Quantcast
Amazon looking to expand. $5B investment. - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Amazon looking to expand. $5B investment.

My Ride
    95B

CBC is reporting that Amazon met with Feds 99 times in the last 12 months. Interesting development for sure.

U.S.-based e-commerce giant Amazon lobbied Canada’s Liberal government more than any other tech company in the last 12 months. According to a report by Radio-Canada — which MobileSyrup was able to verify thanks to the Office of the Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada (OLC) website — Amazon met 99 times with Canada’s Liberal government. Google met with the government 37 times, Microsoft met 35 times, while Netflix — which recently pledged $500 million CAD to bolster Canadian content — met with government officials 16 times. According to the OLC website, government institutions and agencies ranging from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada to Canada Border Services Agency to National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces were lobbied in the process. Unsurprisingly, companies like Google, Microsoft and Netflix all expressed some interest in amending Canada’s Copyright Act, Competition Act, Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), as well as the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission Act. Industry lobbying comes as no surprise to transparency advocate Duff Conacher is the co-founder of Ottawa-based not-for-profit Democracy Watch. The group advocates for democratic reform and as well as government accountability and transparency. Conacher says it’s not surprising that any corporation of any kind is lobbying Canada’s federal government. “I am not surprised that American tech giants are lobbying the government as they have business interests in Canada that they want to protect,” said Conacher, in an email to MobileSyrup. “I am also not surprised that the government is meeting with them. The unanswered question is whether the government has met with the American companies much more than they have met with Canadian companies and organizations on the same issues.” Amazon, for instance, lobbied the Office of the Minister of International Trade in order to “work with law makers to better harmonize consumer protection and cross-provincial regulations.” “If Cabinet ministers and top government officials have met with the American companies more than with Canadian companies and organizations, they have given preferential treatment to the American companies and the federal Ethics Commissioner should investigate to determine whether that has happened because of donations or other unethical favours or connections that the American companies have to the government.” Indeed, what’s astonishing is the ardour with which some of these U.S.-based tech conglomerates have seeked out government correspondence. In comparison, Rogers Communications only lobbied the government 38 times in the past month; the Royal Bank of Canada only lobbied 35 times; while TD Bank, Canada’s largest, only lobbied 22 times. MobileSyrup has reached out to the Office of the Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada, and will update this story with a response.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/31/a...ast-12-months/

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I wonder with this new Amazon Distribution hub in Calgary if Amazon will try and barge in on the grocery market in Calgary. Or atleast the organic market in Calgary.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder with this new Amazon Distribution hub in Calgary if Amazon will try and barge in on the grocery market in Calgary. Or atleast the organic market in Calgary.
    It all depends on how they're planning on automating logistics. From what they've said so far, it seems like the future plans are focused at the store level, and not integration with their distribution hub aside from dry products. But who knows, that could change pretty quickly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    My understanding is it wont be a coastal area because HQ1 is in seattle on a fault line next to an ocean, and they're looking for a region that is low risk for environmental disasters so they if HQ1 goes down HQ2 is still going smooth. That said, the rumour is texas is most likely, even with the recent disaster there.
    That would certainly put us higher on list. Between the random tornado and hail, there isn't much chance of a serious, long lasting disaster, immediately East of Calgary. If downtown, flooding though.

My Ride
    95B

A comprehensive meta-analysis of 18 separate studies suggests that a Canadian city won’t be the home of Amazon’s second North American headquarters. Instead, that honour will most likely go to Atlanta, the capital of and most populous city in the American state of Georgia. The meta-analysis was conducted by U.S.-based Sperling’s BestPlaces — a data analytics site that calculates and determines the so-called ‘Best Places’ in the U.S. BestPlaces used studies conducted by sources like CNN, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and Moody’s to assign a score to each city that formally proposed a bid for Amazon’s HQ2 headquarters. Atlanta, Boston and Chicago were the top three options. Only two Canadians cities made the cut: Toronto in 12th place and Vancouver in last place. “Experts are clearly favouring Atlanta, according to our analysis,” said Bert Sperling, founder of BestPlaces, in a November 21st, 2017 media release. “Boston and Chicago are close behind, but Amazon may very well make an unexpected pick for their new HQ2.” Regardless, it seems that the formal BestPlaces meta-analysis confirms what Anthony Lacavera and Bruce Croxon told MobileSyrup — Amazon isn’t terribly interested in investing in a Canadian city.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/21/c...nalysis-finds/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Does that meta analysis take into consideration the huge tax incentives? Because I'm pretty sure those are private and I'm also sure they will be a key factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Its really nice to have a produce distribution hub in a location that is temperate 5 to 15 Celsius all year long. That way, you really don't have to worry much about refridgeration or heating. Frozen produce is basically throw out, but surprisingly some produce is ok to 30 Celsius for a day (like lemons)

Amazon would only have one produce competitor in Canada, basically Loblaws (Galen Weston)
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Its really nice to have a produce distribution hub in a location that is temperate 5 to 15 Celsius all year long. That way, you really don't have to worry much about refridgeration or heating. Frozen produce is basically throw out, but surprisingly some produce is ok to 30 Celsius for a day (like lemons)

Amazon would only have one produce competitor in Canada, basically Loblaws (Galen Weston)
    You really have no idea, do you?

Anyway, I am looking forward to potentially building their refrigerated warehouse as my company is their equipment dealer in Alberta. I would expect, at minimum, the robotic order picking system similar to the new Sobeys warehouse near Balzac.

FYI, produce continually gives off heat as it is not dead, unlike meat.

Top 20 shortlist announced, only 1 Canadian city remains in the race.

Atlanta, Ga.
    Austin, Texas
    Boston, Mass.
    Chicago, Ill.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dallas, Texas
    Denver, Colo.
    Indianapolis, Ind.
    Los Angeles, Calif.
    Miami, Fla.
    Montgomery County, Md.
    Nashville, Tenn.
    Newark, NJ
    New York City, N.Y.
    Northern Virginia, Va.
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Toronto, Ont.
    Washington D.C.
    ---

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

So much for proximity to HQ1 requirement.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    So much for proximity to HQ1 requirement.
    Amazon responds is that no enough talents. So they basically want to be close to east coast universities.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Go. Columbus!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You know the company is obscenely rich when NYC is on the short list.

Three Washington, D.C. area locations including something as ambiguous as "Northern Virginia". Seems a pretty strong indication where they really want to be.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

See I knew we needed more bike lanes.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's Boston that's getting it. They're already working on leases down there for huge amounts of space. Proximity to MIT is a huge factor for talent.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford F150

99% of us weren't expecting Calgary to make the short list. It was just a political grandstand by Nenshi.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

The whole 'fighting a bear' campaign was dumb. Looked like an ad from the '80s.

See I knew we needed more bike lanes.
    Nah, we can't afford to keep up to the bicycle infrastructure spending that Cambridge, Washington and Atlanta are going through. What would be the point in trying to keep up?

My Ride
    This and that.

Man; they cut Calgary and Edmonton. Had I known this last night, I would have never spent the $100 on Amazon in my protest. lol

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast