Quantcast
Nait BACHELOR OF APPLIED INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECH - any grads? Career outcome ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nait BACHELOR OF APPLIED INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECH - any grads? Career outcome ?

Default Nait BACHELOR OF APPLIED INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECH - any grads? Career outcome ?

Thinking about attending this in the fall. Specifically the software program.

I do have a petroleum engineering degree from the uofa (2010) but I never pursed a career in it, so that ship has sailed.

With my previous degree, this program would be 1 year of schooling and then co-op. Quick in and out for a career change.

I'm currently doing construction (tile setting) and I do good for money but I'm really bored of this field. I could do other construction related stuff but I just don't want that lifestyle. I don't want to drive a truck or work van anymore. Simple car would be nice...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't expect there will be jobs coming out of this program. IT market has been contracted a bit in Calgary. With cost pressure on oil and less spent on on-prem infrastructure, expect that continue.

Forget about network/server/storage, focus on Azure, Office 365, AWS, and various IT processes and security field.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-26-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Xtrema:
    I found your replies to a similar question back in 2009, (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/271...ystems-program).

I have the option of going through UofA CompSci 2 year program but that wouldn't happen until Fall 2018... By which time if I attend this Nait program Fall 2017 I will already be done and potentially be working before even starting UofA, a way quicker turn around for this career change.

I've been advised by multiple people not to do the network option because of how things tend to be in the "cloud" and such.

I understand that these days to get a job it's 90% because of who you know.

In you opinion, is it worth the wait another 3 years to be done vs. 1 + co-op placement at nait?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by zither99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Xtrema:
    I found your replies to a similar question back in 2009, (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/271...ystems-program).

I have the option of going through UofA CompSci 2 year program but that wouldn't happen until Fall 2018... By which time if I attend this Nait program Fall 2017 I will already be done and potentially be working before even starting UofA, a way quicker turn around for this career change.

I've been advised by multiple people not to do the network option because of how things tend to be in the "cloud" and such.

I understand that these days to get a job it's 90% because of who you know.

In you opinion, is it worth the wait another 3 years to be done vs. 1 + co-op placement at nait?
    If your target is jobs, NAIT/SAIT is way to go, cut the theoretical BS and go right into what employer needs. University Comp Sci degree for IT, while not a complete waste, it's definitely not worth the time. Comp Sci degree is more for coding side of things. The need for programmers will not be lessen going forward but to me that's a whole different mind set needed than your general IT.

Cost pressure are the same, both can easily outsourced/offshored.

Pay wise, of course a uni degree will have potential to start you off at higher and may make it better for promotion later over a tech school degree. But if you are smart and good at your job, (or good at sucking up), it is not as big of barrier in Alberta.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.