Quantcast
Buying a Mini or a Golf in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Mini or a Golf in Calgary

Default Buying a Mini or a Golf in Calgary

Hi guys,

Hubby is looking to get a Mini or a Golf in YYC. What do you think? Apparently maintenance is not cheap for both of them.

He is looking for a good car under $20,000 (used one). He really likes the Mini and the Golf but if it's going to cost an arm and a leg, forget about it. Any experience from Calgarians?

Thanks

My Ride
    NC1

Can't comment on the Mini but I love my Golf. On my third one right now and I think the maintenance is fairly standard every 15k.

Plus Matt Low at SCFC is awesome to deal with.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Maintenance was low for my MK6 Golf. The Mini is a handful for reliability issues if you get one of the early first-generation ones.

My Ride
    2016 Tacoma TRD, 87 944 turbo, 06 DL1000

We bought a mk6 GTI for the wife and she loves it. Can't comment on the Mini but the Golf has been really good for maintenance. I've driven it a number of times and it's a fun sporty car with the 2L turbo in it.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I've owned both. MINI was a fun car, but I was scared to own it out of warranty. Lots of little issues. Golf was the better car, just as fun and maintenance was inexpensive.
    The Golf was reliable, although It seemed to always trip Check-engine lights on hard acceleration and go through lightbulbs like crazy. lol Get the Golf, and avoid taking it to a dealer.

A friend of mine had an 06 Mini Cooper JCW with a smaller pulley and multiple other bolt ons and suspension work.
    It made ~270whp.

It was honestly the funnest car I have ever driven.

My Ride
    NC1

I just have a regular golf right now but the GTi would be just the right amount of power for zipping around.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Reliability and Mini hahahaha hahahaha.... In all seriousness, glad you asked here, the Mini is hands down one of the most unreliable heaps of shit you can buy, if you must own one, get one with warranty coverage. The only exception is if you can DIY repairs but if you are asking you probably don't... Steer clear. As for Golfs , there are a number of reputable and reasonably priced mechanics in town. Just curious though, why not a Honda or Toyota, $20,000 is a good budget but not if you're worried about reliability and considering a used German vehicle. A Civic would be a good, stress free choice... Plus good resale too.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 09-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks guys for all the replies! Hubby was indeed looking into the GTi but he wants a model from last year and the GTi seems a little bit expensive.

As for Honda or Toyota, he is also looking into it.

He usually prefers a Four-wheel drive vehicule but if you are saying a Golf would work in YYC then I don't think we need to worry about it! We own a Ford Escape from 2011 and it's been a really good car so far. We have had it for 3 years. Now looking to get a second car.

I have a gen1 mini cooper, 113k km, dealership maintained. Funnest little car i've driven, great around corners and quite peppy if you get the Cooper S. Car is an 06 btw.

Reliability wise.....it's been terrible. Shit breaks on it like crazy. Random misc. issues. Again dealer maintained, very low mileage, and it's my wife who drives it mostly. Here's what I've had to drop into it over the past 6 months:

- Tensioner pulley is leaking hydraulic fluid - had to replace the tensioner pulley: $757.60
    - Water pump is leaking - had to replace the water pump: $1035.75
    - Crank sensor is sweating - replaced crank sensor: $935.84 total cost including the oil pan gasket
    - Oil pan gasket is leaking - replaced oil pan gasket: See above
    - Power steering hose is leaking - replaced hose: $361.65
    - In doing the tensioner pulley and water pump, I ended up replacing the serpentine belt and thermostat to be proactive: parts were $49.30 for the belt, and $71.92 for the thermostat. I saved labour on the belt since they had to take the old belt off to replace the tensioner pulley anyway. Thermostat was 1.5 hours labour iirc.

Anyway, with tax it was around $4000

All the repairs above are not typical consumable repairs like oil change, brakes, tires, and fluid flushes. These are items I would expect to see issues with approaching the 200k km mileage range, and even then on some of my cars I've not even see those issues and have exceeded the mileage.

Anyway, sorry just ranting. Don't know much about the golfs, heard fun cars but also heard from some vw guys that the vw's are good only while you have warranty

I personally would sway away from the mini if I was your hubby.

Here's a pic so you can see that the car isn't in shit shape. The car is mint btw and it still needed all this stuff:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 09-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    This and that.

My sister-in-law has had a 2010 Mini since it was only a couple of years old. She drove it year round in Winnipeg winters without issues. Reliability wise hers have had no issues at all, except for regular upkeep and the one time she got into a no-fault collision. Honestly it's a pretty fun car to drive and I have driven the Golf as well. Both are good in their own way but I preferred the Mini. I have contemplated picking up an old one as a side fun car myself. But I was surprised how great it was in winters with winter tires as I never expected a car that small to have no issues.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If you're thinking about a Golf I'd recommend Gary Moe Volkswagen in Red Deer, just a short trip up highway 2 and they're great to deal with.

Also, base price on a new golf is close to $20k and if you are looking at financing perhaps the difference in rates would make new as cheap as used?
    I've only got 2200km on my 2017 Golf (only got it 3 weeks ago) so I can't say much on the reliability of my current car, but my mk4 was very very reliable and it seems the general sentiment on the forums is the mk7s are just as reliable if not better.
    Scheduled maintenance costs are pretty reasonable, especially given how infrequent oil changes are (every 15,000km I believe but it might be 16,000).
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Mk7 /R Lapiz Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Zero102 View Post
    If you're thinking about a Golf I'd recommend Gary Moe Volkswagen in Red Deer, just a short trip up highway 2 and they're great to deal with.

Also, base price on a new golf is close to $20k and if you are looking at financing perhaps the difference in rates would make new as cheap as used?
    I've only got 2200km on my 2017 Golf (only got it 3 weeks ago) so I can't say much on the reliability of my current car, but my mk4 was very very reliable and it seems the general sentiment on the forums is the mk7s are just as reliable if not better.
    Scheduled maintenance costs are pretty reasonable, especially given how infrequent oil changes are (every 15,000km I believe but it might be 16,000).
    +1 for Gary Moe

Thanks guys! We are on Gary Moe's website right now

They seem to have a 2017 Golf with only 2,000 km at $20,990???? It's a manual one but it sounds super cheap compared to the 2016 ones.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

Hell yeah, call Ryan up at Gary Moe for the best VW buying experience ever. Love my '16 Golf TSI I bought last September. Haven't touched a thing other than the first oil change last month.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, talk to Ryan. He's a member and he always takes care of fellow Beyonders.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

I echo the referral to Gary Moe, and Ryan D. Best in southern Alberta.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    06 S2000

+1 for Ryan at Gary Moe. Sold me my '16 GTI.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

+1 for Ryan with Gary Moe VW

My Ride
    NC1

Yup. Also bought from Ryan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast