• ExtraSlow and SKR fuck each other

907 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling on Kijiji

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Default Selling on Kijiji

I kind of know already what I'm going to do, just wondering how Beyond would deal with this.

Last Friday I listed a vehicle on Kijiji. Monday afternoon a guy calls, we talk back and forth on the phone and by text, and we get a deal sorted out. He still has to come see it in person, but I'm assuming he's going to take it. The trouble is between his schedule and mine, we can't actually do anything until this Friday (for future reference it's Wednesday today). I haven't asked for a deposit, and he hasn't offered one, but I'm treating it as if he has. I changed the title of the ad to "sold pending payment".

Monday night, I get a phone call from another guy who is every bit as interested, maybe more so than the first guy. There are no schedule conflicts and he says he has the money ready to go. He's even willing to pay more if that's what it takes to scoop the first guy. I told him I have a deal in place, and that I can't do anything until the first guy turns it down. But I'll let him know either way, and if the first guy turns it down, he's second in line.

Since then the guy has texted me 7 times, all with the same message - that he'll take it right now for a price higher than I agreed on with the first guy.

So what would you do? You agreed to sell it to one guy, but you've got another guy willing to pay more and there's no issues with finding time to exchange. Do you stand by your first deal, or do you take the easy money?

Poll is multiple choice you cunts.
    Last edited by SKR; 08-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

With Kijiji, you take the deal that results with you walking away with cash first. There's way too many flaky people on there.

There's no guarantee the first guy is going to take it so you could potentially have two deals fall through if you don't act.

If the first guy wanted it bad enough, he'd make time or he'd have someone give you a deposit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I tell people up front that I don't negotiate until they are standing in front of me and ready to pay. So I picked fuck you for the fact that it seems your actions caused this situation.

If I forgot all my rules for kijiji and found myself in your situation, I'd give guy 24 hours to bring cash and also let guy 2 know exactly when he can have it, 25 hours later.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Given that I have been burnt before by a guy "super interested" who I was in your shoes before and would reserve something and had another party interested in item more. But by the time first party flaked out the second guy took something else due to not wanting to wait it out. To me with Kijiji, first person with money in hand gets the item. I'd like the second guy come see it and if he buys it no hassle might as well. Message first guy and say no hard feelings i just had someone show up without conflicting schedules before and I can't say no to a sale.

My Ride

A lot of it is my own schedule though. It's not that I'm just waiting around for someone that might not show up. He's waiting for me to get my shit sorted out. And you're right, he still might not show.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So I picked fuck you for the fact that it seems your actions caused this situation.
    You picked "fuck you", meaning you. The correct answer is "fuck me".
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

I'd sell to second guy. Im not on Kijiji to make friends, I want to sell my shit asafp

My Ride

I kind of want to give the two guys each other's phone numbers and let them beat on each other for a while.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It's a dilemma. On one hand you want to keep your word (as you should be inclined to do), but on the other hand you have no guarantees the first guy won't flake out. On the other hand, the opportunity to sell right away (and for more $ no less) is pretty compelling.

I actually had a similar situation once. A guy came to see my car and said he would buy it and we agreed on a price. He said he wasn't sure of his schedule do he'd call me Friday night. Well, Saturday morning rolls around and I haven't heard from him yet, but had another guy come by to take a look even though I told him it may already be sold. The guy offered me cash right away, so I accepted. The first guy calls me that night to arrange for pickup, and I informed him the car sold in the morning. He wasn't pleased.

..but it happens. People change their mind and don't follow through on Kijiji constantly. It's almost expected by this point. If it was me, I'd sell it to the second guy.

Nothing is a guarantee on Kijiji, thus i say take the second guys money and have no regrets. I have made the decision to be more "honourable" and keep my word to the first guy to show interest, and it ended up biting me in the ass as the guy ended up buying something else while i waited for him to come through.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Second guy all the way. As most other people said, money talks. Get rid of the item.

I did the same thing with a bicycle recently. Tried to set up a time with someone who was interested, but it was days away. Someone else more interested came and worked around my schedule, drove away the same night with the bike. Emailed the first guy and said sorry, someone else worked around my schedule and bought it that night. Never heard back from guy 1, and the money's in my pocket.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    With Kijiji, you take the deal that results with you walking away with cash first.
    This basically applies to any deals, not just Kijiji. I typically find the first person to respond is the most likely to buy, usually because they are actively looking for what you have.

If someone places a deposit though, that is a completely different story. At that point, the person has put skin in the game, that requires being honored. I always request a deposit big enough relative to the price of the item that they can't just easily "walk away".

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Go to guy one and ask for a deposit, noting otherwise you're selling to guy 2.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I've had 3 people no-show on me with agreed times, within the last week, trying to sell on kijiji. I don't care how interested you are, first one with cash is king.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Since buyer #1 hasn't seen the car in person yet, I would sell to buyer #2. Too much risk that buyer #1 will come and see the car and decide to pass on the deal.

I have different rules for selling cars on kijiji vs any other item on other websites. First person with the cash ready to take the item gets it. I don't hold things and do favors. Been burned too many times and left with the item after turning down potential buyers.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Second guy for sure. Even then, his word doesn't mean shit. He hasn't seen the vehicle either and until cash is in your hands, neither of their words mean shit.

Buyer 1 can take a hike.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    With Kijiji, you take the deal that results with you walking away with cash first. There's way too many flaky people on there.

There's no guarantee the first guy is going to take it so you could potentially have two deals fall through if you don't act.

If the first guy wanted it bad enough, he'd make time or he'd have someone give you a deposit.
    This. Too many Kijiji people flake out to hold it on their word.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

First person with money is the first person that gets it. Because lessons learned.

----

Here's how it would likely play out in your situation when trying to be nice on Kijiji:

The first guy finally gets to check out the car. Maybe puts down a deposit but wants to get it inspected.

Back from inspection, they think something needs to be fixed and you should drop the price. You bicker back and forth for awhile, refusing to lower the price because someone else has already offered you higher. The first guy walks away from the sale.

You text guy two and say it's still for sale. Either they're no longer interested because they've waited so long or begin to wonder why guy one didn't take it. Guy two walks away from the sale.

In the end, you're left standing with your dick in your hand.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V167

I'll bet guy #1 flakes or passes. Sell to #2 and be done with it.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I wouldn't bother with deposit. Give the first guy a day to buy. Then move on to the next offer.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Too many flakes on Kijiji. First person with cash wins. It's a shitty situation since it's your schedule that's the problem, so sucks for the first guy, but if he really wanted it, he could come see it on your schedule. leave work early, work late another day type of deal. Something if he really wanted it. I know that if I find shit I want on Kijiji, i jump on it right away and go and get it, mainly of fear it will sell to someone else if I don't, if he doesn't have similar motivation, he doesn't really care and isn't sure, vs a sure bet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast