Quantcast
ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, can someone school me on what the hell this is? A sample job posting would clear it up nicely.
    I would say the basic definition of a BA is someone that bridges the gap between Business and IT/Systems. Obviously this is a very general definition, and like any job there are different types of BAs. Some example BA jobs that i have seen and done are:

- Project Delivery BA - Business wants a new tool/application/solution to be built. You would work under a PM and work with the vendor or internal delivery team to get it working. You could be involved with many aspects of the project including Business Case/Investment Proposal, Requirements Gathering (this is a key thing for all types of BAs), Design, Testing, Deployment, Training, etc
    - Business Interface BA - Working under an IT Manager, you would handle demand for all new requests (big projects/small enhancements) and kick off all the work, but not necessarily see the project to the end like the Project BAs.
    - Application BA / Workflow BA - You would be the expert/super user for a specific application that has a lot of business users. You would teach them how to use it, do ad hoc data requests/migrations, coordinate support with vendor/internal support teams, coordinate enhancement requests, etc

These are just a few examples but there are many other flavours of a BA.

The problem with a lot of BAs is that they come from IT support backgrounds but don't understand the business side right off the bat. So it takes them a while to get up to speed and really know the purpose of the application and how it ultimately adds business value. With someone like yourself that has the business background, you would have a leg up there. For example i think you mentioned your background is drilling, so you could be a BA for that portfolio of software... you would not have to learn the basics of drilling (terminology, lifecycle of an asset/well, etc) because you already know it, so instead would just need to learn the intricacies of the software and could start advising.

here's one that i saw on linkedin today:
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/403451016/

My Ride
    Canyonero

What about sales? Not every pure sales job involves only C-suite or boardroom engagement. Most of the O&G sales types I've interacted with are all about a grounded, field-based understanding of the problem space their product/service addresses.

Sales can feel like a very individual pursuit but I think that is highly team dependent. Overall your description of strengths and attributes seems to fit the role quite well.

An MBA is also an option/asset in this space but I wouldn't suggest it is necessary at all, perhaps best considered a good way to network and find industry connections.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Haven't seen any openings in sales that don't require sales experience.

Although it's my opinion that publicly posted jobs are a waste of time unless you have someone on the inside who will vouch for you and push you to the front of the line.

I have had some good leads from beyond members, and I'm working on those. Anyone who thinks my experience might fit a need in thier organization, let's meet for a coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Sales will be tough right now as it's a buyer's market, and most are looking for 10+ years, big black book or a trading card showing you played in The Show. But ExtraSlow it sounds like you've got the technical experience that, coupled with the right social skills, would be good for a service company.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have had a few discussions about changing industries, but just shotgunning resumes out there is a waste of time. Mentioned to one beyonder this morning that if I can get one face-to-face meeting with someone who wants to learn about my skills, that's worth twenty job postings.

BA positions do seem to be a good match. Now just need to sit down face to face with someone who has one of those open positions to make a real personal connection.

Still applying for petroleum job postings too. Had a very relevant oil and gas one this morning (96% match rate on jobscan!). Let's see if I even get called for an interview. Don't know anyone at that company.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was at the PivotTech conference today and had some good discussions. Definitely seems like a BA role is a good fit for me. Have a couple of organizations that I will be targeting for junior BA positions. Had to reassure one recruiter three times that I didn't mind if it didn't pay "oil and gas money" because I sure as hell don't make that working in the car wash.
    Again if anyone has a real human who would meet me in person to discuss roles within their organization I would love to do that before submitting a resume to an HR person who would disqualify me based on assumed issues.

Funny enough several people told me that my oil and gas mentorship company was a potential goldmine and I should stick with that because it was such a valuable idea. Weird how its valuable and worthless at the same time...
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-05-2017 at 09:12 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Funny enough several people told me that my oil and gas mentorship company was a potential goldmine and I should stick with that because it was such a valuable idea. Weird how its valuable and worthless at the same time...
    You should put on courses to teach people these two things:

1. "How's the mud, square in the tanks, round in the hole?" isn't funny
    2. "Only two things go in the hole, your mud and my pipe, and it's pretty hard to fuck up pipe" isn't fucking funny either.

There'll be no end to the customers coming through your door, because literally every fucking person who has ever worked in the oilfield says that shit like it's fresh.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    "Only two things go in the hole, your mud and my pipe, and it's pretty hard to fuck up pipe".
    *Throws in a dip*
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You know I actually offered a mud course and found out every company in town already employs lots of mid experts. Seriously nobody was interested. Blew my mind.

My Ride

They're wrong. Customers know just enough to be dangerous. Mud companies put on one or two day courses for customers, more as a sales thing than for actual knowledge I assume, and they come out of it acting like they know everything. I'd rather they knew nothing at all.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    They're wrong. Customers know just enough to be dangerous. Mud companies put on one or two day courses for customers, more as a sales thing than for actual knowledge I assume, and they come out of it acting like they know everything. I'd rather they knew nothing at all.
    So like everything in O&G?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    So like everything in O&G?

Yep. Yep yep yep.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

your sarcasm detector need re-calibration. Maybe send it in next time you are getting your funnel checked.

My Ride

Yes, I see now how insightful my post was. Awful idiot, I am.

Check my funnel, you mean ask the derrickhand what he got?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Nothing but love SKR.

Anyone have insight into what a starting salary for a junior BA is? Have had four people tell me it's "not oil and gas money" but it's tough to get anyone to put a dollar figure on it.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Anyone have insight into what a starting salary for a junior BA is? Have had four people tell me it's "not oil and gas money" but it's tough to get anyone to put a dollar figure on it.
    I'd peg it between 50-75k (as a total outsider, never having worked a BA job). The role of a junior BA could be easily filled by a new grad and that feels like the appropriate range.

Glassdoor, linkedin, etc should be able to validate that.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

We just had a BA job posted. No idea if they'd take a Jr person but never hurts to throw in with my company. Weirder things have happened. If you're interested send me a text and I'll get the ball rolling. I'd need a resume and an email addy (if I don't have one).
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some news. I'm starting a "career transformation program" soon. Sounds interesting and might be a good reset for me.

http://www.higherlanding.com/product...huttle-program

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Some news. I'm starting a "career transformation program" soon. Sounds interesting and might be a good reset for me.

http://www.higherlanding.com/product...huttle-program
    You should take that $5k and burn it.

Or, you know, use it to pay for a years tuition at SAIT for a piece of paper that may actually help you.

You've been had, I hope you haven't paid yet.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    You should take that $5k and burn it.

Or, you know, use it to pay for a years tuition at SAIT for a piece of paper that may actually help you.

You've been had, I hope you haven't paid yet.
    So you go shit on the restaurant loan guys thread, and then jump directly over here to shit on ExtraSlows thread.

Who pissed in your cornflakes today?

(ps: it's a little ironic that you moan about me being an arrogant dickhead. might want to start taking a look at your own posts big guy.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast