Quantcast
Trying to decide on Used: C400, C450 or new C43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on Used: C400, C450 or new C43

My Ride
    M3P

Default Trying to decide on Used: C400, C450 or new C43

Hey guys,

Looking for some incite from anyone who has made a similar decision or has any information on either of the 3 cars that they thought may be useful for me to make an informed decision.

I had a 10' C63 that I absolutely loved but the gas mileage on it killed me with having a lot of inner city driving. I switched to an X1 (stupidly) and I am absolutely bored with it. It feels no better than my XB, in fact it's less fun being automatic with an abundance of turbo lag.

I'm looking for something I can occasionally spiritedly drive that is AWD, 300+HP (and can be easily tuned) gets approx 11L/100KM (hwy/city combined) (added bonus for 360 camera)

I've narrowed it down to a used C400, C450 or building a C43. From what I can tell there are very minor differences between the 3 but I'm happy to learn otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I sold my C400 and bought a C43 if that tells you anything. My C400 always felt sluggish and boring and really I rushed into buying it as I wanted to get rid of my 335xi and the C450s were not out till the fall. I kept the car for 2 years then decided on either a fully loaded C43 or a C63 amg. I ended up going with the C43 as it provided me more fun than the C400 and had the practicality of AWD. I love the C63 but hate rwd in this city. If you are bored with the X1 the C400 is not going to do it for you.

My Ride
    G05

I wouldn't buy the c400 as there is enough of a difference going to the c450. Such as performance and some amg inspired tuning, suspensions etc.

Between the c450 and c43. The biggest difference is 7 vs 9'speed transmissions, more amg badging, and the amg exhaust option.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I'd probably get the C43 as resale on them should be better than the C400/C450 due to the confusing name changes(2 times in 3 years?). But I suspect you'd be able to get a nice deal on a C450, the C400 is missing out on a ton of upgrades that the C450 got.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking for something I can occasionally spiritedly drive that is AWD, 300+HP (and can be easily tuned) gets approx 11L/100KM (hwy/city combined) (added bonus for 360 camera)
    New TLX? Not sure how tunable it is, but probably the most reliable.
    Last edited by jutes; 09-07-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: model

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    New TLX? Not sure how tunable it is, but probably the most reliable.
    Huh... TLX is under 300 hp. As for tunable, it is a V6 so good luck.

Pretty much his main options as usual would be S4/S5, 3/440, or the C43 etc. And I guess these days toss in the Q50 or w/e (not sure about 360 camera or fuel chugging)

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Definitely don't get the C400. Suspension sucks. Big improvement on the C450. I haven't driven the C43, but I think the only improvement is the transmission and I really like it in the GLE43.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Seriously, C43 with the AMG sports seats is the way to go. Test drive them and you will see the difference.

My Ride
    Bicycle

2015 C400 is boring, don't bother.

2016 C450 is probably best bet for potential off lease right now.

2017 C43, you are probably looking for a former demo unit.

If you are driving in the inner city, the 7 vs 9 sp won't be that much different. 0-60, 9 sp is a hair faster. Sport Seat is an option for late model C450 as well.

And don't worry about the name changing, chances are 43 will be only with us until 2019/20 anyway. Then it'll become C53.

2016 and older, you gotta worry about window seal on driver door. 2017 and forward that's fixed. And however minor, all 3 have ever slight turbo lag off the line if not in S+ mode.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by austic View Post
    Seriously, C43 with the AMG sports seats is the way to go. Test drive them and you will see the difference.
    +1. Those seats are so good.

Don't bother with a C400. Isn't the C450 and the C43 the same thing?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Isn't the C450 and the C43 the same thing?
    Virtually they are except new 9sp transmission and proper AMG badging instead of AMG Sport.

All other options are identical.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Virtually they are except new 9sp transmission and proper AMG badging instead of AMG Sport.

All other options are identical.
    Ah, thanks.

OP, maybe use the new transmission as your decision point. Or the seats haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Ah, thanks.

OP, maybe use the new transmission as your decision point. Or the seats haha.
    Same performance seats can be had on C450 as well. It is only available starting in mid model year. Originally you can't get it.

There at least 2 in town, one sold at the auto show that year and mine. Not sure how popular is the option tho because it's almost a $4500 hit from a base C450/43.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-07-2017 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And don't worry about the name changing, chances are 43 will be only with us until 2019/20 anyway. Then it'll become C53.
    C Class most likely isn't getting the 53 treatment anytime soon. 430hp in minimum spec cuts way too far up segment, seeing as the C63 starts at 470hp.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Hey guys,

Looking for some incite from anyone who has made a similar decision or has any information on either of the 3 cars that they thought may be useful for me to make an informed decision.

I had a 10' C63 that I absolutely loved but the gas mileage on it killed me with having a lot of inner city driving. I switched to an X1 (stupidly) and I am absolutely bored with it. It feels no better than my XB, in fact it's less fun being automatic with an abundance of turbo lag.

I've narrowed it down to a used C400, C450 or building a C43. From what I can tell there are very minor differences between the 3 but I'm happy to learn otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
    Am I the only one who is going to point out that switching vehicles three times, combined with depreciation, more than offset the mpg costs for probably 2-5 years (and if OP switches vehicles this much, probably wouldn't keep a vehicle for 5 years anyways)?

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin... shoulda stuck with the C63.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    C Class most likely isn't getting the 53 treatment anytime soon. 430hp in minimum spec cuts way too far up segment, seeing as the C63 starts at 470hp.
    aww, I don't want a bigger E to get that inline 6.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Not sure how long ago OP had the C63. Besides gas, keeping a C63 beyond warranty may be cost prohibitive as well.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-07-2017 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

What about a CLA45...My son has one and its some serious fun. close in price as well

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    G05

Maybe they will drop the 63... Keep the c63s and bring out the c53?

My Ride
    M3P

I sold my C400 and bought a C43 if that tells you anything. My C400 always felt sluggish and boring and really I rushed into buying it as I wanted to get rid of my 335xi and the C450s were not out till the fall. I kept the car for 2 years then decided on either a fully loaded C43 or a C63 amg. I ended up going with the C43 as it provided me more fun than the C400 and had the practicality of AWD. I love the C63 but hate rwd in this city. If you are bored with the X1 the C400 is not going to do it for you.
    Thank you for this, the general consensus is that the C400 would not appease me.

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    I wouldn't buy the c400 as there is enough of a difference going to the c450. Such as performance and some amg inspired tuning, suspensions etc.

Between the c450 and c43. The biggest difference is 7 vs 9'speed transmissions, more amg badging, and the amg exhaust option.
    I wonder how much better the 9 speed is in the C43 to that of the 7 in the C450. I'll have to do some more research on this.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    I'd probably get the C43 as resale on them should be better than the C400/C450 due to the confusing name changes(2 times in 3 years?). But I suspect you'd be able to get a nice deal on a C450, the C400 is missing out on a ton of upgrades that the C450 got.
    I was thinking a C450 would be exponentially less expensive because it was only a one year cycle but from what i've been finding online the pricing isn't too great. Low to mid $50k would make the payments more than leasing a brand new C43 with nothing down.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Definitely don't get the C400. Suspension sucks. Big improvement on the C450. I haven't driven the C43, but I think the only improvement is the transmission and I really like it in the GLE43.
    Thank you

I do love the AMG seats - Expensive option though - I didn't have that on my initial build

2015 C400 is boring, don't bother.

2016 C450 is probably best bet for potential off lease right now.

2017 C43, you are probably looking for a former demo unit.

If you are driving in the inner city, the 7 vs 9 sp won't be that much different. 0-60, 9 sp is a hair faster. Sport Seat is an option for late model C450 as well.

2016 and older, you gotta worry about window seal on driver door. 2017 and forward that's fixed. And however minor, all 3 have ever slight turbo lag off the line if not in S+ mode.
    I was reading about the 53 line, the engine is very intriguing but I don't think I could wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Am I the only one who is going to point out that switching vehicles three times, combined with depreciation, more than offset the mpg costs for probably 2-5 years (and if OP switches vehicles this much, probably wouldn't keep a vehicle for 5 years anyways)?

I had the C63 over a year and sold it for $1000 less than I bought it for. That depreciation does not offset the cost of filling my gas tank 70L with premium fuel to only get 350KM-400KM/tank.

I generally don't switch vehicles too often. I had my XB for 7 years but having had a taste of that AMG life i'm eager to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanLotoski View Post
    What about a CLA45...My son has one and its some serious fun. close in price as well
    You adopting any kids?

Seriously though, I do like the styling of the CLA - Optioned out the same as the C43 it's very comparable in price. Not sure why I haven't considered it

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The CLA45 and GLA45 are fun, but lack of low end torque in day to day is a bit of a bummer. The new ones (due in 2 years) will address that with a 53 style hybrid setup, and over 400hp in a 2L 4 banger. The interior is completely reworked too, with the dual screen layout of the E and S class.

Now is a terrible time to get into a 45 IMO.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast