Quantcast
Tales from the car wash, my time behind the scenes at Calgary’s largest car rental co - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tales from the car wash, my time behind the scenes at Calgary’s largest car rental co

My Ride
    Treg/B7

How do you get free upgrades?

My Ride
    Bang Bus

To add with the 6 month buy back program there is a 10k-25k repair program for auto body repairs that is not reported to insurance. Trade secret as i was one of the guys that was repairing an average of 50-60 vehicles a month on straight time. $$$$$$$$$$

My Ride
    KTM

I very briefly managed the fleet of vehicles for the same or very similar company(my experience was Hertz) operating by the airport about 10 years ago. The lack of direction and the management was pathetic. A month in I had no idea what my job was or what I had been hired to actually do, it was terrible. What was posted and discussed was nothing like the actual job. No email or computer access after a month....... insane.

The manager wasn't fit to manage a fast food joint. I found another job, walked in with the car I was provided tossed her the keys and walked out. I have never done that before and for sure never will again. Ugh the thought of the place makes me shiver- hahaha
    Last edited by craigcd; 09-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Since I'm a temporary employee I don't even get a car. Brutal. Seems like every permanent manager does. That's a pretty good perk.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    most people are reasonably respectful of the vehicles, but those who aren't make up for it! Had toyota tacoma show up, the back seat was literally filled with fast food garbage. Like both sides, it was stacked up in the footwells so high that it was covering the rear seats. Front passenger side had "only" a few dozen meals worth, I guess this guy liked to throw things behind him. Box had a few random things in it too, like a full cardboard box of clean empty glass jars.

Found one car with a bottle of wine spilled in the passenger seat. Bottle was still there, rolling around, with only about 10% left in it.

Sickest thing was a truck that had a bunch of monster energy spilled all over it. Man that stuff STINKS when it's been baking in the sunshine for a few days.

Its really common for our pickup trucks to come back with mud all over the interior, and for things to still be in the truck bed. Minivans almost always have spilled food in them, crumbs everywhere.

Chocolate is really gross once it melts into a cupholder. I don't know any efficient method of removing that.
    When I worked at Hertz during my school days we had a customer once return a mini van that had been used to haul his hunting trip kill. There was blood and fur everywhere, probably the weirdest clean job I've ever seen.

What goes deeper into the bush than a 4x4...

A rented 4x4...
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Man this thread brings back good memories. I worked at a car rental place located downtown about 10 years ago. I was the downtown shuttle driver and it was a sweet gig. I would pick up and drop off customers all over the city. I could take pretty much any car on the lot to do my drop-offs and pick-ups. One time I took a Mustang convertible to pick-up a customer and when I arrived it was 2 larger folks with big bags of luggage. That was a tight squeeze.

I would have to go up to the Airport staging location from time to time and it was a gong-show. There was a lot of volume coming in and out, even had their own gas station, but man those employees up there just bagged on the cars.

It was a great job if you like driving and I was able to experience so many different cars. To this day them most comfortable seats I have ever sat in where in a Volvo S60. I would almost buy that car just for the seats. Almost.

There's no sure way to get free upgrades that I know of, but being nice always goes a long way. The counter staff have to deal with some pretty horrible people sometimes. Also if you are a repeat customer and they get to know you and like you they would try to upgrade you if they can. During peak times like Fridays, Stampede week, Christmas time, there's not a lot of chance of getting an upgrade. You may even have to wait for your car.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    When I worked at Hertz during my school days we had a customer once return a mini van that had been used to haul his hunting trip kill. There was blood and fur everywhere, probably the weirdest clean job I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    I very briefly managed the fleet of vehicles for the same or very similar company(my experience was Hertz) operating by the airport about 10 years ago.

I remembered getting trained in PDR dent repair on rental cars at the airport, that was ummmm 19 years ago in '98 when I was in high school.

My Ride
    Lease

Man I'm so embarrassed to return all my unworn extra apparels now... You know how when someone forgets to lock the supply room? "oh need another jacket, snow jacket, rain jacket" Anyone currently working at Hertz now and wanna sneak this back in the supply room for me? I'd say 2001 design.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What size? I'd probably rock that gear.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I also worked at Hertz at the airport yard driving cars back and forth for a few months, I think 9-10 of us friends all walked in and got hired the same day. Manager at the time was awesome, being in school he told us we could come in and work whenever we wanted and was super flexible. I remember getting bonus hours for helping the guys at the carwash once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Man I'm so embarrassed to return all my unworn extra apparels now... You know how when someone forgets to lock the supply room? "oh need another jacket, snow jacket, rain jacket" Anyone currently working at Hertz now and wanna sneak this back in the supply room for me? I'd say 2001 design.
    What? Man, if you've kept an unworn jacket around for 16 years with the tags still on it I would think it's probably time for a bit of a purge.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

I have the same jacket! I was probably working downtown around the same time as you. I just cut threads holding the Hertz logo off and still use that jacket in my garage to this day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

wow, lots of car rental alumni around here. Is it weird that I didn't do this when i was young, but and now there in my "middle age"?

Middle aged is generally considered 45-65, man , you're looking good.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't confuse me being handsome with not being crochety and grumpy!

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    What? Man, if you've kept an unworn jacket around for 16 years with the tags still on it I would think it's probably time for a bit of a purge.
    To be fair, what if there comes a day where this particular company goes belly up or bought out (and purchaser switches to their name), this way I can quiz kids of millennials "what does Hertz stand for?" Laugh now, I'm sure we can all dig up big corporations from 30-50's that no longer exist.

Well, the more logical reason is... back in my younger years starting work life... Didn't know how I'd turn out as a person, shady or more legit, as in life after rental agency employment. Not gonna talk in absolute sentence, but let's say keys at a rental yard were (old days), ummmm how do I word this so I don't get in shit by Beyond CPS officers, ummmm back then rental yards were like, "soccer mom Calgary winter -40 omg, I only ran into the store to get some milk for a minute, can't believe my car's gone, iunno what happened". Anyway I've said too much, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeSi View Post
    I have the same jacket! I was probably working downtown around the same time as you. I just cut threads holding the Hertz logo off and still use that jacket in my garage to this day.
    Yes yes... I've also got my fair share of "debadged" lol long snow jackets, rain coats, safety boots. (disclaimer, I worn them during my employment, and management does not want those back)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have extended this contract for a while longer, going down to three days a week. Man this is such a different gig in October when it's not busy compared to the summer.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

To be fair, what if there comes a day where this particular company goes belly up or bought out (and purchaser switches to their name), this way I can quiz kids of millennials "what does Hertz stand for?" Laugh now, I'm sure we can all dig up big corporations from 30-50's that no longer exist.
    Offer to give them a Hertz donut.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Offer to give them a Hertz donut.
    I've forgotten about that one lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast