Quantcast
ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: ExtraSlow's next career? Need suggestions and assistance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The HR people and mangers I've talked to told me they would never under any circumstances consider an older person for a junior role regardless of motivation, experience or any other factor. Seems crazy to me.
    So just another way of saying 'over qualified.' Which also doesn't make sense.

I also love the job interviews that are not interviews. The only and one question asked is how much you want to get paid.
    This just sets up everyone for the race for the bottom to get a job. More so when people get desperate and HR/managers become more slimy to find bottom dollar for good talent.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Ferio_vti View Post
    any particular reason why that door is shut for you?
    FWIW, my company doesn't do it either. Experienced hires are brought in around the level they were at in their previous job, and entry level roles are 100% filled by students within 1 year of graduation from undergrad or MBA.

My Ride
    Bicycle

So just another way of saying 'over qualified.' Which also doesn't make sense.
    Remember that some team leads can now be millennials. Getting shown their place by a subordinate is not ideal. It's much easier for them to manage out of school noobs.

Also there is the bias that out of schooler work harder for less because they may live in parents' basement for a while. People in 40s are also litter with kids, more sick/personal days, may not be happy with only 3 weeks of holidays. And then the potential that they may jump ship quicker as well because they are chasing those things to provide their kids.

I don't think it's right but I understand the why.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-19-2018 at 08:00 AM.

My Ride

Place I'm at just hired 2 new P.Eng positions, both with 4-5 years of experience. I think we are getting a fresh EIT too. So not all places have the "fuck you" attitude... but I can see the major companies doing it. There is so much selection for new hires, that they don't want to get out of the checkbox mentality. But our managers would rather hire as a personal referral than putting out a call for resumes, as we've had much better results from those hires.

Really, it's knowing the right person with the right contacts in the industry. I work with someone who can't walk the plus 15 because she gets stopped so often... it's people like that who get people jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    FWIW, my company doesn't do it either. Experienced hires are brought in around the level they were at in their previous job, and entry level roles are 100% filled by students within 1 year of graduation from undergrad or MBA.
    Sorry guys, I should clarify. Where I'm coming from and headed is someone that has experience in O&G and recently started EIT status. But I want to do a major career pivot into something different. It may be minor like stay in engineering like construction or extremely drastic like a non-profit or informal learning or a local 'artisan' business .

Are there anyone that jumped ship from one industry to another? It obviously sucks working from the bottom at a minimum wage position, but not impossible. What is people's experience growing a new career like this??

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Remember that some team leads can now be millennials. Getting shown their place by a subordinate is not ideal. It's much easier for them to manage out of school noobs.

Also there is the bias that out of schooler work harder for less because they may live in parents' basement for a while. People in 40s are also litter with kids, more sick/personal days, may not be happy with only 3 weeks of holidays. And then the potential that they may jump ship quicker as well because they are chasing those things to provide their kids.

I don't think it's right but I understand the why.
    If they are competent managers, they should have the Emotional Intelligence and are capable of handing any staff member, regardless of background and diversity. Likewise for a more experienced, 'older' team member. They should know their place, but also know how to be a team member.
    Just as well, if you're older and know what the employment climate is, you should know things aren't what it used to be. If you can't adapt to this climate, it would be obvious and you won't be hired. But it sucks being grouped, just like how having any O&G experience excludes you from other industries.

But then again, I've been reading a lot of Harvard Business Review book... I don't know where they find their fanciful sample business cases, but they all are easier said than done.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    V8s

Sorry guys, I should clarify. Where I'm coming from and headed is someone that has experience in O&G and recently started EIT status. But I want to do a major career pivot into something different. It may be minor like stay in engineering like construction or extremely drastic like a non-profit or informal learning or a local 'artisan' business .

