Quantcast
Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70 - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

100% positive I drove a G70. Maybe I should have taken a pic... lol Like I said, there are 19 in Edmonton so far. I looked at about 4 of them waiting to be delivered to customers. I drove a white one, but checked out some of the other colors. Check out the Hyundai dealership on 99 street on the southside. The actual Genesis sales people aren't always there, I just happened to stop by at a good time.

They have two at the car show right now to look at as well. White and blue I think they said. I am sneaking out of work tomorrow afternoon to check out the show.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

They have two at the car show right now to look at as well. White and blue I think they said. I am sneaking out of work tomorrow afternoon to check out the show.
    Good to know, I am planning on going there as well on the weekend. Lots of new models for this autoshow.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Just finished my test drive of a G70 3.3TT Sport.

Overall I'm very, very impressed.

Interior
    The fit & finish is really top notch, everything is soft to the touch. The quilted leather on the seats and door panels is very nice. The micro-suede headliner looks sharp and the placement of the infotainment system and the overall layout and functionality is quite good. As an added bonus the screen does a really good job of not getting smudged by fingerprints. The rear seat legroom is ok, the rear seat headroom leaves a bit to be desired. I'm 6' and my head was touching the headliner. The trunk can pop open with just the key in your pocket, no foot waving required, which I like. Front heated & cooled seats, heated wheel and rear heated seats. Seats are comfortable and well bolstered (bolsters are also adjustable). Sound system is actually very impressive (Lexicon I think), plenty of bass and a nice crisp sound. Road noise and NVH in general has been very well dealt with, it truly felt like sitting inside a comparable German. The heads up display is really nice, better than others I've seen (comparing to GM).

Motor/Trans
    Acceleration feels strong, plenty of torque, car is quick. The transmission is also quite good (I think it's a ZF box but not sure), both upshifts and downshifts are quick, not DSG quick but quick none the less. In auto mode it does an ok job of doing what you want it to do but best results are obviously achieved with the paddles.

Suspension/Chassis
    I would have preferred a bigger change in damping between comfort and sport. Other than the side bolsters tightening up and a bit of artificial weight added to the steering the mode doesn't really seem to do much. That being said the car is very well damped, it absorbs mid-corner bumps without getting unsettled. I didn't get to push as hard as I'd like as the salesman was with me but you can tell it's a rear bias AWD system, LSD seems to lock up nice and quick over lose surfaces (gravel). But I feel that the car would push at the limit, I just really hope a little throttle would bring the tail around. The sport comes with Michelin PS4S tires which are a great tire, I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

Brakes
    Stout, easy to modulate.

The one I drove which was essentially fully loaded, total all-in cost is $60,495 including freight, pdi, taxes, fees, 5 years maintenance and Genesis connect and I believe the finance and lease rate is 2.9%.
    A comparable S4 is around 71K, a 340 around 75K and a C43 around 73K so comparing to those cars I'd say the value is there. Depreciation is the big question, what will these be worth once a year old.

Last edited by 94boosted; 05-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Just finished my test drive of a G70 3.3TT Sport.
    A comparable S4 is around 71K, a 340 around 75K and a C43 around 73K so comparing to those cars I'd say the value is there. Depreciation is the big question, what will these be worth once a year old.
    Good review. Neat to see regular people saying it stacks up well against the germans.

RE: depreciation... as mentioned elsewhere, can't be much worse than depreciation of an S4, 340, C43. Maybe the first year will be harder for the Hyundai, but once warranties are up, my bet is the Germans close the gap a bit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Residual as stated earlier or in the Stinger thread, is comparable to Germans. With a decent lease rate, I think it would be about $100 less per month than the loaded C43/340xi.

The dash and infotainment system is a exactly the same units in the Stinger.

I think the microfiber headliner gives you a faux alcantara look and a good touch. The fit and finish of buttons and leather is 1 grade above stinger. Rear seat is cramp, almost IS350 cramp.

There is no reason to consider TL-X, Q50 and IS or any of the non-performance oriented Germans (A4/C300/330i) over this if you don't care about rear passenger comfort.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-21-2018 at 08:55 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I am about to do my second drive of the G70 Sport with the 3.3 this time overnight. I have looked at all the cars listed above by Xtrema and I think I am definitely thinking about going with either the G70 or the Stinger.

