Quantcast
Hot tub base/footing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot tub base/footing

Default Hot tub base/footing

Looking to put in a 4-5 person hot tub in my backyard and wondering what my options are for bases. The spot I'd like to put it currently has nice patio bricks that seem pretty level and solid, I'd rather not pour a cement pad if possible so I'm looking for other options.

On kijiji western pool and spa advertises "spa pads". I'm not 100% sure what these are even made of but was thinking I could put these on top of the patio stones?

Are these a decent option or am I being stupid trying to avoid pouring a pad?

My Ride
    ‘19 McLaren 720s, '15 Range Rover ALWB

Tamped Crushed gravel and concrete paving blocks is totally fine. Especially with a hot tub that size . A poured pad is overkill.

Skip the pad. Like NewLextasy said packed gravel and paving blocks. I've done it twice now and never had an issue.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

4x4 perimeter filled with gavel... that's what I did, took about an hour... it's been dead level for about 3 years now

It's also what paradise bay recommended

We used a home-made pallet out of 4X4 pressure treated wood for our 8 person tub which was also on patio bricks. Super easy to make, cheap, and worked perfectly for many years. No need to go nuts with concrete.

They look like this, or similar (you can configure the supports however you want):

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Glad I'm not out to lunch thinking I can do this without pouring a pad

Mitsu, I'm definitely thinking something like that so I can put it over the patio stones. I'd like the option to move the tub with me when we buy a bigger house in the next 2-3 years and not have to do a bunch of reclaimation work.

Going to see this weekend how level the patio stones actually are

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Glad I'm not out to lunch thinking I can do this without pouring a pad

Mitsu, I'm definitely thinking something like that so I can put it over the patio stones. I'd like the option to move the tub with me when we buy a bigger house in the next 2-3 years and not have to do a bunch of reclaimation work.

Going to see this weekend how level the patio stones actually are
    Yeah it works great for that. We sold our tub, and all we had to do was sweep up under the base, terminate the wiring and put it back under the bricks, and you would never know we had a hot tub there for ~10 years.

My Ride
    14' 435i

fyi, hottubs require an electrical permit and a "building" permit..

Just jumped through hoops to get mine all done because I had AC installed and city inspector saw the hottub.

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for the gravel+patio stones. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    fyi, hottubs require an electrical permit and a "building" permit..

Just jumped through hoops to get mine all done because I had AC installed and city inspector saw the hottub.
    Good reminder as I am lucky enough to have two electrician neighbors and both have offered to wire it up for me for next to nothing so I'll have to get in the permitting side of things.

Edit: actually gonsho, what kind of things do they look for on the building side? Hard to know exact dimensions before I buy but I can probably get pretty close. Would like to get the permit looked at before I buy so I know im not going to run into any problems
    Last edited by J-hop; 09-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

If you have it on a deck (that is, a raised surface that has joists, footings, etc), that structure must be able to support the weight of the hot tub + water + people.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    If you have it on a deck (that is, a raised surface that has joists, footings, etc), that structure must be able to support the weight of the hot tub + water + people.
    Yea that's what makes me want to put it on our patio bricks instead of our deck. I took at look at our neighbors and they had to reinforce the hell out of their deck. 4 people =6-800lbs, tub dry =600 (?) lbs 500 gallons = 4150 so yea looking at something that needs to support around 5500 pounds.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Electrical side of things is the most annoying part..

- has to be 3M away from electrical meter
    - has to be at least 5M from overhanging power lines (which i have)
    - Proper wiring to spa buddy then to panel (with all proper bends)

The Inspector was even trying to tell me that my OUTDOOR INDECK lighting was not permitted, even though they are meant to be outside, waterproof and have their own safety fault block. Guy was an idiot, wasted so much of my time.

Building side,

If its on a deck, it has to be able to hold the weight of the tub, water and suggested people, if the inspector doesnt think it will, they will require an engineering report (your dime)... has to be over a certain distance AWAY from the property line (2M if i remember correctly)

Each permit is in the neighbourhood of $120-150/ea
    Last edited by GOnSHO; 09-05-2017 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Building side, if its on a deck, it has to be able to hold the weight of the tub, water and suggested people, if the inspector doesnt think it will, they will require an engineering report (your dime)... has to be over a certain distance AWAY from the property line (2M if i remember correctly)

Putting it on the deck is often not worth it. My parents decided to, because my dad was very particular about the location, and they used a bunch of engineered steel underneath it. Obviously costly.

Also, when I put mine in, I just used it as an excuse to trench in the power to get rid of my o/h line. A little more costly, but greatly improved the aesthetics of the back yard. Dug the trench myself to save a few pennies.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Putting it on the deck is often not worth it. My parents decided to, because my dad was very particular about the location, and they used a bunch of engineered steel underneath it. Obviously costly.

Also, when I put mine in, I just used it as an excuse to trench in the power to get rid of my o/h line. A little more costly, but greatly improved the aesthetics of the back yard. Dug the trench myself to save a few pennies.
    I wouldve done that, but my back yard is about 4' above grade in the alley (i have a retaining wall), so it wouldve been digging 6-8' to trench it.

The Inspector was even trying to tell me that my OUTDOOR INDECK lighting was not permitted, even though they are meant to be outside, waterproof and have their own safety fault block. Guy was an idiot, wasted so much of my time.

Building side,

If its on a deck, it has to be able to hold the weight of the tub, water and suggested people, if the inspector doesnt think it will, they will require an engineering report (your dime)... has to be over a certain distance AWAY from the property line (2M if i remember correctly)

Thanks, yea I'm lucky most of that will be ok, I'll have to measure from the property line as I think 2m would put it in a slightly less ideal spot, I was going to put it in line with my house which is just over a meter from the fence. I'll see if I can pull the application and check that before I get too mentally invested.

Here's hoping the previous owners did all of their additions to code. I could be opening a can of worms getting an inspector in haha

My Ride
    14' 435i

Good luck man!

I opened can of worms..

Had to move my tub OFF my deck away from my meter and OH lines(was over 10 feet away).. so now i have it INDECK instead of ontop.. but not an ideal placement.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    What was the process for that, and how much did it cost? Ive been thinking of doing the same.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    What was the process for that, and how much did it cost? Ive been thinking of doing the same.
    My family runs a home building company and one of their electrical contractors gave me a bit of a break on the price. I think I paid around $1k all in for rerouting from o/h to a sub panel they installed in my detached garage, wiring the spa buddy to that, and also wiring the main feed from the subpanel in the garage through the trench to the house. I'd expect it'd be more than that if I didn't get a break, but who knows. Sorry, but probably not much help to you haha.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So Enmax wasn't involved at all then? I thought maybe they would have to do it. You just had it all installed and set up and inspected, then coordinated with them for the swap at the very end?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast