Quantcast
Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Genesis thread. WAS:2019 Hyundai G70

My Ride
    V8s

There's no way this is going to take sales away from the germans. Might steal some from the Acura/Infiniti crowd, like Buster said.

Also agree that it will depreciate like a rock and be a great used buy, assuming the quality is there and it doesn't fall apart after 50k.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

https://youtu.be/tSWQTkbTYIQ?t=544

"Even in sport mode, the 8-speed Automatic is not smart enough or calibrated for track work."

Not a true manual mode that will upshift at redline. Takes the fun out of the car IMO.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The criss-cross grill looks tacky. I think it would look a whole lot better if it had a nice subtle satin horizontal grill marks.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

This has the tail lights the Merc's should have had and the Merc's have the tail lights that look like they're from a kia or hyundai.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

That's like a 2012-2015 Civic coupe taillight.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Agreed, if this thing is over 50-55K I don't think it will sell.

Transmission appears to have rev matching "The eight-speed automatic shifts quickly and smartly, and it rev matches its downshifts, giving the G70’s powertrain that extra layer of smoothness." - http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ve-seoul-soul/
    Good catch, that is encouraging.

Again I think they need to price these further below the Germans than they want to take many customers, but time will tell. I don't think many buyers are going to give up the badge for $5K or even $10K+ on a more expensive model. As silly as it sounds, people still don't want to go to work and tell their coworkers they bought a Hyundai haha. I work with a bunch of guys who would never even consider this car for no other reason than that. They might have more luck pulling people away from Japanese and American competition. Also people love to lease cars they can't afford - especially in the luxury segment. If the residuals are crap, people may not want to do that either. You also have cars like the Infinity Red Sport that after incentives could be had for barely over $50K already undercutting the Germans by $10K+...it needs to be at least that low if not lower, I would think.

Personally I love everything about this thing - the looks, the interior/options, and the engine. I couldn't care less about brand and would love to own something like this at a significant discount to the competition. After the Genesis thread though, I think I'd prefer to lease haha.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    That's like a 2012-2015 Civic coupe taillight.
    I see it.

But man the new Mercedes tail lights are the worst.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Again I think they need to price these further below the Germans than they want to take many customers, but time will tell. I don't think many buyers are going to give up the badge for $5K or even $10K+ on a more expensive model. As silly as it sounds, people still don't want to go to work and tell their coworkers they bought a Hyundai haha. I work with a bunch of guys who would never even consider this car for no other reason than that. They might have more luck pulling people away from Japanese and American competition. Also people love to lease cars they can't afford - especially in the luxury segment. If the residuals are crap, people may not want to do that either. You also have cars like the Infinity Red Sport that after incentives could be had for barely over $50K already undercutting the Germans by $10K+...it needs to be at least that low if not lower, I would think.
    I had no idea you could get a Red Sport for just over 50K if that's the case then yah this thing needs to be in the 40's at most.

I had no idea you could get a Red Sport for just over 50K if that's the case then yah this thing needs to be in the 40's at most.
    Yeah Infinity was offering ~$7500-$8500 off MSRP depending on the month. No idea if those promos are still on or not, but my dad almost bought one so we were very familiar with the pricing. They were around $52K with the options most people would want. The G70 probably has a better interior but the rest is pretty similar between the two. The G70 in the $40's with the big motor would be crazy good value, but I don't think it will be that cheap even if it needs to be. That is Acura TL territory and I'm sure it's 10X more fun.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-27-2017 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

When I talked to the guy at Kia at the last car show he said that the faster Stinger was starting over $50 K which seemed absolutely insane to me. Over 50K for Kia?

Can't imagine this will be any cheaper than that, which is stupid on their part.

I have a Genesis Coupe, I love it, but I love it because I got it for $27 K as there are definitely some fit and finish issues with it (only one failed sensor so far in over 100K km though). I would never consider spending over $40 K for a Hyundai unless it was a fully loaded Santa Fe XL or something, definitely not a small sedan/coupe.

The G70 looks great but unless it starts in the 40's, it's a non-starter to me. Maybe if it offered a normal stick shift, I'd take it over an Acura TLX Sh-awd.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...stinger-price/

The 3.3-liter twin-turbo 365-horsepower V6 model will cost you $39,895. That car comes standard with LED headlights and a flat-bottom steering wheel, but if you want any of that other premium trim stuff, you'll have to option the GT1 trim, which starts at $44,395.

The top-tier GT2 starts at $50,395, and is the only trim to include a 16-way power driver's seat and a limited-slip differential. The GT2 trim also gets a a head-up display, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control standard. Any Stinger model can be equipped with all-wheel drive for $2200.

So $52,595USD MSRP for a fully loaded AWD Kia Stinger GT What have these guys been smoking.

I take it a G70 would be similar in pricing.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Kia and Genesis both elicited chuckles from me at the auto show this past April.

Fully loaded G80 for 95k? Who do you think you are?

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

That 40 Grand base price in that road and track article is american.

It'll start well above 50K here by the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Kia and Genesis both elicited chuckles from me at the auto show this past April.

Fully loaded G80 for 95k? Who do you think you are?
    The way they see it, they are competing with the $150K Germans, so in their eyes they are offering you an absolute bargain. The problem is that nobody with $95K to spend is buying a Hyundai/Kia even if they can offer a similar value proposition. That's one reason why they spun off the Genesis brand. People care about brand way too much, even though Hyundai/Kia has come a ridiculously long way from when they were truly making garbage. Honda was there too back in the day, but they seemed to have an easier time changing people's opinions. For whatever reason, people just can't seem to get over the brand once price crosses a certain threshold and I think that threshold is lower in sports/prestige/luxury cars than it is with SUV's like the Santa Fe.

I'm guessing they won't sell well only due to price and they will be heavily discounted like the original Genesis' were, but we'll see. Or, if Hyundai subsidizes the used value and offers high residual leases (like Cadillac does) I could see them doing OK, but that's not a great business plan.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    When I talked to the guy at Kia at the last car show he said that the faster Stinger was starting over $50 K which seemed absolutely insane to me. Over 50K for Kia?
    The Stinger ballpark msrp prices are already on the kia website. http://www.kia.ca/stinger2018

"Under $50,000" for the top model GT Limited and "Under $45,000" for the regular GT

The 2.0T models could be in the high 30s.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    The Stinger ballpark msrp prices are already on the kia website. http://www.kia.ca/stinger2018

"Under $50,000" for the top model GT Limited and "Under $45,000" for the regular GT

If they actually end up keeping the GT Limited "Starting Under 50" like that link says then it looks like they'd be cheaper here than in the US.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...stinger-price/
    So $52,595USD MSRP for a fully loaded AWD Kia Stinger GT What have these guys been smoking.

I take it a G70 would be similar in pricing.
    I think they need to revisit their strategy. How long did Hyundai suffered selling luxury cars until they try spinning Genesis off to it's own brand? Kia is repeating the same mistakes?

If the Stinger is going against E/5/A6 class, it's a bargain at $52K. But still that badge still doesn't command that kind of price.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I think they need to revisit their strategy. How long did Hyundai suffered selling luxury cars until they try spinning Genesis off to it's own brand? Kia is repeating the same mistakes?

If the Stinger is going against E/5/A6 class, it's a bargain at $52K. But still that badge still doesn't command that kind of price.
    But they'll sell a few (heavily discounted), and then those will hit the used market with awesome depreciation, and then folks like me will pick them up 2 years later for half what they were new and laugh all the way to the track.

Works for me. IDGAF about brand. 365hp TT AWD fastback? Fuck yea.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The way they see it, they are competing with the $150K Germans, so in their eyes they are offering you an absolute bargain. The problem is that nobody with $95K to spend is buying a Hyundai/Kia even if they can offer a similar value proposition. That's one reason why they spun off the Genesis brand. People care about brand way too much, even though Hyundai/Kia has come a ridiculously long way from when they were truly making garbage. Honda was there too back in the day, but they seemed to have an easier time changing people's opinions. For whatever reason, people just can't seem to get over the brand once price crosses a certain threshold and I think that threshold is lower in sports/prestige/luxury cars than it is with SUV's like the Santa Fe.

I'm guessing they won't sell well only due to price and they will be heavily discounted like the original Genesis' were, but we'll see. Or, if Hyundai subsidizes the used value and offers high residual leases (like Cadillac does) I could see them doing OK, but that's not a great business plan.
    Honda created its name for quality during a time when the Big3 were making truly atrocious product. Hyundai was making its name during a time when the Japanese were making decent cars, and the Americans were starting to figure it out.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post

Is Canada even getting the smaller engine?

People are always shocked by new car prices. We live in a world where a new Camry V6 is close to $45,000 otd. Low 50k for these sedans is good pricing still.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast