Quantcast
Corporation tax laws on passive income - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Corporation tax laws on passive income

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

What I want to know is how does this compare vs having a rrsp?

Sheltered tax growth for 30 years vs keeping money in my business for passive investments.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the tax rate on the first $50M of passive income is going to be the lower rater, and then over $50M of income will engage the new rules? Am I reading that right?
    I have read several articles that seem to have conflicting info. But I think it is the first $50,000 you make on passive income is taxed at the lower level and everything above that is at the higher level. So roughly $1M earning 5% is fine. But over that you are too rich and need to pay your fair share.

Note I am not 100% on that yet. Most of the reporters don't seem to know what they are saying lol

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Sheltered tax growth for 30 years vs keeping money in my business for passive investments.

Difference is how your money will get taxed when it's time to pull out after your 30-50 years worth of savings

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Quote Originally Posted by JudasJimmy View Post
    He probable should have just left it alone. 40 yrs of fine tuning, it was already fair for everyone. The money he has already spent on this would be more than enough to cover a few more donations.

But to be a little more fair, passive income should be allowed up to 80K (reasonable for retirement, also makes you ineligible for old age pension etc.). Everyone's RRSP contributions should be taxes at %15 (Same as small business). Now everyone is paying their fair share, except of course the rich and large corporations. Which Trudeau seems to be giving money to.
    This is probably more information than anyone cares to know about OAS but the current rules are: the income threshold before clawback for the 2016 tax year is $73,756. Any amount over this is subject to a 15% clawback (at $80k your monthly payment would be reduced by ~$78 or ~$936/year). The point where you would no longer receive an OAS payment (if you elect to receive at age 65) would be at $119,400 of gross income. You also have the option to split your pension income with a spouse to reduce your gross income to avoid the clawback (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Have you considered starting an IPP (Individual pension plan)? these are a great option for self employed individuals whom are ineligible for an RRSP account. Talk to an accountant or a financial planner as it operates in a similar fashion to an RSP (sheltered growth) and the contributions can be deductible from the company income if it is done properly. There is a cost to set up and administer the IPP, however the cost is offset by the sheltered growth. If this passive income law comes in to pay I would not at all be surprised if they wipe out the option to open new IPP plans as well.
    Last edited by bh87; 10-19-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    I have read several articles that seem to have conflicting info. But I think it is the first $50,000 you make on passive income is taxed at the lower level and everything above that is at the higher level. So roughly $1M earning 5% is fine. But over that you are too rich and need to pay your fair share.

Note I am not 100% on that yet. Most of the reporters don't seem to know what they are saying lol
    If i had an annual income of $50K from passive income, i'd be laughing.

Met with our accountant on Thursday. As it stands now the wording is so all encompassing that even banking account interest is considered to be passive. Not a big deal for us as we only keep about $500K in there at any given time but for other companies with larger payrolls this is something they will need to keep an eye on.

Apparently they might even backtrack on income sprinkling to some extent.

There is also some thought that almost none of these measures will be made into even draft legislation because the bureaucrats are really struggling with appropriate wording.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Met with our accountant on Thursday. As it stands now the wording is so all encompassing that even banking account interest is considered to be passive. Not a big deal for us as we only keep about $500K in there at any given time but for other companies with larger payrolls this is something they will need to keep an eye on.

Apparently they might even backtrack on income sprinkling to some extent.

There is also some thought that almost none of these measures will be made into even draft legislation because the bureaucrats are really struggling with appropriate wording.
    So after the apologetic tax cut. Are all these BS still going forward as planned or more back tracking so we just end up even less tax revenue than when this started?

I have to say, what a bunch of fucking idiots to stir this pot.

The small business tax rate cut makes them lose billions in revenue, so in the end they will make far less.

These measures were, best case, supposed to bring in about $250million in new revenue. It was more about "fairness" or some other bullshit.

The Liberals have moved on to diabetics now. Yay, Trudeau.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3818585/l...s-critics-say/

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

This is hilarious in showing how inept the liberals are. Way to completely cock it up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3