the chairlift lineup.

2) Too many idiots walking their 'dirt jumping' or BMX bikes backwards up the DH course around blind corners to hit the table tops or jumps over and over again, and I almost rammed into them at 50-60 km/h on numerous occasions. It's just dangerous and COP does nothing about it.

If you go, I would make sure you at least have an "all mountain" type bike with 5-6" travel front & rear. I would wear full face, gloves, and shin guards as an absolute minimum because of how many idiots there are out there if you go on the DH course. I wear a chest protector too and it has saved me more than once from injury. If you stick to the XC trails it's not nearly as bad.
    Laser fade and dragon slayer aren't bad, no one walks up those and don't really need much suspension to ride those, super flowy with a couple mildly technical spots from what I remember

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Laser fade and dragon slayer aren't bad, no one walks up those and don't really need much suspension to ride those, super flowy with a couple mildly technical spots from what I remember
    Correct, I am talking about the DH course. That's the only one that has historically had huge rocks, good sized drops, etc. - not sure what it's like now. The other trails are quite tame and like you say, mostly flowy.

There's always an option to go around any big jumps.
    Never had an issue with people walking back up to hit the same jump again. Never gone on a weekend though.
    I rent from COP and just rent a full face helmet. I bring gloves and am okay.
    That being said, if you push hard, I'm sure you'll wipe.

Hate that they shut down on any storm/lightning chances. Check weather before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Correct, I am talking about the DH course. That's the only one that has historically had huge rocks, good sized drops, etc. - not sure what it's like now. The other trails are quite tame and like you say, mostly flowy.
    So many good memories being jerry of the day on that main rock garden on the DH course. Go faster they said, it will make it easier they said

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If you like flowy trails that just work, stick to Safari Planet.

I had a pass last year and took my Trek Remedy (160 f, 150 r) and it was totally fine. Took the Remedy to Whistler in June, did A-Line and it was fine (for perspective).

I'd do Safari Planet on a hard tail. I find the rest of the trails at COP meh. You are better off shuttling at Moose.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

I've run my old 26" giant reign out there for a long time. need to get out more though. would love to try shuttle at moose.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
    I've run my old 26" giant reign out there for a long time. need to get out more though. would love to try shuttle at moose.
    What's the story with that, is it a setup thing or just people running their trucks up and taking turns?

Did West Bragg tuesday night, felt bad cause I'm a big fucker and im not crazy fast so a couple people caught up on the way down of merlin loop and i held them up a bit..
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 08-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    What's the story with that, is it a setup thing or just people running their trucks up and taking turns?

Did West Bragg tuesday night, felt bad cause I'm a big fucker and im not crazy fast so a couple people caught up on the way down of merlin loop and i held them up a bit..
    At Moose, you just drive your own truck up with buddies and at least one extra vehicle.

Or if you want to pedal up, you can ride the road or Pneuma and hit any choice of trail to come down. Most/all trails will require a ride back along the highway if you parked at the bottom of Moose.
    Last edited by never; 08-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post

Let me know if you ever need another slow person to tag along on your Bragg rides, I just bought a mtb again a couple nights ago. Haven't ridden anythinf but commuting in a couple years now. Need to get back to the trails

My Ride

I haven't been to C.O.P in a couple of years, but apparently they have tamed everything down significantly in that time. I'll probably go once or twice, after my lungs are back up to snuff, just to get the dust off and get back at trail biking.

As far as gear goes, I always wear full-face helmet, goggles, gloves, forearm pads, and shin pads, along with thick TLD pants that didn't fit my fiance. Probably overkill, but I am SUPER accident prone, and it has all ended up saving me on numerous occasions.

I've always wanted to go out and try some of the trails around Bragg, but I'm terrified that the die-hards will be constantly catching up and getting grumpy with me (if they don't run me over) haha

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

OP, you'll be fine. Brought my Trance there earlier this season and it's all good - same as you, not doing any massive jumps or anything. You should be able to ride all the trails there, everything has a ride around. The black trails aren't even steep or techy, they just have massive jumps on them. Saw lot's of other people there running more XC oriented bikes with half lids and gloves - all good, you can have fun regardless of what type of bike you ride.

Anyone remember when they had the dual eliminator track. I think it was around 15 years ago. Was an awesome track to race your buddies on and you could destroy them if they didn't have the balls to do the gap jump.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    OP, you'll be fine. Brought my Trance there earlier this season and it's all good - same as you, not doing any massive jumps or anything. You should be able to ride all the trails there, everything has a ride around. The black trails aren't even steep or techy, they just have massive jumps on them. Saw lot's of other people there running more XC oriented bikes with half lids and gloves - all good, you can have fun regardless of what type of bike you ride.
    Not everything has a ride-around if you're going on the black diamond trails. Haircut rabbit has a mandatory gap jump (maybe more than one?) and Lazer Fade has a mandatory steep wooden roll down. Everything else is either rollable or has a ride-around. Take it easy on each trail the first time you ride it to learn the trail and you'll be fine. Stop off the side of the trail, especially on Safari Planet as people come rocketing through there.
    East trees is all relatively easy stuff, and slower. West trees has more built skinnies / jumps / berms. Watch out for kids and big groups - I think it's the last week of camps right now.