Quantcast
Porsche Mission E Spy Photos Emerge, Complete With Tesla In Pursuit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Porsche Mission E Spy Photos Emerge, Complete With Tesla In Pursuit

My Ride
    95B

Default Porsche Mission E Spy Photos Emerge, Complete With Tesla In Pursuit

Name:  2020-porsche-mission-e-spy-photo.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  81.3 KB
    Name:  2020-porsche-mission-e-spy-photo-4.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  86.7 KB
    Name:  2020-porsche-mission-e-spy-photo-3.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  89.6 KB
    Name:  2020-porsche-mission-e-spy-photo-5.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  2020-porsche-mission-e-spy-photo-1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  77.2 KB

Those exhaust tips don’t serve a purpose, and oh, hello Tesla.
    If you are a fan of the Mission E concept, there is a good chance you are going to appreciate the production model as well. Sure, it won’t have the suicide doors, nor will it get cameras instead of mirrors, but it seems the overall shape and styling is going to be carried over. Spotted for the first time carrying the production body, the all-electric sedan will have an almost coupe-like roofline lending it a sleek side profile.

Both prototypes had extra layers of camouflage on the LED headlights and taillights to hide their designs, but even so we can get an idea about the shape of the clusters. The fake stickers applied at the front have been imprinted with the headlight design from the Panamera, but you can actually see the real ones underneath and these look just about as futuristic as the ones the concept had.

At the back, the taillights are a more conventional setup with clusters on each side rather than the full-width LED strip of the showcar from 2015. To try and trick us into believing it’s a prototype powered by a combustion engine, Porsche slapped on a pair of exhaust finishers, but these were not connected to any real exhaust pipes and were there just for décor.

Overall, it seems Porsche will indeed live up to the promise made last year about the road-going model retaining most of the concept’s appearance by saying the exterior “will be very similar.” Company CEO, Oliver Blume, specified that while carrying over the suicide doors would be a “hard problem,” the engineers are working on something “very close.” This test vehicle seems to have a conventional setup, unless the additional disguise on the C-pillars is hiding a secret.

Not only will it have just about the same styling, but it will also feature similar technical specifications as the concept before it. That means its battery pack will have enough juice for up to 311 miles (500 kilometers) in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), like about 250 miles/400 km real-world/EPA estimated, and will feature the Porsche Turbo Charging system able to recharge the battery to an 80-percent in 15 minutes or so by using an 800-volt fast charger.

Codenamed “J1,” the road-ready Mission E is slated to have roughly the same 600+ horsepower (440 kilowatts) coming from a pair of electric motors in the same vein as the concept, which needed 3.5 seconds to complete the 0-62 mph (0-100 kph) task. There will be more than just one version of the Mission E as several power outputs are being planned, along with over-the-air updates like Tesla is providing for its EVs. Some of these OTA updates could come bundled with an increase in power, according to Oliver Blume.

The cheapest Mission E money will buy is going to cost approximately $85,000 (like a base Panamera) once the zero-emissions sedan will go on sale late 2019. Further down the line, it could be joined by other body style if the sedan will prove to be a success.

To make it all happen, Porsche is spending a whopping €1 billion ($1.17M) and is creating more than 1,000 jobs.

https://insideevs.com/first-porsche-...photos-emerge/

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Looks good! I think it could steal a bunch of market share from Tesla by doing basically the same thing, just better build quality and a more prominent recognized name.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Spent 2 weeks in a Tesla Model S. It definitely feel like a $50K car with $100K car performance that costs $150K. Then it crashed on me and I had to reboot both screens while I was going at 80mph. Driving dark for almost 5 min (4 mins to search google on how to reboot and 1 min to reboot both screen) isn't that fun. And I'm suppose to trust these guys with autopilot?

I really hope companies that actually know how to make cars comes into the EV market. Still I think what will keep EV as a niche is battery tech. Even with Supercharger, you only get 150 miles 30mins of charge (40mins for the last 50miles when battery is over 80% charged) and even in California, gas station outnumber Supercharger 3:1. It's just a glorify train at this point and you have 0 freedom to drive wherever you want.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-05-2017 at 07:20 PM.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spent 2 weeks in a Tesla Model S. It definitely feel like a $50K car with $100K car performance that costs $150K. Then it crashed on me and I had to reboot both screens while I was going at 80mph. Driving dark for almost 5 min (4 mins to search google on how to reboot and 1 min to reboot both screen) isn't that fun. And I'm suppose to trust these guys with autopilot?

I really hope companies that actually know how to make cars comes into the EV market. Still I think what will keep EV as a niche is battery tech. Even with Supercharger, you only get 150 miles 30mins of charge (40mins for the last 50miles when battery is over 80% charged) and even in California, gas station to Supercharger is almost 3:1. It's just a glorify train at this point and you have 0 freedom to drive wherever you want.
    WTF??? How are these things on the road?
    More of the mainstream car manufacturers are taking the EV seriously. I hope these guys makes a decent EV vehicle at a decent price.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    WTF??? How are these things on the road?
    More of the mainstream car manufacturers are taking the EV seriously. I hope these guys makes a decent EV vehicle at a decent price.
    The car still drives, autopilot still works (I think) when there’s a UI crash.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The car still drives, autopilot still works (I think) when there’s a UI crash.
    Car still drives. Speedo froze, everything on the center screen looks responsive but nothing works. There is no way to mute the audio stream so I couldn't use ok google on my phone.

Lucky I ran into LA traffic on I5 and I was able to slow down enough to find out the reboot sequence via google on phone. There was no shoulder to stop on due to road work for miles.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-05-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:32 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    An serious electric Porsche that is similar in price to Tesla but made by people who actually know how to build a proper car?

Yeah... good night Tesla, was nice knowing you, lol!
    But Tesla invented the electric car and is changing the world!

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I haven't compared them side by side because why would I actually put any effort in, but I feel like I see a lot of Dodge Charger in the back of that car.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Those exhast tips are speed holes.. lol Reminded me of this..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    An serious electric Porsche that is similar in price to Tesla but made by people who actually know how to build a proper car?

Yeah... good night Tesla, was nice knowing you, lol!
    Until VW build out a 800V charging network that beat Tesla's both in charging speed and locations, that's not going to happen.

Or Shell get serious about this and get DC fast charging to all stations:
    https://electrek.co/2017/02/01/shell...-gas-stations/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Until VW build out a 800V charging network that beat Tesla's both in charging speed and locations, that's not going to happen.

Or Shell get serious about this and get DC fast charging to all stations:
    https://electrek.co/2017/02/01/shell...-gas-stations/
    The problem with large scale charging infrastructure investments is that there is no standardization, and it'll be worthless in a few years. That's a massive level of depreciation on such a large scale project. Charging technology is moving at a pretty quick rate as batteries are now being designed and optimized for quick charging. Sure Tesla's supercharger can charge 80% in ~45 mins may seem fast today, but Porsche's system will do that in 15 mins. If and when solid-electrolyte batteries come out, that's another huge leap forward in charging speed even compared to Porsche that necessitates new charging technology.

Until charging technology gets to the point where it doesn't matter (under 5 mins) and there's standardization, don't expect massive investments in charging networks. Tesla might be in the lead today, but it's by design, as they'll have massive liabilities when it comes to upgrading their network in the near future. Nobody cares about standardization today because they don't want to be handcuffed in efforts to bring bigger and better charging technologies forward and leap ahead of the competition.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If and when solid-electrolyte batteries come out, that's another huge leap forward in charging speed even compared to Porsche that necessitates new charging technology.
    You can always find a lot of hype in the press, but keep in mind a quote of unknown origin, but generally attributed to Edison: "There are 3 types of people: Liars, damn liars, and battery salesmen"
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students