Quantcast
Greece/Europe Cell Plans? Something like Roam mobility? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greece/Europe Cell Plans? Something like Roam mobility?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I was just bumbling about and looking at stuff here. I saw this link..

http://www.travelhoney.com/choose-best-sim-card-europe/

My Ride
    G

I was in Greece in April. I paid something like 40 euro for 8gb of data with vodafone. There was calling minutes and text too but the sales person didn't explain how much of each. After Greece I was in Amsterdam and the sim card didn't work anymore so I'm assuming there's no roaming with those sim cards. Walked into the store with my passport and had to sign something and they give you this 4 digit sim card code that you can't lose or your sim will be useless. You need to enter that code to unlock the sim everytime your phone shuts down or restarts

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the info mitsu. I only need it for 9 days tops and only for me. RLH may be cheaper for me unless I can find a local pay as you go Sim package.
    Pre-paid Sim will be much cheaper they will speak English in the stores as well if you are just in one location...

- - - Updated - - -

Just talked to a friend living in Budapest

Can't confirm but he said as of June 1st, 2017 there is new laws in the EU that every sim card is roam free around the EU..

He travels a ton and is currently with Vodofone and said he gets no roaming charges..

Said he is using the Vodafone 5gb option but was using telekom but it was 4gb max

Vodafone has a 10gb and 20gb option as well..

his paying 4,000HUF ($19CAD) per month and it's the "TUTI PLAN"

Said you can get the Sim @ Westend upstairs Vodafone Store in Budapest.. (prob other options as well) - Westend Mall is located right downtown in Budapest as well...

Edit: June 15th..

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-...oaming-tariffs

Edit: When I was in Budapest I used Vodafone as well, can try to find my sim card if someone wants to just load it up... (Not sure if I still even have it or if it will work though)
    Last edited by Kobe; 09-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    girl car

In my experience, I much prefer those pocket WIFIs over SIMs. Do that if possible. You'll notice your battery life is so much better. While travelling, I'll tend to take more phone photos, videos, GPS and etc. That extra bit of battery life helps as opposed to having the phone constantly connected to the network (you could call it normal usage). Do be careful with auto-updating apps on Wifi though.

Powerbank solves that problem but just my 2 cents!

Having said that, I used a pocket wifi in Japan, and a SIM in greece (bought in Rome). Speeds were not that great (for keeping up with social media) but plenty for googling restaurants, getting directions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cream View Post
    Having said that, I used a pocket wifi in Japan, and a SIM in greece (bought in Rome). Speeds were not that great (for keeping up with social media) but plenty for googling restaurants, getting directions, etc.
    Which one had subpar speeds? Japan's LTE speeds are as good as our broadband home internet, but you need the proper pocket WiFi to take advantage of it.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I paid $269 CAD for 19 days of unlimited everything anywhere in Europe with shipping and all fees. It's expensive but it's just so convenient and we both have phones and tablets, as well as some long train rides to stay entertained on. The same thing in Japan for 15 days was $140 CAD. We're also going to 3-4 countries so you pay more to have it work anywhere.

If you want to save money, shipping it to the airport post office or your accommodation is the first thing you can do. Also if you can live with being throttled after 1GB of data usage (per day), you can save a good chunk more. We actually probably could have got away with 1GB/day which is quite a lot but I just wanted to guarantee no issues. The GF needs that FB/Insta

There is a 10% off code (WIFI10) not sure if it still works but it worked for me yesterday even though the promotion was supposed to be over.
    So do you just turn off the mobile connection on your phone and just have it connected through wi-fi for your entire trip?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2