Quantcast
Do you look at all vehicles? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you look at all vehicles?

Default Do you look at all vehicles?

So while I am out driving, whether mobile or stopped, I happen to look at other vehicles, mobile or parked, if safe to do so. It doesn't matter what type of vehicle it is, rusted old 80's Dodge pickup or fancy schmancy new Jaguar, I just enjoy looking at other vehicles to see who is driving it, what they're paying attention to, how they've modified their vehicle, etc, etc.

What I have found is it appears to me that the majority of drivers are pretty much oblivious to the vehicles around them - my wife would be a great example of this and she is probably better than most of looking at vehicles around her. Now I'm not talking about looking to the point of actually distracting yourself from your own driving duties but I find there is generally enough time to get a good look at many of the vehicles I pass by.

The reason I say people are oblivious is that I can see a really "wow" vehicle near me and most drivers will be just staring straight ahead or paying attention to their phone, Case in point, I added a hood ornament to my old GMC Sierra a little while back as a bit of a gag - the first one was magnetically attached and was a small rubbery white rooster, yupp, my wife and I had a few guffaws about my little whiter cock. But it became apparent to me that most people just were so self absorbed or in la la land that they never notice other vehicles so I went in search of a new hood ornament and found Odie (from Garfield) - he's furry and about 6 inches tall and will still stay magnetically stuck to my truck's hood up to 145kph. I haven't taken Odie faster although he does start bending back a bit at highway speeds and mostly because I have to treat my 508,000+km girl nicely.

Odie does get a few more looks, some kids point and chuckle, some people do the same and thumbs up from other people with home made hood ornaments and such. But still I can easily say that most drivers are still oblivious or in la la land - they probably wouldn't even notice a gorgeous red sports car next to them in a sea of black/white/grey/silver/tan vehicles and many of them don't. One of my kids is quite guilty of this but amazingly, my daughter sees a lot around her - she even spotted a Fiat X1/9 the same time as me earlier this summer just north of the Rona on Edmonton Trail which we had to stop and take a look at because it is such a rare vehicle to see and it is so tiny. My wife will spot really sporty cars but outside of that everything is indifferent to her.

Now I can't say it's being a car person thing because my daughter certainly isn't and my wife isn't either but I just can not understand being so aloof to vehicles around one's self in their daily travels. Even my MIL notices other vehicles but the vast majority of drivers are just in stun mode as best as I can describe it.

So what do you do and what are your observations of others around you - your passengers, other drivers? Do they look at other vehicles or not?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

While driving I look at every vehicle to determine if they're a cop or not. In front, in my mirrors, on ramps, on the side of the road, nearby, in the distance. I don't have a radar detector, the best way to avoid tickets is to open your damn eyes.

But because of this habit I'm also first to notice cool cars.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While driving I look at every vehicle to determine if they're a cop or not. In front, in my mirrors, on ramps, on the side of the road, nearby, in the distance. I don't have a radar detector, the best way to avoid tickets is to open your damn eyes.

I do this as well. Formed this habit when I rode motorcycles and sped pretty much everywhere.

I always notice and talk about cars, and my wife not only puts up with it, but is starting to notice cars too haha.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    I purposely avoid looking at certain vehicles, especially ones that have stupid little toys stuck on them.

Reason being is they are clearly attention whoring, so I don't want to give them the satisfaction and also, they could be mentally unstable.
    Heh, I've been unstable for decades - this ain't new news to me! You'd be one of those people who is making darting eye movements, looking but not wanting to be seen as looking, you've noticed but don't want to seen as noticing - they're the most amusing people. So cool yet so obvious.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:42 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Its interesting as when I drive I notice a lot of people don't really pay attention to minor hazards or traffic flow. I notice people don't actually maintain their distance. I guess this is a subconscious thing.
    For example when I drive on a highway and I see the third car ahead brake, I either take my foot off the gas or shift down. The 1st and 2nd car in front will wait till they get right behind the 3rd vehicle and brake. Now the braking distance has been eliminated. So when the 3rd car ahead brakes again, the 1st car is usually rear ends or its the car in my position (0). Ive had multiple scenarios where I have nearly been rear ended, Ive avoided it because I have been the one maintaining a braking distance.
    Im always looking three car lengths ahead and reading the road. Next time your on a highway, just observe the amount of people that will catch up to a car in front and THEN brake.

Another hazard is when driving on a highway and merging traffic from a slip road. I have noticed colleagues who are completely oblivious to another car merging onto the highway and do not adjust their gear, speed or even change lanes.

On other cars I do like to see how they are using them and why perhaps they have them? Do they drive a cheap Toyota Matrix and carry a bike/roof rack? Especially when im going hiking. What kind of person is it? I walked down China town yesterday, 99% of the vehicles were Japanese.

When I used to work at a bank, I looked at clients cars. I noticed a lot of 'proper' wealthy people had old cars. A lot of broke or financially vulnerable people had the BMW's, pimped out cars, big lifted trucks or jeeps or had big car payments on vehicles they should not be paying for. That was a interesting insight as I always wondered how people afford the stuff whilst I such a broke ass. Then I realised im not in a bad place financially after all. Whats what I find interesting is how people are managing their finances and the car. Another example being is that I work with people who have really nice SUV's and make monthly payments, but they rent a home with their family and are broke all the time. So i guess when I look at other drivers and vehicles, I do sometimes wonder what lifestyle they have compared to my peasant one.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Its interesting as when I drive I notice a lot of people don't really pay attention to minor hazards or traffic flow. I notice people don't actually maintain their distance. I guess this is a subconscious thing.
    For example when I drive on a highway and I see the third car ahead brake, I either take my foot off the gas or shift down. The 1st and 2nd car in front will wait till they get right behind the 3rd vehicle and brake. Now the braking distance has been eliminated. So when the 3rd car ahead brakes again, the 1st car is usually rear ends or its the car in my position (0). Ive had multiple scenarios where I have nearly been rear ended, Ive avoided it because I have been the one maintaining a braking distance.
    Im always looking three car lengths ahead and reading the road. Next time your on a highway, just observe the amount of people that will catch up to a car in front and THEN brake.

Another hazard is when driving on a highway and merging traffic from a slip road. I have noticed colleagues who are completely oblivious to another car merging onto the highway and do not adjust their gear, speed or even change lanes.

On other cars I do like to see how they are using them and why perhaps they have them? Do they drive a cheap Toyota Matrix and carry a bike/roof rack? Especially when im going hiking. What kind of person is it? I walked down China town yesterday, 99% of the vehicles were Japanese.

When I used to work at a bank, I looked at clients cars. I noticed a lot of 'proper' wealthy people had old cars. A lot of broke or financially vulnerable people had the BMW's, pimped out cars, big lifted trucks or jeeps or had big car payments on vehicles they should not be paying for. That was a interesting insight as I always wondered how people afford the stuff whilst I such a broke ass. Then I realised im not in a bad place financially after all. Whats what I find interesting is how people are managing their finances and the car. Another example being is that I work with people who have really nice SUV's and make monthly payments, but they rent a home with their family and are broke all the time. So i guess when I look at other drivers and vehicles, I do sometimes wonder what lifestyle they have compared to my peasant one.
    To be fair some people live at home because they're expected to and if they're young, they just CHOOSE to spend all their $$ o n their car.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    To be fair some people live at home because they're expected to and if they're young, they just CHOOSE to spend all their $$ o n their car.
    I totally hear ya. I get that, particularity in the east Indian community. This is probably a discussion for another thread. There are huge social economic benefits to doing that. i.le Mum and dad get looked after, the whole house works as a family unit.
    Then then are are downsides to that. There is the frustrated mummies boy syndrome with lack of life skills developed. Same applies to the girls with the development of daddy issues. I know of lots of these that have the nicest cars , its great but mummies boy gota do what mum says and go to the Gurwara on Sundays and attend any other Chappal (sandal) and chaa (Tea)convention.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I totally hear ya. I get that, particularity in the east Indian community. This is probably a discussion for another thread. There are huge social economic benefits to doing that. i.le Mum and dad get looked after, the whole house works as a family unit.
    Then then are are downsides to that. There is the frustrated mummies boy syndrome with lack of life skills developed. Same applies to the girls with the development of daddy issues. I know of lots of these that have the nicest cars , its great but mummies boy gota do what mum says and go to the Gurwara on Sundays and attend any other Chappal (sandal) and chaa (Tea)convention.
    The ignorance is strong in this one, even though I can agree to some of the things said lol.

Focusing in on something is always a bad thing when you're driving. i don't think people not noticing a sports car or hood ornament necessarily means they are in la la land. To 99% of the drivers out there a car is just a tool, so they don't get distracted by unique vehicles. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Focusing in on something is always a bad thing when you're driving. i don't think people not noticing a sports car or hood ornament necessarily means they are in la la land. To 99% of the drivers out there a car is just a tool, so they don't get distracted by unique vehicles. Just my opinion though.
    My first sentence was "So while I am out driving, whether mobile or stopped, I happen to look at other vehicles, mobile or parked, if safe to do so." Just look at drivers around you and I'll bet most have just tunnel vision on what's right ahead of them - they don't look to the sides or even glance, or far out forward or to the rear. It's like a lot of them are just in a trance.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    SpecB

^^^as someone already mentioned our driving awareness is conditioned here to look for photo radar (or quickly learn to). The near-constant camera flash from these trucks is indication of people's attention while driving of everyone else that hasn't learned yet (with exception to some of the sneaky ones mentioned already in other threads - but if you're lucky you can spot people up ahead that already know about it and begin to brake.. which I guess is the point of this thread)

When I lived in the NW I used to count all the people during the commute for work in the morning that would look at their cell phone at the crowchild & 24th ave stop. (hint, it's all of them. all the time. every work day)

slightly off-topic: If I'm the passenger on a highway trip, I like seeing how many people look over if we're passing them (or if they're passing us).
    ... The driver being passed has a terrified expression way too often.
    Signatures are dumb..

Quote Originally Posted by Gart View Post
    ^^^as someone already mentioned our driving awareness is conditioned here to look for photo radar (or quickly learn to). The near-constant camera flash from these trucks is indication of people's attention while driving of everyone else that hasn't learned yet (with exception to some of the sneaky ones mentioned already in other threads - but if you're lucky you can spot people up ahead that already know about it and begin to brake.. which I guess is the point of this thread)

When I lived in the NW I used to count all the people during the commute for work in the morning that would look at their cell phone at the crowchild & 24th ave stop. (hint, it's all of them. all the time. every work day)

slightly off-topic: If I'm the passenger on a highway trip, I like seeing how many people look over if we're passing them (or if they're passing us).
    ... The driver being passed has a terrified expression way too often.
    My intent for this thread had nothing to do with looking out for police car or photo radar traps but it appears the thread has already moved in that direction. Oh well.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    NC1

If it's something cool, sure. Otherwise I don't really care. I mean I pay attention to see how they are driving more than what vehicle it is.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post

I do this as well. Seems like Ford Explorer, F150 and Taurus get my attention the most. Thank god that nobody buys Taurus any more, so it's pretty good as the new Crown Vic.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    My intent for this thread had nothing to do with looking out for police car or photo radar traps but it appears the thread has already moved in that direction. Oh well.
    Well my point isn't so much that I'm always looking for cops but that I'm always looking. Seems most people are fixated on the bumper of the car in front of them and that's it.

The easiest way to improve a shit driver is to get them to use their eyeballs (and brain) more effectively.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I too started analyzing cars around me from the original abcars and beyond cruise days always scoping for cops. Became pretty damn good at spotting them.

I think this is a great thread because it's very true, 95% of people on the road are either staring at their phone, or the bumper of the car in front of them, completely zoned out and oblivious to things around them. I pulled up next to a friends wife at a stop light, honked and honked and waved, and she didnt even notice. Just a 1000 yard stare into the bumper in front of them.

Another time A lifted Dodge Diesel had a fire in his truck bed due to a leaking slip tank. God damn flames were coming 10 feet off the back and smoking like a bastard. Cruising down the QEII. Even with lights and sirens on beside his truck he just motored on with the typical Left hand on the top of the steering wheel flexing his sleeve tats, texting on his phone as if we cant tell because his trucks so high, oblivious to the noise and hadn't once looked in his mirrors where he would have seen this. Had to pull in front of him to get his attention. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have to be extremely hyper vigilant in my line of work, to the point of its hard to shut off for the first day or two off and even then it's still way above where it should be to properly relax, so I'm constantly scanning mirrors, whats going on ahead, oncoming traffic, what people are doing in the immediate vehicles around me. And other than the few times I've been able to skirt out from being rear ended by the guy behind me not paying attention or not entering an intersection when the light turns green because I saw a guy obviously not stopping for his now red light that ended up hitting the guy who took off from the light the moment it turned green the only things I have really noticed are this and this isnt because of work:

People pick their noses. A LOT.

People pick their teeth. A LOT.

There are A LOT of really shitty kids out there out of fucking control in the backs of vehicles.

Some folks need to seriously wash their wheels a lot more, brake dust on some peoples rims are insane.

Some folks need to just wash their cars period.

I am uncomfortable with the large amount of people that drive with headphones in. Not just buds but full on noise cancelling Beats and Bose. If I have to explain why this is insane then you might as well just end yourself.

I cant believe how many cultures have the woman (Wife?) riding in the back seat alone and an empty front passenger seat.

People have way too much shit on their dash and rear deck of cars that become projectiles in collisions. Snow brushes are wicked awesome at maiming your face and neck when they go from 100 to zero.

Some folks look EXTREMELY stressed out while driving.

There are a LOT of people that sit WAYYYY too close to the steering wheel. When you are driving with your hands and elbows on the steering wheel, you're way too close.

Maybe we're a rare anomaly but I have been driving for a long time comparatively, and I still pay great attention to whats going on around me simply because I DONT TRUST THE OTHER DRIVERS ON THE ROAD lol.
    Travel

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Your intent for this thread is just like most others of your threads/ posts. That is, "I'm an old fart so please forgive me".

So, STFU with your crying. Your whole persona is just "make sure you vote!!!!".

Except, you walked away when I and other members questioned you on how archaic such a notion is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    Your intent for this thread is just like most others of your threads/ posts. That is, "I'm an old fart so please forgive me".

So, STFU with your crying. Your whole persona is just "make sure you vote!!!!".

Except, you walked away when I and other members questioned you on how archaic such a notion is.
    Yeah, okay. Not really sure how you came to your way out there conclusions but you go with that if it makes you feel good.

And voting, well we probably wouldn't behave a certain party in a majority position in Alberta if more people just hadn't been a bit less apathetic.

Back on topic, I kind of like Ben's post. Actually I really like it, not being clued out is probably a good thing when driving one's vehicle and noticing other vehicles is probably a good thing. An aware driver will spot that impaired driver and call the police, clued out drivers just won't. But Ben is not really doing what he says he does because of his profession which you are quite negative about.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast