Quantcast
Trade: a6000 for rx100 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Trade: a6000 for rx100

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Trade: a6000 for rx100

Hey so I picked up a a6000 thinking it would be a good travel camera but it is a little to big for what I want. Basically may as well bring the dslr. Would it be a reasonable trade to try and find a rx100 m? in hopes of trading. Not sure what the best way to go about it is. Also I should mention that I've been happy with the a6000 in basically every way. How does the rx100 stack up?
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-31-2017 at 11:14 PM.

This is the problem with large sensor mirrorless is that a lot of people still find them too large because you can't beat physics. Probably too much hassle to find a trade, I would just sell one and buy the other. If you did find a trade, expect to get the RX100 M1 or M2 in return, which are getting pretty old now.

All versions of the RX100 are still sold (1 through 5). Buy the best one you can afford, basically. The biggest differences were made on versions 2, 3, and 5. 3 and 4 are the sweet spots if you can buy in there. 5 got a massive performance boost but is outrageously expensive ($1250 CAD). Unfortunately the exchange rate completely screwed us and they are all overpriced. The only real competition they had (Nikon DL) got canceled so they have been able to maintain their prices.

They all use 1" sensors which are considerably smaller than the APS-C sized sensor in the Sony a6000:

As for how they compare, other than the obvious size difference, you will have much better autofocus in the A6000 unless you go with the RX100 5. Image quality is better from the A6000. The lens has a better aperture range on the RX100's assuming you just have the kit lens for the A6000. Shot-to-shot and continuous shooting performance is better on the A6000, save for perhaps the RX100 5.

They are very different cameras, you are basically trading most things down but gaining much better portability.

Here's a great looking M3 for $550 (they are $880 new). The M3 is the first year they introduced the pop up viewfinder which was a big deal:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...ationFlag=true

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Would a first gen X100 be a comparable alternative to the RX100?

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would a first gen X100 be a comparable alternative to the RX100?
    They are very different cameras but both serve as decent carry-everywhere cameras. The Fuji is a fixed focal length (35mm equivalent) APS-C camera with a fast F2 lens, the RX-100 Mk1 is a 1" sensor with a slow-ish travel zoom. RX100 Mk3 gains a way better lens compared to previous RX100's (24-70 F1.8-2.8) and pop up viewfinder which remains a class exclusive.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm having a hard time thinking the rx100 would suit me better despite the smaller size. The a6000 takes some great pictures.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Maybe the Canon M6 or the new Canon M100 is more what you're looking for.
    Don't expect much though, and that's coming from an owner of one of their Eos M3. Lens selection is abysmal, and the Sony cameras outperform it in every way.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

I have the Canon EOS-M5 and I have a love/hate relationship with that body. It's small, much smaller than my fullframe dslrs. It can use all my L lenses but then I lose the portability of why I have a mirrorless. There isn't a good quality selection of EOS M lenses. Canon makes beautiful L lenses, but they are really too interested in their mirrorless line. The fastest lens I have for it is the 22mm F2 pancake. There isn't really much options after that if you want a fast lens. I often resort to using my Sigma 1.4 ART and that's a beast of a lens on such a small body.

You're far better off keeping the A6000 from 2014 than any of Canon's recent mirrorless offerings - I wouldn't go down that road.

Your options are basically to keep what you have, or move to something with a smaller sensor which will in turn reduce body and lens size (and ergonomics and battery life). Since it's a travel camera, as soon as you start adding lenses, you still need a dedicated bag and you might as well just be carrying what you already have. Unless you drop down to a quality all-in-one solution like the RX100 series I wouldn't bother changing anything.

My Ride
    Silverado

Have any recommendations for a small camera bag that would fit a a6000 with kit lens well?

Something like a Lowepro APEX 100 would be good for that setup if you want a minimalist bag with room for small accessories as well.

Or something like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Ape-Case-Compa...ape+case+envoy

Or this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Case-Logic-DCB...ics+camera+bag
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-05-2017 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You're far better off keeping the A6000 from 2014 than any of Canon's recent mirrorless offerings - I wouldn't go down that road.
    100% agree, hindsight has me wishing I went with the Sony instead of just defaulting to Canon. OP just seemed interested in downsizing while keeping the APS-C form factor, and if memory served me correctly those two cameras(well the M5 anyways) were smaller than the A6000. Only lens of note(IMO) in the Canon EOS-M ecosystem is the 22mm pancake Waka spoke of, it's absolutely tiny and is almost flush with the built in grip.

As for cases, I just picked this up off Amazon, supposed to show up tomorrow so I'll throw up a quick review if I have time. I'll be sticking the body with a 22mm lens, and packing in a 18-55mm lens as well with some knicknacks and accessories.

My Ride
    Silverado

Any ideas on what a slightly used a6000 with the kit lens would be worth? $600?

Damn lenses are too expensive for me to justify the switch. I think I am going to get a D7500 or D7200. Whats a D90 worth? $300?

A few times a big buy sell site has been posted here. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-12-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Any ideas on what a slightly used a6000 with the kit lens would be worth? $600?

Damn lenses are too expensive for me to justify the switch. I think I am going to get a D7500 or D7200. Whats a D90 worth? $300?

A few times a big buy sell site has been posted here. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    The A6000 and a 2 lens kit was $699 brand new 2 years ago, but the exchange rate has moved in your favor. Recent eBay completed sales listings range from $400-$600. $300 USD is the going rate on Fred Miranda with kit lens. First I would try the Facebook group for Calgary photography sales, people LOVE paying hilarious amounts for overpriced gear on there.

D7500 is excellent value right now if you don't need a D500, and especially if you shoot any action. D7200 isn't discounted enough yet IMO.

D90's with lens are selling for around $200 USD or basically the price of the lens. Without lens, under $200. It's so old now I wouldn't expect to get much for it, the new cameras aren't that expensive and so much has changed. Recent eBay completed listings are $200-$300 CAD. Toss it up on the Facebook group, you might get $400

Fred Miranda is probably the site you're thinking of. Try that (you need a membership to sell), Kijiji, and the Facebook camera group. Don't bother with eBay, the fees are so high it's not even worth it. You can toss it up on Beyond too but there just aren't that many people shopping for that stuff on here I don't think.

My Ride
    Silverado

I am mostly leaning to the D7500 so I can use the AF-P 10-20. Seems like a great lens for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I am mostly leaning to the D7500 so I can use the AF-P 10-20. Seems like a great lens for the price.
    Indeed, it brings the ultra-wide DX into an extremely affordable price point.

The D7200 is partially compatible with it, but it's not ideal. There is no way to control VR (done through the menu on newer cameras with the AF-P lenses) and focus can be annoying, having to be reset. The D7500 is the better camera in most ways anyways unless you absolutely require a very specific feature.

Sigma also makes a 10-20/3.5 for $550, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 is $800, and Tamron's new 10-24 VC HLD is $800 also.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.