Quantcast
COP "Downhill" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: COP "Downhill"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE
    My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro
    Posts
    1,423
    Rep Power
    13

    Default COP "Downhill"

    Just wanted to see if anyone had ridden there much and if they could lend any advice.

    If my friends and i wanna go try it out, but we ride XC/Enduro bikes (sstumpjumper/Trance etc) will our bikes be ok? we're new and not gunna be dropping any major shit.

    Also what do people wear for protective equipment? Knee/shin pads? Elbow pads? full face lids? I have some old dirtbiking knee/shin pads but that's about it haha..

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Foothills County
    My Ride
    is faster than yours
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    You'll be fine. It's pretty tame...DH bikes were overkill on most everything there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Been a couple years but yea as never said it's pretty tame. They have really nice flowy runs you'll be fine.

    I wear full face but not necessary if you aren't pushing hard. I would recommend shin pads or thick pants just because I've taken WAY too many pedals to the shin.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE
    My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro
    Posts
    1,423
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been a couple years but yea as never said it's pretty tame. They have really nice flowy runs you'll be fine.

    I wear full face but not necessary if you aren't pushing hard. I would recommend shin pads or thick pants just because I've taken WAY too many pedals to the shin.
    I always seem to get it in the back of the calf lol

    thanks guys!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,825
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Might be different now but I stopped riding there a couple years ago for 2 reasons:

    1) It takes like 2-3 mins go go down the hill on the only DH course, which is very tame, then back in the chairlift lineup.

    2) Too many idiots walking their 'dirt jumping' or BMX bikes backwards up the DH course around blind corners to hit the table tops or jumps over and over again, and I almost rammed into them at 50-60 km/h on numerous occasions. It's just dangerous and COP does nothing about it.

    If you go, I would make sure you at least have an "all mountain" type bike with 5-6" travel front & rear. I would wear full face, gloves, and shin guards as an absolute minimum because of how many idiots there are out there if you go on the DH course. I wear a chest protector too and it has saved me more than once from injury. If you stick to the XC trails it's not nearly as bad.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-23-2017 at 01:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    08 Porsche CTT
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I have done it on a hard tail with no problems so an xc/enduro bike will be fine. As most have said a dh can be overkill for some of the cop trails. Wear a good helmet (preferably full face) and some knee/shin pads.
    _____ASP______

    current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Might be different now but I stopped riding there a couple years ago for 2 reasons:

    1) It takes like 2-3 mins go go down the hill on the only DH course, which is very tame, then back in the chairlift lineup.

    2) Too many idiots walking their 'dirt jumping' or BMX bikes backwards up the DH course around blind corners to hit the table tops or jumps over and over again, and I almost rammed into them at 50-60 km/h on numerous occasions. It's just dangerous and COP does nothing about it.

    If you go, I would make sure you at least have an "all mountain" type bike with 5-6" travel front & rear. I would wear full face, gloves, and shin guards as an absolute minimum because of how many idiots there are out there if you go on the DH course. I wear a chest protector too and it has saved me more than once from injury. If you stick to the XC trails it's not nearly as bad.
    Laser fade and dragon slayer aren't bad, no one walks up those and don't really need much suspension to ride those, super flowy with a couple mildly technical spots from what I remember

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,825
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Laser fade and dragon slayer aren't bad, no one walks up those and don't really need much suspension to ride those, super flowy with a couple mildly technical spots from what I remember
    Correct, I am talking about the DH course. That's the only one that has historically had huge rocks, good sized drops, etc. - not sure what it's like now. The other trails are quite tame and like you say, mostly flowy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,051
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    There's always an option to go around any big jumps.
    Never had an issue with people walking back up to hit the same jump again. Never gone on a weekend though.
    I rent from COP and just rent a full face helmet. I bring gloves and am okay.
    That being said, if you push hard, I'm sure you'll wipe.

    Hate that they shut down on any storm/lightning chances. Check weather before you go.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Correct, I am talking about the DH course. That's the only one that has historically had huge rocks, good sized drops, etc. - not sure what it's like now. The other trails are quite tame and like you say, mostly flowy.
    So many good memories being jerry of the day on that main rock garden on the DH course. Go faster they said, it will make it easier they said

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,068
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    If you like flowy trails that just work, stick to Safari Planet.

    I had a pass last year and took my Trek Remedy (160 f, 150 r) and it was totally fine. Took the Remedy to Whistler in June, did A-Line and it was fine (for perspective).

    I'd do Safari Planet on a hard tail. I find the rest of the trails at COP meh. You are better off shuttling at Moose.
    My Tesla referral link: https://ts.la/moon14483

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    K Pop Yacht
    Posts
    780
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I've run my old 26" giant reign out there for a long time. need to get out more though. would love to try shuttle at moose.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE
    My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro
    Posts
    1,423
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've run my old 26" giant reign out there for a long time. need to get out more though. would love to try shuttle at moose.
    What's the story with that, is it a setup thing or just people running their trucks up and taking turns?

    Did West Bragg tuesday night, felt bad cause I'm a big fucker and im not crazy fast so a couple people caught up on the way down of merlin loop and i held them up a bit..
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 08-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Foothills County
    My Ride
    is faster than yours
    Posts
    983
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the story with that, is it a setup thing or just people running their trucks up and taking turns?

    Did West Bragg tuesday night, felt bad cause I'm a big fucker and im not crazy fast so a couple people caught up on the way down of merlin loop and i held them up a bit..
    At Moose, you just drive your own truck up with buddies and at least one extra vehicle.

    Or if you want to pedal up, you can ride the road or Pneuma and hit any choice of trail to come down. Most/all trails will require a ride back along the highway if you parked at the bottom of Moose.
    Last edited by never; 08-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the story with that, is it a setup thing or just people running their trucks up and taking turns?

    Did West Bragg tuesday night, felt bad cause I'm a big fucker and im not crazy fast so a couple people caught up on the way down of merlin loop and i held them up a bit..
    Let me know if you ever need another slow person to tag along on your Bragg rides, I just bought a mtb again a couple nights ago. Haven't ridden anythinf but commuting in a couple years now. Need to get back to the trails

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    987.2
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I haven't been to C.O.P in a couple of years, but apparently they have tamed everything down significantly in that time. I'll probably go once or twice, after my lungs are back up to snuff, just to get the dust off and get back at trail biking.

    As far as gear goes, I always wear full-face helmet, goggles, gloves, forearm pads, and shin pads, along with thick TLD pants that didn't fit my fiance. Probably overkill, but I am SUPER accident prone, and it has all ended up saving me on numerous occasions.

    I've always wanted to go out and try some of the trails around Bragg, but I'm terrified that the die-hards will be constantly catching up and getting grumpy with me (if they don't run me over) haha

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    OP, you'll be fine. Brought my Trance there earlier this season and it's all good - same as you, not doing any massive jumps or anything. You should be able to ride all the trails there, everything has a ride around. The black trails aren't even steep or techy, they just have massive jumps on them. Saw lot's of other people there running more XC oriented bikes with half lids and gloves - all good, you can have fun regardless of what type of bike you ride.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Anyone remember when they had the dual eliminator track. I think it was around 15 years ago. Was an awesome track to race your buddies on and you could destroy them if they didn't have the balls to do the gap jump.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    Wankels!
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OP, you'll be fine. Brought my Trance there earlier this season and it's all good - same as you, not doing any massive jumps or anything. You should be able to ride all the trails there, everything has a ride around. The black trails aren't even steep or techy, they just have massive jumps on them. Saw lot's of other people there running more XC oriented bikes with half lids and gloves - all good, you can have fun regardless of what type of bike you ride.
    Not everything has a ride-around if you're going on the black diamond trails. Haircut rabbit has a mandatory gap jump (maybe more than one?) and Lazer Fade has a mandatory steep wooden roll down. Everything else is either rollable or has a ride-around. Take it easy on each trail the first time you ride it to learn the trail and you'll be fine. Stop off the side of the trail, especially on Safari Planet as people come rocketing through there.
    East trees is all relatively easy stuff, and slower. West trees has more built skinnies / jumps / berms. Watch out for kids and big groups - I think it's the last week of camps right now.

Similar Threads

  1. Cop arrests cop video follow up.

    By 16hypen3sp in forum Misc. Gallery
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 11-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  2. Behind the Wheel - Mar 26, 2008 - Good Cop, Bad Cop!

    By skidmark in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM
  3. Good cop, baby cop

    By 2jzgte in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 06-30-2007, 03:17 AM
  4. Downhill MTB Pics - 56k watch paint dry.

    By Ben in forum Misc. Gallery
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 10-16-2004, 02:35 PM
  5. Anyone want a really nice full suspension downhill bike?

    By cipher in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 01-31-2003, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •