Quantcast
Hot tub base/footing - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot tub base/footing

My Ride
    V8s

It was a few years back, so I don't remember everything 100%, but that sounds about right. There was super minimal involvement by enmax, I only recall letting the lady into my basement and she checked/put a new wire seal thing on the power meter. FWIW Endure is the company I used, I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd tell you whats up. Don't trust a shmuck like me with a bad memory. haha

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Electrical side of things is the most annoying part..

- has to be 3M away from electrical meter
    - has to be at least 5M from overhanging power lines (which i have)
    - Proper wiring to spa buddy then to panel (with all proper bends)

The Inspector was even trying to tell me that my OUTDOOR INDECK lighting was not permitted, even though they are meant to be outside, waterproof and have their own safety fault block. Guy was an idiot, wasted so much of my time.

Building side,

If its on a deck, it has to be able to hold the weight of the tub, water and suggested people, if the inspector doesnt think it will, they will require an engineering report (your dime)... has to be over a certain distance AWAY from the property line (2M if i remember correctly)

Each permit is in the neighbourhood of $120-150/ea
    Luckily looks like it's 1.2m to the property line which puts it pretty much where I want it.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ing-pools.aspx

Edit: found the real property report from my purchase and looks like the house is 1.22m from the property so I can put it exactly where I want it

One thing it notes is if you put it on a Structure that elevates the floor above grade it requires engineer sign off. I'm guessing the 4x4 base would require engineering sign off?
    Last edited by J-hop; 09-06-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Damn I'll see if I can find the electrician that did mine, he does a ton of them and he's well known and trusted by the city inspectors.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Luckily looks like it's 1.2m to the property line which puts it pretty much where I want it.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ing-pools.aspx

Edit: found the real property report from my purchase and looks like the house is 1.22m from the property so I can put it exactly where I want it

One thing it notes is if you put it on a Structure that elevates the floor above grade it requires engineer sign off. I'm guessing the 4x4 base would require engineering sign off?
    I wouldnt worry too much about that, if you are, dig out the 4-6" at the bottom and counter sink the 4x4 structure. They really are only worried about "decks" really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    It was a few years back, so I don't remember everything 100%, but that sounds about right. There was super minimal involvement by enmax, I only recall letting the lady into my basement and she checked/put a new wire seal thing on the power meter. FWIW Endure is the company I used, I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd tell you whats up. Don't trust a shmuck like me with a bad memory. haha
    Enmax needs to come out and disconnect the mainline.. you do the work and then they have to come out again to reconnect and approve the move. something like almost 200/ea time they come out (~$400)...

I wouldnt worry too much about that, if you are, dig out the 4-6" at the bottom and counter sink the 4x4 structure. They really are only worried about "decks" really.
    Yea from the wording I get the same impression. I might call the city number just to be sure though!

Next thing on my list is to look at where to put the electrical line through, did you have to drill out the cement foundation to put a line through or did you find somewhere clever to run it?
    Last edited by J-hop; 09-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Yea from the wording I get the same impression. I might call the city number just to be sure though!

Next thing on my list is to look at where to put the electrical line through, did you have to drill out the cement foundation to put a line through or did you find somewhere clever to run it?
    My electrician drilled a hole through the foundation, then filled with epoxy.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Electrical side of things is the most annoying part..

- has to be 3M away from electrical meter
    - has to be at least 5M from overhanging power lines (which i have)
    - Proper wiring to spa buddy then to panel (with all proper bends)

The Inspector was even trying to tell me that my OUTDOOR INDECK lighting was not permitted, even though they are meant to be outside, waterproof and have their own safety fault block. Guy was an idiot, wasted so much of my time.

My inspector was a real hardass on the 5m thing. Made me remove/block off a GFCI outdoor covered plug that was 3m away from the tub, and also made me put the outdoor light fixture on the side of my house (6 feet up the wall) on a GFCI breaker for some reason.

This is for a tub that had been in place for 15 years but got spotted while doing the inspection for my basement finishing work.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    My inspector was a real hardass on the 5m thing. Made me remove/block off a GFCI outdoor covered plug that was 3m away from the tub, and also made me put the outdoor light fixture on the side of my house (6 feet up the wall) on a GFCI breaker for some reason.

This is for a tub that had been in place for 15 years but got spotted while doing the inspection for my basement finishing work.
    Yea, mine was a complete tool

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Unless you changed the hottub circuit breaker location in the panel, he had no right to force you to change it. My inspector told me as much. He pointed out what was wrong with the hot tub wiring (wrong brand of circuit breaker for the panel), but said he couldn't technically ding me on it as he was only there to certify the work within the scope of the permit, which was the kitchen.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Unless you changed the hottub circuit breaker location in the panel, he had no right to force you to change it. My inspector told me as much. He pointed out what was wrong with the hot tub wiring (wrong brand of circuit breaker for the panel), but said he couldn't technically ding me on it as he was only there to certify the work within the scope of the permit, which was the kitchen.
    Nope, I didn't touch it. My inspector claimed that his inspection was in no way bound by the scope of the permit (which clearly defined only three rooms of the basement) and that he was completely at liberty to inspect anything and everything he felt like. When I mentioned that the CoC permit office had said that only the areas on the permit were being inspected, he claimed the permit office was generally incompetent and didn't understand his job. He made me add a previously-developed bedroom, the hot tub, and the detached garage to the electrical permit before he would sign off on anything, and mandated changes in all three areas. If I didn't agree to add them to the permit, he threatened to cut off power to my garage until such time as it was added to the permit.

To his credit, some of the changes he required did make sense, but others seemed pretty ridiculous and pointless.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Fuck, what a dick. I've had 3 electrical inspectors for 3 different permit and none of them were that big of assholes. I suspect he's just a power-tripper and most of what he said was bullshit.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Nope, I didn't touch it. My inspector claimed that his inspection was in no way bound by the scope of the permit (which clearly defined only three rooms of the basement) and that he was completely at liberty to inspect anything and everything he felt like. When I mentioned that the CoC permit office had said that only the areas on the permit were being inspected, he claimed the permit office was generally incompetent and didn't understand his job. He made me add a previously-developed bedroom, the hot tub, and the detached garage to the electrical permit before he would sign off on anything, and mandated changes in all three areas. If I didn't agree to add them to the permit, he threatened to cut off power to my garage until such time as it was added to the permit.

To his credit, some of the changes he required did make sense, but others seemed pretty ridiculous and pointless.
    Was he can old guy?? ive heard the older guys tend to be more of hardasses and BY THE BOOK type guys who have seen to much BS to be nice...

my electrical guy was old but seemed incompetent as fuck... my building inspector was badass, younger guy, tattooed, said fuck the engineering report, looks fine, just get railings and ill pass the deck/hottub.. cool thanks! HAHA

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Fuck, what a dick. I've had 3 electrical inspectors for 3 different permit and none of them were that big of assholes. I suspect he's just a power-tripper and most of what he said was bullshit.
    Yeah, definitely seemed like a power trip. I assumed it was BS but I figured paying a few hundred bucks extra and changing some stuff was an easier path than trying to fight an inspector that could make my whole project hell - that happened to my folks with a plumbing inspector and I didn't want to deal with that level of horseshit.

Was he can old guy?? ive heard the older guys tend to be more of hardasses and BY THE BOOK type guys who have seen to much BS to be nice...
    Yeah, older guy.

Yea I'm just praying I don't get a dick inspector. Had to deal with a ton of BS with the basement and sorting out permits that the previous owner didn't. I'm just waiting to get dinged for something I've missed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2