Quantcast
Official 17/18 Winter Tire Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 17/18 Winter Tire Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

I don't know if I should put my X-Ice on now...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My performance winters (Blizzak LM-32) are on a staggered 19 setup. Obviously they're no hakka's, but for the winters we have they're good enough. Having said that, if I drove it regularly in the winter, I'd probably get hakkas or something. I've had x-ices on a couple different cars - they're great at stopping, but I really don't like them on dry pavement.
    I have PA4s on the Wagon that gets driven daily. Awesome on dry pavement.

The E63 can't go smaller than 19" due to clearance issues. Nothing like 35 series tires when it is cold out. haha

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Curious, why not buy local even though it might be a bit more expensive? When there are no longer any local tire shops, then what - we mount and balance our own tires? I'm not hating on you but places like Urban X employ and spend locally and also help out other local businesses through referrals and I'd hate to see places like that disappear.
    Do you buy everything local, even though it's more expensive? You don't shop around online to find the best prices, for anything?
    heloc that shit

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Do you buy everything local, even though it's more expensive? You don't shop around online to find the best prices, for anything?
    I'm an anomaly on here in that I can probably count on one hand the number of things I've purchased on line. I like that face to face contact and help/advice and don't mind paying a bit more for it. I do see that changing for myself but certainly in a way thatany beyond members do - my tires will still be purchased locally, I love the fact that I can go into Urban X and be sold what I actually want/need and leave comfortable with my purchase in addition to the service they provide and continue to provide.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I read an article last night that said that high performance summer tires can actually be dangerous to drive on when temperatures start approaching +5C or lower and in same cases, the actual tire tread can crack and possibly even break off. Is this actually a thing because of the different compounds in a performance summer tire?

LOL...grew up in Vancouver, we drove on summers and bald all seasons all year long right through the winter, and yes it does get below 5 degrees there. Was it dicy at times? Yes, but no tread was cracking and breaking off! Sorry, funniest thing I read all day.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

A friend is selling some Toyo Observe Garit KX. Anyone ever run these before and can comment on how they are? I've always used cheap winter tires on my previous vehicles, GT Radial Champiro Ice Pro studded so curious how these perform
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    LOL...grew up in Vancouver, we drove on summers and bald all seasons all year long right through the winter, and yes it does get below 5 degrees there. Was it dicy at times? Yes, but no tread was cracking and breaking off! Sorry, funniest thing I read all day.
    FYI Van is a little warmer than Calgary in the winter. And yes, I know it got below 5*C.

Did you skip past the post where SKR said this actually happened to him (here in AB)?

So tirerack.com is off their rocker?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    NC1

I buy local and pay a bit more but it's because I have been going to the boys forever and I want to give them the biz. With that said, sometimes I do buy online and just ship directly to them haha

So tirerack.com is off their rocker?
    While anyone who races probably knows someone who ordered tires too soon in winter and had a ups guy 'shatter' their new racing tires by throwing them off the truck (hasn't happened to me personally but I do know people who have had it happen), I can't say that applies to anything that is normal to drive on the street. I've driven re01's in -20ish and it did not ruin them, and that is about as extreme a summer tire as 99.99% of the population will ever have touch their car.

Also, anyone who drives summer tires like that in winter probably will not have that car long as it will likely be put in to a cement barrier within an hour or 2.

heck, i dont usually even leave my summer tires on my summer car that has never seen snow. It has a set of blizzak LM's i put on it for storage.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Not every tire cracks. Some do. I had three that did. Good for you that you were some kind of tire expert back in Vancouver, but you're wrong here.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I enjoyed the mpss' yesterday... lots of steering with the throttle

Had alpin's last season... garbage

The x-ice come in a 245/40 and 45 profile in a 19... seems like a decent size, run a little stretch in the rear... but I'd rather a 245 vs a 265 or 285 for winter anyways
    Last edited by ercchry; 09-23-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Picked up some new winter tires and got a steller deal on a couple sets of coopers along with some rebates from CT

Got a set of studded Weather Master S/T's for cheap on the Volvo... I would say in deep snow, they are the best I've had, but on Ice even with studs... they are about 90% of the Gislaved studded frost 5. Plenty good for Calgary's winter conditions and really cheap to boot. AWD with the DSTC and brake force distribution and she's solid as a rock

on the F150, picked up the CT version of the Cooper XT/4 all weather called the AT/W. I picked it up in an E ply LT, as the tread depth is 16/32nds and runing 32 PSI this thing is a BEAST. Deep snow as good as my Duratracs... on hard pack and Ice? Better than any A/T I've ever had and also about 90% of the Goodyear Ultimate Ice grip winters I use to run.
    I used to run Duratrac E ply studded, and these XT/4s blows them away especially on transitional highway conditions... honestly in the city I've not "had" to put it in 4x4, and when I have, its almost too much traction.

honestly I almost think that heavy Part time 4x4's should not use full Winter tires, as its probably too much strain on the drivetrain

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Ends up with hakka r2’s... weird tire... some conditions it’s almost too much grip, others it feels like a performance winter. And in dry, warmer weather it feels like my wheels are made of butter...

My Ride
    changes every year

getting my studded Hakka 9s put on tomorrow. pricey as fuck but I've never had studded and after reading and watching vids about them, I decided to try them on my X5.

will report back when I've had a good chance to test them out.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I have PA4s on the Wagon that gets driven daily. Awesome on dry pavement.

The E63 can't go smaller than 19" due to clearance issues. Nothing like 35 series tires when it is cold out. haha
    Are you sure? I went 18 on my e63 without a single issue, just couldn’t go any smaller then that.

Fiance and I both use Toyo G3-Ice studded.

They're FANTASTIC tires.

My Ride
    something green

I had some Nokian Rotiiva AT all seasons installed on my 3500 work truck last thursday.. I have a lot of weight in the truck much more than most people drive around with, but so far these tires kick ass on snow and ice. Kal tire assured me these are hard enough not to burn down quickly like a full winter tire did on the truck, and the price was good, 6 tires installed for 1600.00
    I'm not even going to bother putting my chains in the back of the truck this year, I went up a deeply drifted rural driveway on Friday morning with ease and the truck is 2wd.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast