Quantcast
Official 17/18 Winter Tire Thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Official 17/18 Winter Tire Thread

I am living in Water Valley now and coming on on backroads that for the most part do not see a plow. I am trying some studded Federal Himalaya Inverno's on my F150 (275/55R20) this year. The traction level for the Federals is fantastic! They are very stable feeling in the dry as well. Obviously the studs generate a bit of road noise but definitely nothing intolerable. I am blasting down 8 inches of snow covered roads with ice underneath in 2wd without any issues.
    Bob Blakeborough

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post

The problem I've seen with cheap studded tires, is that a they will still become a hockey puck at -15 like all-seasons do, so now you're just floating on studs when driving on dry pavement, which is almost as shitty as all-seasons on ice.
    I do agree with you on this.. They do not have the same temp range as a quality tire. I find on the Saliun, the do turn into pucks below -20. I dont think I would buy them unless I had a very low budget.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    I do agree with you on this.. They do not have the same temp range as a quality tire. I find on the Saliun, the do turn into pucks below -20. I dont think I would buy them unless I had a very low budget.
    This is absolutely true. It is a question I get often whether or not it matters the quality of a tire if you are studding it anyways...

So for the record... Not all compounding is created equally. Absolutely a cheap studded tire is going to still provide a much higher level of traction compared to not being studded, but the better tires with complex rubber compounds that stay softer in the extreme cold will be better studded than the less complex compounds studded. Think of studding as adding a layer of traction rather than as being equivalent no matter the tire. This wasn't as true even not that long ago but over the last few years, compounding has really advanced a lot creating a much higher variance between the cheap stuff and better stuff.

That said, I still very much believe that any modern winter tire is an improvement over all seasons! By no means does that mean one absolutely needs winter tires, but pretending that it isn't offering a real improvement having them is a complete falsehood.
    Bob Blakeborough

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

I've had the opportunity to drive my WRX on both Hakka8 and now Hakka9 studded. Comparing between the two is hard - they feel very similar on the streets. When the lake freezes I'll be able to judge the ice performance better.

The stud noise is present at low speeds for sure; 20km/h clickty-clack. Last night, driving on Deerfoot in the freezing rain, I felt no real perceptible loss of grip. This morning on the way to work, the combination of slush over top of partially melted ice did trigger ABS; but that was a full panic stop test. I think most tires would fail this scenario, when the sipes are full of slurpee and the studs can't bite down through it.

Nothing beats low speed parking lot traction at JOEY Barlow

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5