Are there anyone that jumped ship from one industry to another? It obviously sucks working from the bottom at a minimum wage position, but not impossible. What is people's experience growing a new career like this??
    I worked in EPC (Large O&G projects) from new grad until the year I got my P.Eng. About 6 months after I got my P.Eng, I left the industry and went to work for a management consulting firm. I was able to make the jump successfully almost entirely due to my network (and being good at what I do); someone that was in a regional leadership role at my prior company moved to my current company and brought me over about 6 months later. I did have to take a slight step back in seniority in order to make the move, and will probably have to go back to get my MBA sooner than I planned in order to stay competitive within my company due to my non-business background. That being said, I'm quite happy I made the move, and would never go back.

I get it. Being in a position of hiring for a range of positions, I pay a lot of attention to how Sr. people were in past roles regardless of how Sr the position I am hiring for is. For me it pretty much all comes back to retention- I hate going through the hiring process so I like to hire qualified people who are most likely to stick around. If I know you have a fall back where you can make way more then I am paying you now, it's not going to take much for you to decide you liked your old paycheck a lot better and go back.

Entry level positions typically require the most training and investment so avoiding turnover here is huge for me. It's the exact same reason I don't like to hire trades guys from "up North". In my experience, they never last long and head back as soon as the phone rings.

My Ride
    Ford/Audi/Benz

Last edited by DustanS; 09-22-2022 at 11:25 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by DustanS View Post
    Interesting read.

Having read a few hundred resumes similar to yours I similarity share the view-point of most businesses that are unrelated to the O&G Industry. Hiring people who flocked in numbers to achieve an engineering degree based on the paycheck alone is tough look at any other way, and almost always they’re deleted and forgotten. Although, there is always a sense of compassion when stories of families burning up savings to survive, taking shitty jobs to make ends meat, and sacrificing homes/cars/hobbies because they don’t have an option, I tend not to look too much into these situations because the feeling of that individual ever being truly committed to something new seems unlikely and most would bail in a heartbeat in the event of a “boom”.

However, there are a few highlights to your initial post and some throughout the discussion that have caught my attention, and I cautiously admire you for posting this on a public board. I say cautiously because I’ve met and interviewed hundreds of individuals whom are fantastic at pitching or selling themselves, only to watch them crumble under the pressures of something new.

Ultimately, adaptability is the key to a persons sucess, and almost all of the successful people in my network had a door opened for them. So, if you’re interested, I’d be willing to hear you out, and see what you could possibly bring to the table in my organization. I’ve made my mark using the same mantra you’ve described multiple times throughout the thread, and it’s simple, “if I get in front of them, I’ll close the deal. If you’re able to put your words into action, you’re the type of person I’d want on our team.

PM me your contact number and I’ll reach out to coordinate a time to sit down with you in my office.
    Amway?

My Ride
    Ford/Audi/Benz

Last edited by DustanS; 09-22-2022 at 11:25 AM.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...nors-1.3871380

Liberal MP Anthony Housefather said last month he intends to introduce a private member's bill that would amend the Assisted Human Reproduction Act. The act, passed in 2004, allows for sperm and eggs to be donated and surrogate mothers to carry someone else's baby, but it imposes a strict ban on paying for those services beyond covering out of pocket expenses; penalties for violating the law include up to 10 years in prison or a $500,000 fine.

Liberal MP wants payments to surrogates, sperm and egg donors decriminalized. Last year, the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society said the law has resulted in a very limited supply of donated eggs and sperm in Canada, forcing want-to-be parents to look to the United States, where paid donations are legal.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...nors-1.3871380

Liberal MP Anthony Housefather said last month he intends to introduce a private member's bill that would amend the Assisted Human Reproduction Act. The act, passed in 2004, allows for sperm and eggs to be donated and surrogate mothers to carry someone else's baby, but it imposes a strict ban on paying for those services beyond covering out of pocket expenses; penalties for violating the law include up to 10 years in prison or a $500,000 fine.

Liberal MP wants payments to surrogates, sperm and egg donors decriminalized. Last year, the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society said the law has resulted in a very limited supply of donated eggs and sperm in Canada, forcing want-to-be parents to look to the United States, where paid donations are legal.
    ExtraSlow the Sperm donor?

Add a reality show celebrity in there too for 16 years after any they all want to meet their daddy. haha.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5