Quantcast
No power anywhere, yet good battery. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: No power anywhere, yet good battery.

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

Default No power anywhere, yet good battery.

My 04 Expedition has absolutely no power anywhere, lights, dome lights radio fan Etc. However the battery has 12.9 volts, I've probed before and after the fusible link, every grounding point, every PowerPoint under the hood, and the starter from the underneath, and all of those have 12.9 volt. I've checked all of the fuses and they look fine, the larger half inch square fuses I've probed with the ohm setting on a multimeter and most of them jump up to about a hundred whereas a few of them only jump up to about 5. I even swapped out batteries from a vehicle that starts regularly.I'm going to head to Pick-N-Pull and grab a few fuses that have a better reading. I thought I would post this to see if anybody has any ideas for me and I will check when I get back. Thanks a lot I'm pretty stumped at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that nothing also happens when I jump it with another vehicle.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Wiggle your terminals, check ground straps.

Check your battery posts like Sentry said. Son had the same issue with his prelude, and it was the ground post being too loose. Had similar issue with Tacoma too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:18 AM.

My Ride

I actually replaced the ground cable end with a brand new one, because it had that issue of when you tighten it completely it still was loose. The positive has a little bit of that issue, so I think I may as well do that and see what happens.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by big A View Post
    My 04 Expedition has absolutely no power anywhere, lights, dome lights radio fan Etc. However the battery has 12.9 volts, I've probed before and after the fusible link, every grounding point, every PowerPoint under the hood, and the starter from the underneath, and all of those have 12.9 volt. I've checked all of the fuses and they look fine, the larger half inch square fuses I've probed with the ohm setting on a multimeter and most of them jump up to about a hundred whereas a few of them only jump up to about 5. I even swapped out batteries from a vehicle that starts regularly.I'm going to head to Pick-N-Pull and grab a few fuses that have a better reading. I thought I would post this to see if anybody has any ideas for me and I will check when I get back. Thanks a lot I'm pretty stumped at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add that nothing also happens when I jump it with another vehicle.
    My 2001 F350 had the exact same issue (similar setup). Problem was a corroded ground post. Easy test for you is to turn the headlight switch on and wiggle around the terminals and see if the head lights flicker on/off.

My solution was to clean the terminals with a wire brush and WD40. I also bought a new battery to no avail (it was due anyway) but after I cleaned the inside of the post connector with a wire brush (was corroded there too), applied a part of a hose clamp to the ground post to build up the contact surface (even after tightening, the removed corrosion made the connection loose), used dielectric grease, it has been fine ever since.
    Last edited by revelations; 09-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Had something like this on my truck. The ground cable connection to the frame was corroded, everything at the battery looked fine (though I did clean the battery first before moving on).

My Ride

Thanks for all the ideas so far, nothing yet. I've done everything suggested here. All I can think of, is what sugarfreak says, and it's a fuse that tricking me. I've replaced all the fuses that have anything to do with ignition, and test the ohms of all the others. I put the multimeter on the power of the alternater and the ground of the battery and got 12.9.
    I'm thinking it's time to tow it to a shop.
    Thanks guys.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How's ground between battery and actual truck frame?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

If you are confident there are no issues with power distribution or grounds then check the fuse block.
    Remove the entire fuse box assembly from the footwell. Pull all the fuses and relays and disassemble the fuse box.
    There should be 5 permanently mounted relays on the circuit board. Check for burnt or corroded terminals.
    I believe there has been water issues with these Fords where water leaks in and causes issues with the circuit board.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by big A View Post
    I'm thinking it's time to tow it to a shop.
    Thanks guys.
    Id contact a mobile mechanic first. What part of the city are you in?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I had a similar issue with my CRV. I replaced the battery, same issue. The suv was so dam old that the battery connectors had disintegrated. They looked ok but in fact were not in great shape.
    I called AMA, the guy boosted me but showed me how bad the connectors were.

I bought new connectors and cleaned up the cables. Started first time.
    But yeah, if you have checked this and its ok.. mobile mechanic to look at it?

My Ride

You know? All of this and I don't think I've checked where it Ground to the block. I'll do that when I get home from work, thanks for all your help so far guys.