Like you mentioned, interior materials are a bit better in the G70, but the Stinger has the same headliner and is still really good for the price. More features than you get with the Japanese competitors and way less money than the Germans.

My issue is that I like the larger rear seat and hatch of the Stinger, but like the better interior/Stereo in the G70. G70 also looks like it will be less noticeable to the police. G70 has the added benefit of no maintenance costs for 5 years which is nice, but it is ~$5,500 more than the Stinger and I think I can get about $2K off the price on the Stinger and it doesn't seem like that will happen with the G70.

94boosted - I noticed the lack of difference in the suspension between comfort and sport on both the G70 and Stinger as well. Stinger is definitely the softer riding of the two though.

Also - does anyone know why there have been no formal reviews of the G70 yet in major magazine's? The Genesis salesperson told me they are not allowed to release test results until May 1 (I think that was the date) but they couldn't tell me why. It is just very seldom that a vehicle is in peoples driveways before it is tested by Motortrend or Car and Driver.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Also - does anyone know why there have been no formal reviews of the G70 yet in major magazine's? The Genesis salesperson told me they are not allowed to release test results until May 1 (I think that was the date) but they couldn't tell me why. It is just very seldom that a vehicle is in peoples driveways before it is tested by Motortrend or Car and Driver.

Not final tune tho.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Instrumented testing is what I am talking about though. Just seems odd that they are so far behind the release of the car.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I am about to do my second drive of the G70 Sport with the 3.3 this time overnight. I have looked at all the cars listed above by Xtrema and I think I am definitely thinking about going with either the G70 or the Stinger.

Like you mentioned, interior materials are a bit better in the G70, but the Stinger has the same headliner and is still really good for the price. More features than you get with the Japanese competitors and way less money than the Germans.

My issue is that I like the larger rear seat and hatch of the Stinger, but like the better interior/Stereo in the G70. G70 also looks like it will be less noticeable to the police. G70 has the added benefit of no maintenance costs for 5 years which is nice, but it is ~$5,500 more than the Stinger and I think I can get about $2K off the price on the Stinger and it doesn't seem like that will happen with the G70.

94boosted - I noticed the lack of difference in the suspension between comfort and sport on both the G70 and Stinger as well. Stinger is definitely the softer riding of the two though.

I'm jealous. I'd definitely roll in a G70. Maybe in a couple of years.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Well I ended up buying the G70 Sport 3.3 and for the first 244km I am quite happy.

My opinion on the styling isn't as strong as Sugarphreak's... I like the Stinger better from the back, and side, front is a toss up. I also really dislike the fake vents on the hood of the Stinger and the little vent on the side of the Stinger collects a ton of rocks which I didn't like. But overall both cars look good to me. Not best in class but not worst either.

Now the interior is where there is a big difference. The G70 has a way better interior, particularly seats and dash. And since I drive about 27-28,000km a year and mostly by myself, that is important to me. Way more than the exterior. The steering and handling is better on the G70 imo as well and that is worth it day in and day out. I would have loved the hatch, but aside from my golf clubs, kids hockey or taekwondo gear, I don't put anything else back there and those all fit fine in the smaller trunk of the G70.

Anyway, favorite parts so far: engine/suspension/interior - hopefully none of this gets old for a long time! Also I really like the Genesis connected app. I can see who many km are on the car, when the next service is, where the car is parked (spouse creep ) and start/stop, unlock/lock, honk horn, etc all from the app. One cool feature is the status monitor. It tells you if individual doors are locked or unlocked or open or closed. And it can tell you if the car is running, and if things like the heated steering wheel or defrost is on. Another plus is the welcome lights - as you walk up to the car, the mirrors fold out and project a Genesis symbol on the ground. Looks cool at night or in the garage. Also I like that you can fully turn off the fake engine sounds through the speakers (or choose 3 levels if that is what you like). Every car should have that option.

Negatives: they cheaped out on the door handles - lock and unlock are both via a button, no sensors, and only on the front doors. Even a Ford Fusion has sensor lock and unlock on all four door handles.

I am sure I will end up with more negatives as time goes on, but that is it so far.

Oh, and the delivery is impressive. They bring the car to your house in an enclosed trailer with glass sides and lights inside. Looks impressive and has your neighbors thinking "WFT" as they pull up, put pylons out and then back the car out. Service so far has been amazing and hopefully that continues when I need actual service done... I will post some pics later.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Well I ended up buying the G70 Sport 3.3 and for the first 244km I am quite happy.

My opinion on the styling isn't as strong as Sugarphreak's... I like the Stinger better from the back, and side, front is a toss up. I also really dislike the fake vents on the hood of the Stinger and the little vent on the side of the Stinger collects a ton of rocks which I didn't like. But overall both cars look good to me. Not best in class but not worst either.

Now the interior is where there is a big difference. The G70 has a way better interior, particularly seats and dash. And since I drive about 27-28,000km a year and mostly by myself, that is important to me. Way more than the exterior. The steering and handling is better on the G70 imo as well and that is worth it day in and day out. I would have loved the hatch, but aside from my golf clubs, kids hockey or taekwondo gear, I don't put anything else back there and those all fit fine in the smaller trunk of the G70.

Anyway, favorite parts so far: engine/suspension/interior - hopefully none of this gets old for a long time! Also I really like the Genesis connected app. I can see who many km are on the car, when the next service is, where the car is parked (spouse creep ) and start/stop, unlock/lock, honk horn, etc all from the app. One cool feature is the status monitor. It tells you if individual doors are locked or unlocked or open or closed. And it can tell you if the car is running, and if things like the heated steering wheel or defrost is on. Another plus is the welcome lights - as you walk up to the car, the mirrors fold out and project a Genesis symbol on the ground. Looks cool at night or in the garage. Also I like that you can fully turn off the fake engine sounds through the speakers (or choose 3 levels if that is what you like). Every car should have that option.

Negatives: they cheaped out on the door handles - lock and unlock are both via a button, no sensors, and only on the front doors. Even a Ford Fusion has sensor lock and unlock on all four door handles.

I am sure I will end up with more negatives as time goes on, but that is it so far.

Oh, and the delivery is impressive. They bring the car to your house in an enclosed trailer with glass sides and lights inside. Looks impressive and has your neighbors thinking "WFT" as they pull up, put pylons out and then back the car out. Service so far has been amazing and hopefully that continues when I need actual service done... I will post some pics later.
    Congratulations!

Think we could meet so I could check out the car / take it for a (nice) drive? I'd like to do a review for goodcarbadcar.net.

Will take some photos as well. If I get any awesome ones you're welcome to use them as you want. I'm no mbolt but I'm okay with a camera.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Congratulations!

Think we could meet so I could check out the car / take it for a (nice) drive? I'd like to do a review for goodcarbadcar.net.

Will take some photos as well. If I get any awesome ones you're welcome to use them as you want. I'm no mbolt but I'm okay with a camera.
    You would have to come to Edmonton as almost every time I am in Calgary I take the SUV. PM me if you are in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Delivery sounds pretty awesome, haha

Congrats on the car, overall I think it is a pretty good buy!
    So far no regrets with the first ~450km. Here is how they deliver the vehicle to your house:

Name:  IMG_20180428_1542250.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  111.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20180428_1545142.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  118.9 KB

"free" Genesis branded yeti mugs... not as nice as the "free gifts" I have received from BMW on purchases, but not bad lol:

Name:  IMG_20180428_1630358.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  84.1 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

when i bought my silverado they gave me a gmc branded pocket knife. I'm quite jelly of the mugs

My Ride
    K-car

Congrats! I'm totally opposite of SP when it comes to styling. I think the G70 looks clean and proper luxo/aggressive blend compared to the Singer which I find really overdone with all the fake vents and a striking similarity to the much less expensive Optima.

Either way the G70 looks great (once I finally saw one in real life) inside and out.

My Ride
    Silverado

is that nurburg green? looks great.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Himalayan Grey.

Thanks for the comments

Man oh man that looks amazing!

Congrats!

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Congrats blownz!!

7 Pages of thread and someone bought one

Did you manage to negotiate any sort of a discount or were they rather firm?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    when i bought my silverado they gave me a gmc branded pocket knife. I'm quite jelly of the mugs
    I got a pen and a lousy keychain, jealous of your pocket knife haha

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast