Quantcast
Protecting wheels from rock chips? Any solutions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Protecting wheels from rock chips? Any solutions

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Question Protecting wheels from rock chips? Any solutions

Hey guys,

As the tittle says, I am looking for any possible solution to avoid or help against rock chips on my wheels.

Is there are ceramic/glass coating or any other product proven to work out there for this?

I know there are coatings that help with brake dust and such but I am only concerned about rock chips at the moment.

Thanks a lot!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Yes. You can Ceramic coat your wheels as well, like you can your whole car/paint

Do multiple coatings of it for added protection to make your wheels 9H or even 12H hardness depending how many coating.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Oh I see. Which coating would you recommend ?

I have the Gtechniq C5 wheel coating at home but I haven't applied it yet. My understanding is that the C5 would only help with brake dust and such so I was wondering which other coating could actually protect them.

Thanks a lot!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by georgemagana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I see. Which coating would you recommend ?

I have the Gtechniq C5 wheel coating at home but I haven't applied it yet. My understanding is that the C5 would only help with brake dust and such so I was wondering which other coating could actually protect them.

Thanks a lot!
    I don't know much about the coatings. Just from what I seen online. Ceramic Pro UK. I believe Auto Obsessed uses Car Pro Professional. Theres also IGL Quartz.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-cera...l-coating.html This is another one I've seen online but this one only claims to protect against brake dust and road grime. But I don't see why it wouldn't protect against rock chips if you add multiple coatings.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Silverado

There's nothing you can do. Stop driving in rocks I guess

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

If you have matte black wheels there's nothing you can do. They will all chip. I have had three sets from reputable brands like OZ and HRE in matte black and they all chip much worst than any other wheels I have owned even with ceramic coating.

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    If you have matte black wheels there's nothing you can do. They will all chip. I have had three sets from reputable brands like OZ and HRE in matte black and they all chip much worst than any other wheels I have owned even with ceramic coating.

I have had matte black wheels with zero issues before. It might be the paint they used.

But now these bronze wheels already got a chip after 4 weeks of driving and I dont want to get anymore chips.

Which ceramic coating are you referring to?

Looks like the only one that could help is the Ceramic Pro but all the others dont offer protection it seems.
    Last edited by georgemagana; 09-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I don't know much about the coatings. Just from what I seen online. Ceramic Pro UK. I believe Auto Obsessed uses Car Pro Professional. Theres also IGL Quartz.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-cera...l-coating.html This is another one I've seen online but this one only claims to protect against brake dust and road grime. But I don't see why it wouldn't protect against rock chips if you add multiple coatings.
    Thanks dude. I checked the products you suggested and it looks like Ceramic Pro might do the trick!

Now I need to find a place to buy it locally haha!

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

What exactly do you guys think of ceramic coating?

The "coating" itself, whether you call it coating is not even enough to withstand microfiber scratches.

Even if you coat it 100 times and buy a gallon of ceramic coating, nothing will protect it from the impact of debris and pebbles.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

It'll happen. a chip on the paint, a chip on the wheels, a chip on the windshield. You're in Calgary. There's not such thing as a MINT car.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    It'll happen. a chip on the paint, a chip on the wheels, a chip on the windshield. You're in Calgary. There's not such thing as a MINT car.
    amen

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post

I guess you can bring it back to the dealer every 200KM and claim somethings wrong then demand a new car.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    I guess you can bring it back to the dealer every 200KM and claim somethings wrong then demand a new car.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I don't know much about the coatings...

But I don't see why it wouldn't protect against rock chips if you add multiple coatings.
    Your credibility is shot. Not sure why you post your opinion on matters you don't even know much or anything about. Stop spreading wrong information, especially in threads asking for technical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    What exactly do you guys think of ceramic coating?

The "coating" itself, whether you call it coating is not even enough to withstand microfiber scratches.

Even if you coat it 100 times and buy a gallon of ceramic coating, nothing will protect it from the impact of debris and pebbles.
    Exactly, these coatings are only a few microns thick, hence "nano coating". The only thing to help with chips and whatnot is protective film. The purpose of coating is not to withstand rock chips.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Seems big percentage of enthusiasts fall for the marketing bullshit the ceramic coatings claim.

As others have said, coatings will help minimize or prevent micro marring but not from day to day scratches. Those coatings only work on youtube.com

0.5 to 3.0 microns thick, so less than 0.0001 inches of an expensive ceramic coating vs daily use.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I have Opticoat+ on top of my Ultimate XPEL and I like it a lot, simply because it makes washing the car incredibly easy.

Sometimes in the winter when I drive on the highway and it's fresh snowfall that has dusted the roads, the little particulates of snow hitting my car on the drive removes the dirt off the car for me. It's really interesting to see your car cleaner after a highway drive with no water, lol.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I have Opticoat+ on top of my Ultimate XPEL and I like it a lot, simply because it makes washing the car incredibly easy.

Sometimes in the winter when I drive on the highway and it's fresh snowfall that has dusted the roads, the little particulates of snow hitting my car on the drive removes the dirt off the car for me. It's really interesting to see your car cleaner after a highway drive with no water, lol.
    I think this is the main reason why I want to coat my car, simplicity of cleaning especially in winter.

The coatings do not stop rocks...anyone installing it for you should be very clear about that or they are being intentionally misleading.