Quantcast
Family vehicle recommendation - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Family vehicle recommendation

My Ride
    is broken

Agreed Winter tires > AWD. Its a shame that more FWD dont have differentials or active wheel control. Most of those little Hondas you see failing up hill are usually spinning one wheel drive.
    With two drive wheels and winters tires your basically unstoppable.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed Winter tires > AWD.
    Why does everyone keep saying this (or similar)? You guys do know you can put winters on an AWD vehicle right? It isn't one or the other.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Agreed Winter tires > AWD. Its a shame that more FWD dont have differentials or active wheel control. Most of those little Hondas you see failing up hill are usually spinning one wheel drive.
    With two drive wheels and winters tires your basically unstoppable.
    Out of curiosity, what FWD vehicles have this?

My Ride
    Silverado

^ many fwd cars over the years have come with them.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Why does everyone keep saying this (or similar)? You guys do know you can put winters on an AWD vehicle right? It isn't one or the other.
    Its actually common for most non-car people to think AWD solves all of winters' issues. "I have AWD therefore I dont need winter tires" is a belief shared by a frighteningly large percentage of the population.

My Ride
    is broken

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what FWD vehicles have this?
    Off the top of my head:

Integra Type R
    Speed3
    Mini Coopers
    Sentra SE-R, Alitma, V6 Solaras
    Many Audi and VWs

But more cars these days use "active braking" wherein they brake the loose tire and transfer power. Its not going to win you any races but it will get you up the hill.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by z24_wheels View Post
    I will have a look at the Odyssey as well. I have a FWD Sienna now and it has problems. It's hard on brakes (they didn't engineer it properly and the brakes are too small), tire wear is very high (again, poor engineering). Perhaps the next gen is better, should look at that. As I mentioned previously, I didn't go AWD Sienna due to the lack of spare (the center diff takes up that space) and it was recommended you use run flat$ as a result. I would assume the same issue exists in the Odyssey, but I don't know for sure.

As for the debate on AWD. I like it. If I have to move cause I see a vehicle sliding towards my ass, AWD helps me move out of the way. Yes, it doesn't help me stop, but it gets me out of trouble (and perhaps into trouble - too cocky, LOL).

Not too worked up about cargo space between minivan and SUV. We didn't really fill the van up often enough (outside of infant seats) to justify staying with that platform.
    Odyssey doesn't come with an AWD option so it won't have the center diff storage problems. Ours doesn't have RFT and has an actual spare tire but I'm not sure if they went to RFT in later years. We have had ours since 2012 and have had studded snow tires on it for winter since the beginning. It has had 0 issues thus far, but I do have complaints about brakes and tires as well. Pads and rotors last about 65,000kms. The OEM all seasons are virtually done after about 40,000kms of use, but the van came with absolute garbage Continental Conti Pro Contacts so no big loss replacing them.

Yeah. I have winters on the van. It still isn't great. Maybe Michelins are shit. Which led me to winters plus awd.

Awd sienna don't have a spare, which sucks.
    This was my experience also; Michelins are shit. I like Nokian and Blizzaks over X-Ice.

The Sienna was awesome in the snow, but run flats+ no spare sucks.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

CX9.

/Thread

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    This was my experience also; Michelins are shit. I like Nokian and Blizzaks over X-Ice.

The Sienna was awesome in the snow, but run flats+ no spare sucks.
    The run flats on my Sienna were bald at 30,000kms, I replaced them with regular tires and bought the space saver spare from a FWD to throw in the back. If I get a flat around town, the space saver would only be used to get the car home.

I also have a dedicated set of winter tires mounted on wheels, for long road trips I can throw one of those in the back to make sure I am running the same diameter overall on the wheels when traveling over real distance.

I also have an XC90, it is old now and was originally owned by my Dad. I like it and it is a solid vehicle, but as it ages it will have its minor issues. Parts are pricey and it is only really cost effective if you can do the work yourself.

If I have to go anywhere with the family, I'd take the Sienna anyday.
    Last edited by mrsingh; 10-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

A comment for you folks with tire wear issues - I would consult a specific discussion group for the vehicle as there might be an after market mod to alleviate this.

An example is my wife's Mazda5 minivan - it comes with excessive rear toe in/out (cant recall which) from the factory to help with stability, but at the expense of retarded inner tire surface wear. The fix is an adjustable linkage for the rear wheels, 300$ for both parts. However, some folks have stated that running the rear tires at max sidewall pressure also negates the issue.

Otherwise, an excellent vehicle for all weather, with proper tires.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    A comment for you folks with tire wear issues - I would consult a specific discussion group for the vehicle as there might be an after market mod to alleviate this.

An example is my wife's Mazda5 minivan - it comes with excessive rear toe in/out (cant recall which) from the factory to help with stability, but at the expense of retarded inner tire surface wear. The fix is an adjustable linkage for the rear wheels, 300$ for both parts. However, some folks have stated that running the rear tires at max sidewall pressure also negates the issue.

Otherwise, an excellent vehicle for all weather, with proper tires.
    there are TONS of used options and is dependant on your tolerance for KMs

I believe any cars newer than 2011 all have that active skid control, or torque vectoring which makes all cars, especially FWD very capable and safe with the right tires for the condition

IMO the cheapest 3 row for a reasonably capable AWD vehicle is a Traverse (period). Not that this is a particularly great platform, its not unreliable, its roomy and it has AWD and being the cheapest of the Lambda platform, also being domestic, means you can get into a low KM one for a VERY competitive price when compared to any other vehicle in its segment.

Honestly, the Mazda CX-7 or 9 scare me... I've heard all sorts of quality and fit issues

IF you are going the 4x4 platform route, there are lots of options but not at your price point unless you can find an old cheap Pathfinder, which are reasonably reliable as well.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Kms are starting to get up there, but could be an option in the $10-11k range.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

I have a FWD Sienna now and it has problems. It's hard on brakes (they didn't engineer it properly and the brakes are too small), tire wear is very high (again, poor engineering).
    What year is your Sienna?
    Last edited by mrsingh; 10-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.

2006. Lots of great discussion here!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

What about a Lexus LX470? It will be way older, but their reputation speaks for itself. You'll have to look for a 2000-2003 in that price range, but keep your eye out for 1/2 owner trucks as people keep them forever

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've heard of looking for one owner vehicles, but it seems to be wishful thinking to hope to find something that has had HALF an owner . . .

I'll show myself out . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I've heard of looking for one owner vehicles, but it seems to be wishful thinking to hope to find something that has had HALF an owner . . .

I'll show myself out . . . . .
    Is someone under 4'5" considered half an owner??

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

We have a 08 MDX. Like it quite a bit but might go to a Mini van when baby 2 comes. Easier to get in and out, more storage, and have sliding doors so the kiddos don't ding the doors.

The X Ice we have on various cars were good. The X Ice on my MDX is not as good as the Hakkas I had before. As for studded snow tires, I don't know. It's nice to be able to stop well but on good % of days when roads are dry or pretty bared it would hinder gas mileage, and make that ticking sound.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    We have a 08 MDX. Like it quite a bit but might go to a Mini van when baby 2 comes. Easier to get in and out, more storage, and have sliding doors so the kiddos don't ding the doors.

The X Ice we have on various cars were good. The X Ice on my MDX is not as good as the Hakkas I had before. As for studded snow tires, I don't know. It's nice to be able to stop well but on good % of days when roads are dry or pretty bared it would hinder gas mileage, and make that ticking sound.
    Do you actually think studded tires hurt your mileage in a measurable way? I'd be very surprised, but if you have a reliable source for this info, I'd be equally interested to learn more about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3