Quantcast
BEST Place to build a 1 Million Dollar Home in Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BEST Place to build a 1 Million Dollar Home in Calgary

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This... either Springbank or West Calgary. Lot's of new 1 acre lots opening up on 85th right now. I loved living in the West side of Calgary. No crime, less police doing traffic tickets, an easy 15 minute drive to work (not just realtor speak either, actually 15 minutes from door to door), and better weather than the North. Plus a nice easy drive out of town via highway 8.

Cranston is like a million miles away, you may as well go live in Cochrane
    I think this is such a great area.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    It takes 15-30 minutes to get anywhere ( nearly ) in the city. When I worked downtown at the Suncor building it was 22 minutes from my door to my desk.
    And you left for work at 4am and drove 130 km/hr?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This... either Springbank or West Calgary. Lot's of new 1 acre lots opening up on 85th right now. I loved living in the West side of Calgary. No crime, less police doing traffic tickets, an easy 15 minute drive to work (not just realtor speak either, actually 15 minutes from door to door), and better weather than the North. Plus a nice easy drive out of town via highway 8.

Cranston is like a million miles away, you may as well go live in Cochrane
    Commute is literally 5 minutes longer depending on where in West Calgary or Springbank you live according to google. (vs Mahogany to literally the middle of DT).

Depending on which side of DT you work on, the commute is the same. People over estimate how long it takes to go down Deerfoot in the AM once you're already on Deerfoot. The nice thing is if Deerfoot is having a bad day you can take Stony to avoid a lot of bad spots.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I think this is such a great area.
    Left around 8-8:10am and arrived roughly 22 minutes later.

Up stony trail, down paigin trail then memorial downtown.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for SW.

If you're building new, look in Harmony (lake community in the SW). It'll be more expensive than down south, but if I was planning a forever home, I'd stretch the budget (or downsize the house). You won't ever be at the mercy of deerfoot, easier to get out to the mountains, etc etc as listed above.

Now that I live in the SW, I likely won't ever move. We're going to upsize in the next 2-5 years, but will definitely be shopping in our same community or nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Commute is literally 5 minutes longer depending on where in West Calgary or Springbank you live according to google. (vs Mahogany to literally the middle of DT).

Depending on which side of DT you work on, the commute is the same. People over estimate how long it takes to go down Deerfoot in the AM once you're already on Deerfoot. The nice thing is if Deerfoot is having a bad day you can take Stony to avoid a lot of bad spots.
    Yeah, but with even the slightest traffic incident the commute time on deerfoot skyrockets (source: I drove it for 12 years from both down south and up north). Traffic in and out of the SW communities just plain doesn't get as bad. And it will only get better once SW ring road is done.
    Last edited by bjstare; 08-29-2017 at 04:39 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

You'll be paying a bit more in Mahogany due to the lake access but at the same time, your property will hold it's value for that same reason. With this being a forever home and kids are in the plan I would vote for staying in Mahogany. I love Heritage Pointe / Artesia (sp?) but with kids in sports and schools going out of town like that complicates things. Hockey for example would be based out of Okotoks which means no ice in Calgary and games in Airdrie, Cochrane, Strathmore, etc.. Living in Mahogany means all of your ice times are closer. I know thinking about hockey ice times as it relates to where you live is a bit nuts considering you don't even have kids yet but looking back, us picking Chaparral over Okotoks has had a lot of benefits other than commuting to work times. I keep looking at properties for right around $1M and Heritage Pointe / Crystal Ridge (Okotoks) gets me a lot more house than Chaparral but it complicates the shit out of all the kids' activities. Plus, having the lake access is a HUGE benefit (hence the increased property value), we probably use it 50 - 60 days a year.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    +1 for SW.

If you're building new, look in Harmony (lake community in the SW). It'll be more expensive than down south, but if I was planning a forever home, I'd stretch the budget (or downsize the house). You won't ever be at the mercy of deerfoot, easier to get out to the mountains, etc etc as listed above.

Now that I live in the SW, I likely won't ever move. We're going to upsize in the next 2-5 years, but will definitely be shopping in our same community or nearby.

Yeah, but with even the slightest traffic incident the commute time on deerfoot skyrockets (source: I drove it for 12 years from both down south and up north). Traffic in and out of the SW communities just plain doesn't get as bad. And it will only get better once SW ring road is done.
    See my routine is to check Google Maps before leaving to see if there are any incidents on Deerfoot, if there is I take Stony which is just as quick but more kilometers and a bit more annoying for me. Outside of the Snow storm days, Stony and Deerfoot have never had an accident at the same time when I've driven to and from work.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    See my routine is to check Google Maps before leaving to see if there are any incidents on Deerfoot, if there is I take Stony which is just as quick but more kilometers and a bit more annoying for me. Outside of the Snow storm days, Stony and Deerfoot have never had an accident at the same time when I've driven to and from work.
    After living in Calgary for a whooping three months back in 2010: fuck Deerfoot.

That road is a shit show, and it ain't getting better. I drive it still close to once a week, even 9pm at night its balls to the walls and full of shit drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    +1 for SW.

Harmony is west of the Springbank Airport, not even in Calgary. I doubt this will be a better commute than the dirty south. However, the master plan for the community looks amazing, and will be pretty much self sustaining (shopping, eating, school, lake, golf). For a long term home, it may be a great option if you aren't needing to be in DT Calgary every day, or don't mind a commute 10 minutes shorter than living in Cochrane. Price wise, I believe you are looking at the same as Mahogany.
    Last edited by NoSup4U; 08-29-2017 at 08:01 PM.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    After living in Calgary for a whooping three months back in 2010: fuck Deerfoot.

That road is a shit show, and it ain't getting better. I drive it still close to once a week, even 9pm at night its balls to the walls and full of shit drivers.
    totally agree, I used to live down south and getting up north or downtown isn't fun. also hope you like changing your windshield often. We moved inner city. thought i wouldn't like it, but dam 10 minute commute along with being super close to everything is the way to go.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    Harmony is west of the Springbank Airport, not even in Calgary. I doubt this will be a better commute than the dirty south. However, the master plan for the community looks amazing, and will be pretty much self sustaining (shopping, eating, school, lake, golf). For a long term home, it may be a great option if you aren't needing to be in DT Calgary every day, or don't mind a commute 10 minutes shorter than living in Cochrane. Price wise, I believe you are looking at the same as Mahogany.
    I doubt we will ever see the full Harmony plan come to fruition. It looks like a pipe dream to me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

For long term investment, I would do the west end instead of SE.

But sometimes, if you already love an area and already used to it and you know a school is coming for the kids, then there is no point moving.

Friend of mine moved out of that SE quadrant because of school is an huge issue and moved to older home at Lake Bonavista. West is also not much better for schooling, but at least there are a lot of good private options out there at $10-$15k/yr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2