Quantcast
Telus Throttling - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telus Throttling

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Default Telus Throttling

Specifically for torrenting; has anyone notice any throttling on Telus?

I recently just switched to telus 150; and I started torrenting pretty heavy. My download speeds for torrents are fast, like 3-4 mb/s on some torrents. As i am apart of a private website, i need to keep my upload limits up, with that in mind i just leave my computer on with like 10 torrents seeding. Coming home after work i notice my internet speeds drop to unusable speeds of like 1-10mb/s. Shutting off the torrents the speeds will pick back up after like 10 minutes.

Anyone else experience this? Any way i can get around this? i read something about VPN's would that work for this?

Thanks all

Do you live in a Condo downtown ish? Have the 5G wifi thing?

I had issues with Telus till they installed the 5G wireless. Haven't had issues with my private torrent site since.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you live in a Condo downtown ish? Have the 5G wifi thing?

I had issues with Telus till they installed the 5G wireless. Haven't had issues with my private torrent site since.
    Nope, I live up in Nolan Hill. I actually just had the telus service guy come and look at everything and he installed a new dual band router for me. At the time i didn't think they were throttling so i had a service guy come out. He actually fixed some of the wires in my house as he said the original telus guys crossed some cables wrong. It was okay when i had 25mbs internet, but its not when i am up to 150. I was only getting speeds of 90-100; after he fixed those wires i am pulling in 160-180 mbs up and down. After the guy left, i turned my torrents back on, and later that night i noticed my speeds drop back down to 3-4mbs. After i shut my torrents off it went back up.

What is there in TELUS' terms of service with respect to torrential? Is there anything?
    Will fuck off, again.

Not really a throttling issue, but I noticed that I never reach anywhere near 150Mbps for uploading, regardless of uploading to Google Drive, Amazon, YouTube, Vimeo, or even FTP. The fastest I've got was 20Mbps. Speedtest shows that my connection can definitely reach 150, though. Has anyone else done any real-world testing?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Check to see if QOS is enabled on the router.

My Ride
    Busa

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroxantu Zero View Post
    Not really a throttling issue, but I noticed that I never reach anywhere near 150Mbps for uploading, regardless of uploading to Google Drive, Amazon, YouTube, Vimeo, or even FTP. The fastest I've got was 20Mbps. Speedtest shows that my connection can definitely reach 150, though. Has anyone else done any real-world testing?
    I routinely hit 150 mbps upload every night to a few data centres. Anyway, most of the services you listed are likely throttled on a per-connection basis to mitigate potential DDoS attacks. The best way to test your upload is with a utility like iperf3 between two endpoints that you know have sufficient bandwidth.

Slow upload on torrents could indicate that UPnP is not working properly and the firewall ports are closed. If encryption is enabled there's no easy way to throttle torrents, at least not without throttling all traffic.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Contact ISP TECH support. Ask them specifically this question. Otherwise, you are left to test the answer on your own using a VPN.

Move away from any ISP product for data handling. They are lowest cost pieces of shit that routinely shit the bed. Get something like a ubiquity Edge router and tell that Telus box to bridge data only.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude_dude View Post

I recently just switched to telus 150; and I started torrenting pretty heavy. My download speeds for torrents are fast, like 3-4 mb/s on some torrents. As i am apart of a private website, i need to keep my upload limits up, with that in mind i just leave my computer on with like 10 torrents seeding. Coming home after work i notice my internet speeds drop to unusable speeds of like 1-10mb/s. Shutting off the torrents the speeds will pick back up after like 10 minutes.

Anyone else experience this? Any way i can get around this? i read something about VPN's would that work for this?

Thanks all
    You need a better router or learn to manage the torrents upload speeds. Your upload speed can saturate your download speeds and if you have done this stopping them will fix this.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Thanks all
    Well, get a VPN where torrent is allow (PIA) and see if there is any difference?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Sounds exactly like your upload is saturated and causing problems. People commonly leave their upload uncapped or too high and it slows down their downloads (and even regular browsing)

Turn everything off, go to speedtest.net and do a few tests. Figure out your max upload speed and limit your total (not each individual torrent) to like ~60% of that speed. (Don't mix up the bits/bytes conversion).

My Ride
    is broken

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Sounds exactly like your upload is saturated and causing problems. People commonly leave their upload uncapped or too high and it slows down their downloads (and even regular browsing)

Turn everything off, go to speedtest.net and do a few tests. Figure out your max upload speed and limit your total (not each individual torrent) to like ~60% of that speed. (Don't mix up the bits/bytes conversion).
    Or be a real pirate and dont share!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Or be a real pirate and dont share!
    Unfortunately on private trackers this isn't an option lol.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    What is there in TELUS' terms of service with respect to torrential? Is there anything?
    Makes sense to check there lol... but yea its pretty cut and dry:

10. The Services offer a variety of access speeds and service plans. All services are subject to the availability of suitable equipment and facilities and consequently all services are not available at all locations. Also, to ensure fair network access to all users, TELUS may manage network resources using methods including, but not limited to:

allocation of bandwidth, which may limit the availability or speed of service;
    filtering for spam and malicious content, which may occasionally result in unintended blocking of inoffensive content; and
    restricting the network access available to specific transmission protocols.

pheoxs

Left the torrents off for a few days; i haven't run into any internet issues lately. So I'm pretty positive this was my problem. I am going to try this limiting thing and see if it helps. In terms of speedtest, i'm easily clearing 150. I typically get over 170 in downloads and uploads according to speedtest. I'm so surprised that uploads can saturate it that much; either that or they are throttling me lol.

Any recommendations on on VPNs?
    Last edited by Prelude_dude; 09-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

It's completely normal the upload thing. You only have so much bandwidth and if you saturate that with uploading you have none left for downloads.

My Ride
    Sentra

Seeding many torrents should not slow down your internet if you are on Telus Fibre 150. My friend...has thousands of torrents seeding 24/7 and it doesn't cause issues. Make sure you enforce encryption in your torrent app. Here is a typical week. https://puu.sh/xujFE/fb8cbf7846.png

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    It's completely normal the upload thing. You only have so much bandwidth and if you saturate that with uploading you have none left for downloads.
    Pretty simple really.

You can only download something if you can get the message to a server saying you want to download. When you saturate the upload pipe, you can't request content.

My Ride
    2009 Acura TSX tech

Quote Originally Posted by GoChris View Post
    Seeding many torrents should not slow down your internet if you are on Telus Fibre 150. My friend...has thousands of torrents seeding 24/7 and it doesn't cause issues. Make sure you enforce encryption in your torrent app. Here is a typical week. https://puu.sh/xujFE/fb8cbf7846.png
    Hrmm interesting, I have never heard of that. I am just using the Bit Torrent application; sorry I'm pretty noob with this stuff, how do i "enforce encryption"?

TIA

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Hrmm interesting, I have never heard of that. I am just using the Bit Torrent application; sorry I'm pretty noob with this stuff, how do i "enforce encryption"?

TIA
    Well first off you should be using utorrent 2.2 as eveything else sucks. Then use google to figure out the best network settings and enable encryption.

This is mine.Name:  tor.PNG
Views: 395
Size:  18.0 KB

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

one telus 150 i would get up to 180 using telus calgary speedtest- but now all i get is up to 50

no torrenting. I could understand if the year was 1999 and we had ADSL or CADDVision.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast