Quantcast
Buying a Rebuilt Status Car / Recommend a Shop for Inspection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying a Rebuilt Status Car / Recommend a Shop for Inspection

My Ride
    Honda Accord

Default Buying a Rebuilt Status Car / Recommend a Shop for Inspection

Planning on buying a car with a rebuilt status and was wondering if anyone could provide recommendations on a shop for an inspection.

Also any tips / things I should be wary of? Called my insurance company and won't be a problem getting it insured.

Few notes:

- Looks like the car was the middle car in a 3 car fender bender; damage to the front / back. Saw pictures after the crash and looks like it was limited to headlights / fender. Post repair everything looks to be working and I can't tell that it was ever in a crash. Final repair bill was ~$5k so a bit surprised it was given a salvage title.

- Price is about 30-35% lower than the same model cars on kijiji (w/ similar kilometers and features)

I usually drive my cars for 5-7 years so not that concerned about resale value afterwards. I think the discount now will be much greater than the loss I'd take potentially selling in the future.
    Go Flames!

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I'm pretty sure any licensed facility will do the inspection. But having owned a few rebuilt status cars I know they go through quite a rigourous inspection to get certified to be back on the road

My Ride
    KTM

Was it rebuilt by a reputable shop? Aside from the resale value which isn't a concern based on how long you plan to keep it that would be my second concern. If it was a reputable shop I would be less concerned about the inspection. I did have a friend who recently bought a car out of province that was still in warranty with low KM but was more concerned about the exterior/ body condition before he made the trip to purchase. He paid for the owner to to take it to a body shop and they did detailed inspection on the exterior and body of the car. This might be something to consider.

Bumping this thread for 2021 relevance...
    Can anyone recommend a shop in the Calgary area to perform a Salvage vehicle inspection? I've called a very long list of businesses from the Vehicle Inspection Facility Search and am not having much luck.

Some shops are not certified (no journeyman?), some say they don't have the right equipment (aligmnent) and others flat out refuse to do business/are too busy.

I have a vehicle that was written off due to cost of repair (transmission), so no collision damage. Inspecting it should be the same as an OOP.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone recommend a shop in the Calgary area to perform a Salvage vehicle inspection? I've called a very long list of businesses from the Vehicle Inspection Facility Search and am not having much luck.

Some shops are not certified (no journeyman?), some say they don't have the right equipment (aligmnent) and others flat out refuse to do business/are too busy.

I have a vehicle that was written off due to cost of repair (transmission), so no collision damage. Inspecting it should be the same as an OOP.
    I dont understand. How did you get insurance to write off a mechanical failure?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I can give you a contact for salvage inspection if you want, but how did it get written off?

No insurance gives a shit that it needs mech repair. Salvage inspection is no where close to an OOP, it's needs a special license to be able to do them.

My Ride
    *The First*

Repair due to vandalism, maybe???

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Calgary area to perform a Salvage vehicle inspection?
    http://calgaryautomarine.com/

Azam can help you with that, give them a call. I don't take vehicles to people very often for work, but when I do, its to CAMS

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I dont understand. How did you get insurance to write off a mechanical failure?
    Maybe stolen and transmission fucked up by the thieves? Idk. I’m interested too.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Maybe stolen and transmission fucked up by the thieves? Idk. I’m interested too.
    I ask because my motor in the lightning may be fucked and I talked to my insurance and there's nothing they will do, so this is interesting.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I ask because my motor in the lightning may be fucked and I talked to my insurance and there's nothing they will do, so this is interesting.
    Why is the motor pooched? I'm curious as to why you'd look to go through insurance?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    Why is the motor pooched? I'm curious as to why you'd look to go through insurance?
    Just because I have heard of insurance doing it before, but have no idea how it would work, but I've been told no. Oil pump went out on me, im pretty sure.

My Ride
    Has wheels

That's no fun. The answer is definitely no if you don't ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Repair due to vandalism, maybe???
    I've seen a claim like that not too long ago. Claim was vandalism but the car blatantly looked like he did spray paint it himself to keep rust away. Then didn't want the car once rust got so bad.

My Ride
    4x4

The how is easy - usually in tow behind a motorhome or tow truck.

Or it got about a mile down the road from the quicky lube and the transmission grenaded because wrong fluid put in.

But yeah they don't generally cover day to day wear and tear failure.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Just because I have heard of insurance doing it before, but have no idea how it would work, but I've been told no. Oil pump went out on me, im pretty sure.
    Ive actually heard of this as well. Unsure how that works wether there has to be special insurance for modifications etc. But i know of one person that has had their insurance payout after blowing the motor in their car.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Ive actually heard of this as well. Unsure how that works wether there has to be special insurance for modifications etc. But i know of one person that has had their insurance payout after blowing the motor in their car.
    Maybe @Maskedbandit can chime in and say exactly how this works. I'm sure he told me, but I forget.

The only time I have seen them covered is due to an accident. Hit oil pan with road debris / manhole cover / rock ect.