Quantcast
Germany/Swizterland/Austria - Honeymoon - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Germany/Swizterland/Austria - Honeymoon

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Default Germany/Swizterland/Austria - Honeymoon

Hello beyond,

I am looking at going on my honeymoon between January-March and we were thinking about going to Germany/Swizterland and potentially Austria for a romantic ski trip.

I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on resorts to see, places to stay and other things to do. We will want to be skiing about 3-4 days/week.

Thanks!

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Budget and level of luxury will be a big factor as some resorts and towns are very expensive and others are somewhat reasonable.

I would start here: http://www.swissvacations.com/pages/en/zurich_attractions.html. Trains are crazy efficient and are always on time. If you want to stay in civilization, Zurich as a Hub makes sense. I would also make a point of seeing Lake Geneva.

Swiss Ski hills to not miss would be Verbier and Davos, more romantic and less serious skiing would be Murren. Zermatt has views of "the Matterhorn" and is more of a party location for night time.
    Austria: check out Silvretta arena, notably Ischgl has some pretty interesting cable cars and there are several mountain choices to keep things interesting.

In Switzerland brush up on your French or German, making an effort goes a long way with the locals. English is pretty easy to come by almost everywhere though.

I am not familiar with Ski hill sin Germany, maybe someone else on here is. I am sure they have excellent slopes.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Not sure as I haven't snowboarded in Germany or Switzerland but I was in Austria at Obertauern for a week and loved it, we had a cabin right by the hill, you can ski all 7 peaks..

I did it during Ski week ( https://www.theskiweek.com/obertauern-austria ) but I'd recommend you do not go at that time for a Honeymoon, it's a big party on the hill won't be "romanic" so possibly check the dates first if you decide on going there..
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Obertauern was great as its relatively close to Salzburg. Flachau was also quite nice. Be prepared though for a gong show at lifts as they have no idea about lift lines and its every man woman and child for themselves. people will trample over your skiis.

If you get a chance, hit up Zermatt. One of the most epic resorts I have ever been to. Be prepared to drop a lot of sheckles though. Taking a cog train up the mountain is so unique and fun and theres little pubs with decks and goat skin covered chairs everywhere on the mountains.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Came across this link today while checking where/when this years Warren Miller film will be hosted, might be useful:

http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/travel

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Check out Romantik Hotel Boglerhoff in Alpbach Austria. Went there with the wife a few years back although it was not in winter. Beautiful area and the 5 different saunas, huge indoor/outdoor warm pool and cold water fall/pool straight from the mountain next to the finnish sauna was awesome. https://www.boeglerhof.at/en
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Awesome, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! Gives me a fair bit to look into. Looks like 2 weeks might be too little for 3 countries. Perhaps we will just do Switzerland/Austria.

Our budget is around $25k. With that being said, we have traveled out of vans for months at a time and do not have a problem roughing it when we don't see value in where we are staying/eating/etc.

My Ride
    Horse

If you go to Ischgl, save it for at least February. They didn't have much snow when I went last year at the end of December and people say most of it comes down in February and March.

Also, if you're going to learn some German, you might still have difficulty in Switzerland. Their German is "interesting"

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Well, we've decided to do a totally different trip.

We are thinking of doing Calgary - Hawaii and staying in Oahu north shore for 5 days, and then flying over to Japan for 10 days to do some skiing. Any suggestions on how to spend those 10 days in Japan? Apologies for derailing my own thread!

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

We did a month long vacation in Europe Last year and did Zermatt over Christmas, it was perfect. +5-10 in the day, perfect for hiking and touristing around the town.

We took 1 day to snowboard ( mainly because my Husband didn't really know how to snowboard, ending up breaking his wrist...lol ) We ended up renting a board, boots and helmets ( board + boots = $60 + $15 helmet ) Ski tickets costed about $65 each.

The sky was perfectly clear with epic views of the Matterhorn. The town of Zermatt is a little more expensive.

We ended up staying at Hotel Bellirive ( https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...wiss_Alps.html ) and paid $350 / night with breakfast included ( which was amazing BTW )

Usually after breakfast we were fairly full and only ate lunch 2/5 days we were there ( we shared an app and main, with 2 drinks each ) it came to around $80 CND for lunch.

Supper was a little different - because we wanted to try lots of food we usually got 2 apps, 2 mains, 1 dessert and many drinks - our bills were around $90-$150 CND. There are SOOOO MANY cheese, meat and chocolate fondue places and they were all top notch. ( google maps, trip advisor and yelp will give so many reviews you have to listen to them )

We ended up hiking up one of the mountains for about a 5 hour rounder and when we were up 1/4 of the way there was a small ski village with some of the best dessert lunches we have ever had!

Last edited by KPHMPH; 10-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Booked a round trip from Calgary-Zürich for August and was wondering if anybody has suggestions on how to spend 10 days?

Thanks!

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I'm currently over here right now, and there is so much to do over here, it really depends on your preferences, and what you like doing.

If you are in Zurich on the 11th of August, it will be insanely busy. They have their street parade going on at that time, and it's really crowded. Usually a good time though.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Booked a round trip from Calgary-Zürich for August and was wondering if anybody has suggestions on how to spend 10 days?

Thanks!
    50/50 Hiking and eating cheese?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    50/50 Hiking and eating cheese?
    That’s pretty much what we’ve planned!! Haha.

Thanks for the info rob. We both like adventure/outdoors and the occasional wining and dining. Mainly just wanting to see some beautiful scenery!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Enjoy! And congrats!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.