Quantcast
Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70 - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70

My Ride
    Axis powers

I feel that's a downfall, at least at the dealership you can see the different options and know what you're getting, bringing every car trim isn't possible
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought no Hyundai dealerships had the Genesis line? That it was delivery to your door for the entire process?
    Unfortunately, they are behind on the official "Genesis" branded dealers so several Hyundai dealers are still acting sales centres for the brand. Similar to the Equus where only select dealers had it. Country Hills Hyundai is still handling Genesis for Calgary. Edmonton has their own Genesis retailer and they are good to deal with. Ive been to the Genesis sales centre in Mississauga and its really nice as well.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Basically it is a separate dealer but attached to Country Hills Hyundai. They come to you for everything and they are more than happy to demo different from levels if you want. Service comes to you also. That’s the only dealer for Calgary, Edmonton only has one right now too. They are treating this like a direct to consumer type of model, it’s all in pricing and you actually put your order in online. It’s actually quite different than what I am used to doing when buying a car. They are really not pushy at all on things.

While Genesis is a separate brand it is still Hyundai, but if you look at the reviews especially ones like savagegeese on YouTube you can see that the platform is unique to Genesis, quite a bit so when compared to even the Stinger. I have yet to see a truly bad review of it, in terms of handling and driving enjoyment everyone really likes it.

Once I considered that, then all the options you start to get a sense of the value in the package. I am sure I will have concerns or issues but I will post my experience with the dealer here as well as the car. So far service has been pretty good, they weren’t as fast as I would like to assess trade in value.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I've watched a few youtube videos and honestly the interior is disappointing, the seats look good but the forward facing from the driver forward is lacking to me, the G70 looks like a BMW from a few years ago, the G80 looks like it was created 10 years ago
    Last edited by adam c; 09-23-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    While Genesis is a separate brand it is still Hyundai, but if you look at the reviews especially ones like savagegeese on YouTube you can see that the platform is unique to Genesis, quite a bit so when compared to even the Stinger. I have yet to see a truly bad review of it, in terms of handling and driving enjoyment everyone really likes it.
    Not sure what you mean... these cars are on the same platform; they share engines and transmissions as well.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Not sure what you mean... these cars are on the same platform; they share engines and transmissions as well.
    Wording was a bit off. It is the same platform, engine and transmission, the suspension layout and geometry is quite different from the stinger. It’s also a bit lighter, and obviously smaller. So, was trying to say it is quite a bit different in a lot of aspects although sharing the same platform.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Edmonton Outlet mall has a Genesis dealer in it. (By EIA)
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

To clarify some of this, Genesis is currently trying to distance themselves from Hyundai as much as possible. So the idea is you either look online or at a boutique store (Edmonton mall at airport, not sure if Calgary has one) and then schedule a test drive where they bring the car to you at home or work. When it comes time to buy, the entire transaction is done online (you can do it yourself or on an ipad with the GXM - Genesis Experience Manager (sales people)). They then deliver the car to you and service is done the same way with them picking up your car, leaving a loaner, then servicing your car and returning it and picking up the loaner.

Now that said, they are still working with a local Hyundai dealer for service and storage. In Edmonton they only dealer they are using is Southside Hyundai. So that is one out of I think 5 in the area. When I had my second test drive and wanted to see other colors of cars, I drove with the GXM to the Hyundai dealership and another lot close by they had for storage. So you can see other cars if needed. The Hyundai dealer also cleans the car for delivery, but they supposedly have 2 dedicated service bays and dedicated service staff although I don't expect that to be 100% true. Their ultimate goal is to have full service centers in Edmonton and Calgary within a few years.

That said, I have so far enjoyed the interaction better than any other new car purchase I have had. I had absolutely zero pressure to buy, and even after putting down a fully refundable deposit (nice dealing with Genesis Canada online rather than a sketchy dealership) and having a car ready to be delivered, they still gave me time to decide if I actually wanted the car and let me drive a loaner for another 3 hours. (at the time I was still struggling with the idea of driving a "Hyundai" verses a German car) I ended up deciding to go with the car, delivery went smoothly, no dealer finance guy trying to sell me undercoating or paint protection, just upload a photo of your insurance to Genesis Canada website, and they show up with your car and you had them a draft for the balance (made out to Genesis Canada) and the car is yours. Like I said, best experience by far for me buying a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    The Hyundai dealer also cleans the car for delivery...
    So they put a bunch of swirls in the paint for free? I wouldn't want any Hyundai dealer "cleaning" my brand new $60K car haha. Probably gets a 30 second broom-scrape by the wash bay guy. If they rely on the Hyundai dealers for the service that would also scare me.

The separation from the dealer (especially a Hyundai dealer) certainly sounds pleasant though.

I love the cars personally, they seemed extremely well built and well featured. The residual/resale would bother me though as I would never keep a car beyond 4-5 years or so. Probably an absolute bargain when they hit the used market.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Do all the Hyundai dealerships have the Genesis line or only some? I want able to get a clear answer from their site

I may be in the market for something, I have my eye on a couple Audi’s, still having a bit of trouble justifying the price of the G70 since it’s still a Hyundai underneath
    The Audi is just a VW underneath

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    So they put a bunch of swirls in the paint for free? I wouldn't want any Hyundai dealer "cleaning" my brand new $60K car haha. Probably gets a 30 second broom-scrape by the wash bay guy. If they rely on the Hyundai dealers for the service that would also scare me.

The separation from the dealer (especially a Hyundai dealer) certainly sounds pleasant though.

I love the cars personally, they seemed extremely well built and well featured. The residual/resale would bother me though as I would never keep a car beyond 4-5 years or so. Probably an absolute bargain when they hit the used market.
    Like I said it happens at the Hyundai dealership but they have (supposedly) dedicated staff. They did a really good job imo on the wash and like I mentioned I have had no issues. They also have a dedicated guy to drive the cars that is expected to treat them well.

I had the same hesitation as you but Audi/BMW/MB all have pretty bad resale as well. And with this car I have 100,000km of free service so part of the purchase price is prepaying for that. So if the value after 4-5 years is a few % points less than MB or Audi if you factor in the price of service it will probably be the same. Not to mention the purchase price is a bargain to begin with. I paid (and for the highest trim of G70) less than $60K with all taxes for a car that is arguably about 90-95% of an S5, C43, or 340 for about 80% of the price and that is before factoring in service.

It may be an "absolute bargain" as you say when they hit the used market, but then so are German cars which is why you see so many people jumping on them when used so they can look the part at a cheaper price.

I will keep this car for about 4 years or 100,000km so we will see then if I actually made a good or bad choice. But so far, I have no regrets.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    I paid (and for the highest trim of G70) less than $60K with all taxes for a car that is arguably about 90-95% of an S5, C43, or 340 for about 80% of the price and that is before factoring in service.
    This is the part that probably blows my mind the most, especially with tax included. Not the same comparison, but the MRSP for a '18 Focus RS is $60k (not that anyone would pay for that)

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    The Audi is just a VW underneath
    Sure but VW isn't in the market to be a low cost car like Hyundai

They do need to fix the interior though, there's so much wasted space around the g70 infotainment screen, should just make it go to the edges
    https://www.genesis.com/content/dam/...lery-in-03.jpg

And that G80, it's outdated, just the styling of it
    https://arabsauto.com/wp-content/upl...5088875235.jpg

And the shifter, please make it more low profile
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride

They do need to fix the interior though, there's so much wasted space around the g70 infotainment screen, should just make it go to the edges

I have heard several people say that the G80 is the Lincoln that Lincoln stopped making. Certainly they seem to have the luxury side figured out. A new G80 is supposed to be out next year, although styling looks similar to the current model.

The marketing side is interesting because VW does not market as low cost even though a lot of their models are. I find the choice by Hyundai to have “Genesis” car for several years before launching a separate Genesis brand to be an interesting marketing choice which will bite them hard for years to come.

For now, the value is there with their models, and based on test driving I am willing to give it a shot for a few years.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I definitely agree the NAV screen should be larger. Easily room for a 9-10" and that would definitely be more in line with what the German's have.

And the G80 is at the end of its life cycle and it definitely shows on the interior (exterior has held up better) so I would expect a big improvement there soon.

Please note though, just because I drive a G70 does not make me a Genesis fan. I think the G70 is an excellent bang for the buck and is comparable to a C43/S5/340 and better than the IS350, Q50 or TLX. But I don't think the same of the G80 or G90.

But I am a big fan of the new sales method and not using traditional dealerships. I hope this works for Genesis. The next two years will see a new G80 and G90, plus GV70 and GV80 SUV's so they will finally have a fairly full lineup and the G70 will be the oldest model. I personally hope they do well as that will help with my resale down the road...

My Ride

Agreed, on that assessment. Will see where it heads.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

The brown doesnt do it any favors for sure. But the black/carbon is really nice IMO.

I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by civic_stylez View Post
    The brown doesnt do it any favors for sure. But the black/carbon is really nice IMO.

Yea the black definitely looks better but the overall design still needs a change
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I have the 'old man tan' coloured interior in my '15 Genesis sedan. It's the ONLY thing that I am not sold on, but the exterior was white so I bought it anyway. As I said before, my plan is to buy a used '18 G80 Sport in a couple years. The black is interior is slick. I'd like to test drive one soon but I'm scared to because I know I'd start handing cash over immediately haha.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

Yea the black definitely looks better but the overall design still needs a change
    G80/90 still carries over Hyundai design language while G70 is all on its own (but still will identifiable Hyundait/Kia group parts, not unlike VAG).

G70's dash and infotainment screen is exactly the same as Stinger and all other recent Kia products.

I've watched a few youtube videos and honestly the interior is disappointing, the seats look good but the forward facing from the driver forward is lacking to me, the G70 looks like a BMW from a few years ago, the G80 looks like it was created 10 years ago
    Sitting in one at the car show, I would say G70 interior quality is better than Stinger and any BMW 1/2/3/4 series and on par with the new Acura RDX.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-24-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast