Quantcast
Sleds, sleds sleds... mountain sleds? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sleds, sleds sleds... mountain sleds?

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

For sure they do require a lot of power, doubt there is anyone out there that would say they don't need anymore. Just with the loss from elevation they all could use more... 160HP sled is like 110 at elevation.

Trail sleds are for sure built heavy... They are made so you can tow things, rail corners, have 2 people on them etc. Mountain sleds aren't meant for this.

The M8 Chassis is good don't get me wrong, I actually started on one... But everything just takes so much more effort in comparison to any of the new chassis's. They still climb extremely well, but spend an hour boon docking the in trees and you will for sure know it, you could couldn't do it all day unless you are a beast.

Renting is really the way to go, do some searching out there and find some good rates. 320 bucks sounds like a lot, but again is nothing when you think about depreciation, maintenance, towing them out there, etc.

Lots of fun to be had in those area's, forester creek is a great place for beginners as well. Great area after Feb 15 as well, lots of fun to be had up on the glacier.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

what do you guys think about a sled like this one?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/c...0lt/1306815970
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Tacoma and a motorized toboggan

if you just want a reliable sled to get out and cruise on the trails with a passenger it looks like a really good deal and a great way to get in to the sport. But if you are hoping for either a fast ditch banger or something good off trail you will find it lacking.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by 13TTFX4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if you just want a reliable sled to get out and cruise on the trails with a passenger it looks like a really good deal and a great way to get in to the sport. But if you are hoping for either a fast ditch banger or something good off trail you will find it lacking.
    well, anything i get needs to be able to take a passenger with me as probably 90% of the time I will have either Baygirl or the kids with me. so as such, I don't want to be doing anything crazy. But I think taking them out and cruising the back country would be awesome, hence why i am looking at that sled. are there any other options that might be better than this one?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    well, anything i get needs to be able to take a passenger with me as probably 90% of the time I will have either Baygirl or the kids with me. so as such, I don't want to be doing anything crazy. But I think taking them out and cruising the back country would be awesome, hence why i am looking at that sled. are there any other options that might be better than this one?
    I think if there is any amount of fresh snow you will be struggling with that machine. But depends where you are planning to go riding.

If you are thinking Golden, and there is the potential to have more than 1 foot of fresh snow, you wont be able to ascend any sort of hill, especially with a passenger on the back.

If you are just wanting to hit up Cataract Creek/Etherington, that machine would be fine. However Cataract is limited area wise unless you feel like getting really far back.

You sound like a bigger guy so i would stick with an 800 cc engine. especially with a passenger. Definitely would not go shorter than 145" track. Preferable to stick with 154. which limits you a little more to a "mountain" machaine. However this at least that gives you an opportunity to cruise up to the summit if there isnt a cat track. As said, Quartz creek is an excellent area, where it would be fairly easy to summit some peaks and get some amazing views. I dont think that would be possible with that machine you posted unless it was spring or a trail was significantly rode out for you.

My scenario is a little different. My group all started riding 153" tracks. Then we had amazing luck and would hit 2-3 stupid deep days every year, so we all upgraded to 163" and 174" with 3" tracks.... they arent always needed, BUT on the days where they are, it sucks to be the guy on the 154" 2.5" track who is constantly stuck and cant get anywhere.

And the days they are needed, your cheeks hurt more than anywhere else from the shit eatting grin you have. Point being, get a machine that is more capable than you are planning, because it sucks so much to spend all that time and money to get out there, and not be able to go where you want to go when conditions are at an all time......
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 10-24-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    LNF

What will be your main riding area?

When you have a passenger, you are very limited with where you can go. IMO, when you have a passenger, you should stick with fairly groomed trails. And in that case, I would go with a 145" track and a 800 engine.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

I agree with what has been said. Something like a Renegade/Titan/High Country Crossover sled would be optimal. 14x-15x" Track, try to stay at least at a 800 engine, and a 2" paddle would give you the best balance of what you are looking for.

Any less than that and as guys have said you could get stuck on the trail in some days... At least with these machines you will be able to make it into the alpine and can still enjoy the snow.

It does take a good rider to be able to ride with a passenger though, you have to be quite agressive with your steering inputs in deep snow, just keep that in mind. It can for sure be done, just takes a bit of practice.

My Ride

there truly is a big divide amongst the different sled segments so figuring out what type of sledding you want to do first is imperative. If you are wanting a more aggressive sled but need a seat you can double up on ski-doo seats are all quick release from the xp onwards so you could buy a double seat you could just pop on when you want to take a passenger out.

or you could even look into the burton summit it was built with a few added features for doubling.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by blubs View Post
    Honestly the best place to learn and to bring families is Quartz Creek. Its a super short trail (~7km if I remember right) and most of the terrain is pretty forgiving. Quartz has lots of nice meadows, large bowls, and some easy pulls to get you comfortable on the sled. Only downside is because of this it can be busy, but that typically isn't a big deal when you are starting... You won't be able to crush too many areas that fast when you are getting stuck haha. Theres many other areas out there that you can get into that don't give you much of an option in regards to getting out.... Basically force you to pull a big climb, make a sidehill etc or don't get out etc...
    I don't disagree, if you're bringing your own sled.
    Plus the novelty of the cabin up top, for socializing, and chilling in. Bit of break-dancing, climbing some of the trees along the end of the trail, but you can always reset. The trail is alot longer than 7km; Feels you're WOT (almost) for 10 minutes riding back.

Good shredding up in the alpine in Quartz too. The shoulder towards the SE, and the Trees to the West. I've seen lots of slides up there though, so be prepared.
    ps OP, keep your friends close, and make good with your shovel. As a newb you're gonna get stuck alot.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    In that instance, go sled St Mary's Road near Kimberley. Make your base at the parking lot near the Lake, and go for some long cruises on the Lake. Once comfortable, go all the way to Kootenay Lake.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    I don't disagree, if you're bringing your own sled.
    Plus the novelty of the cabin up top, for socializing, and chilling in. Bit of break-dancing, climbing some of the trees along the end of the trail, but you can always reset. The trail is alot longer than 7km; Feels you're WOT (almost) for 10 minutes riding back.

Good shredding up in the alpine in Quartz too. The shoulder towards the SE, and the Trees to the West. I've seen lots of slides up there though, so be prepared.
    ps OP, keep your friends close, and make good with your shovel. As a newb you're gonna get stuck alot.
    It's 14km round trip or one way I was told. I can't remember but my guess is 7km one way.

hrm... so I'm thinking of something shorter than a 15x and a dual purpose that I can ride 2 up with my son(s) or with the smaller one if I get him a snow skoot/kittycat... and being able to get through a couple of feet of snow without necessarily hitting the glades in Golden.

are there any used options you guys would recommend in regards to reliability?

Also Is there any decent trail riding nearby?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-29-2018 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

If you are wanting something that will get through a few feet of fresh snow, id be staying a 146"ish track. If you aren't really concerned about a few feet of fresh you could go down to a 137 or something.

Take a read through my post about some of the used ones in the first pages, but most of the machines are pretty reliable within the last 4-5 years.

Im sure theres some trails down in the Crowsnest pass area. Most guys (myself included) try to keep the trails to an absolute minimum to get up into the riding areas. For the Kitty Cats id imagine that Waiperous would have enough snow this year to get them out and going at least.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

For those of you looking for crossovers, your answer is here. Ski doo released a new 50/50 crossover last night.

https://www.ski-doo.com/snowmobiles/backcountry.html

My Ride

The concept behind the crossovers is great but if you have ever rode a renegade backcountry x(what this replaces) you know its still not nearly as capable as a mountain sled. I always tell people decide what you actually want the sled for mountain/trail/boondocking and deal with the shortcomings in the other areas. I have rode my mountain sled locally a total of 5 times over the last two years so I deal with the fact its not great on the trail.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

I totally agree with that. Its funny how many people think they translate over so well... Mountain sleds are actually horrible on the trails, they want to fall over all the time, skis just wash out etc. Same with trying to ride a trail sled in the powder, just is near impossible.

That being said though, family friends of ours just bought a crossover and are very happy with it... That being said they just puts around a lake and in some meadows, no big mountain climbs where I am sure they would struggle.

All these new sleds, monster HP, six mile long tracks..

I rode a 00 Summit 700 with a 144 for years, and that thing was bulletproof and went everywhere. Been thinking about getting a new sled...just so much has changed. It's funny how used to these high power sleds people are now. I remember when the 02 Vertical Escape RMK was unstoppable, and probably still could go everywhere.

That said, I think the Freeride would be my choice if I did go new(er). Probably just end up with another early 00s Summit or RMK VE.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    All these new sleds, monster HP, six mile long tracks..
    No kidding, the last sled I rode was a '79 Arctic Cat El Tigre, everything now looks like it came from outer space in comparison.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Bump. Name:  IMG_6961.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  28.6 KB

The new Polaris 850 has crazy power compared to the any 800's. But if I was buying, it would buy a single beam. It is just too good and easy to maneuver. Haven't tried a turbo doo yet though.
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 02-21-2021 at 11:00 AM.

I picked up a m8000 alpha this year and it's crazy how much more maneuverable they are, climbing is harder but everything else is so much easier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast