Quantcast
Cutting out meat/ Gluten Free/ Vegan - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Cutting out meat/ Gluten Free/ Vegan

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I should probably clarify that when I say I'm getting back in to bodybuilding I mean I'm hitting the weights and building back some muscle to look somewhat muscular...I have no interest in looking like Arnold nor am I actually going to enter competitions haha

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is everyone doing with this now? I have been doing a lot of reading and also following vegan groups on FB. There are some buff and strong vegan peeps! Tom Brady supposedly is mostly plant based. Liam Hemsworth is vegan and tried to talk his brother into being a vegan.
    Since end of February I have pretty much cut out sugar, pastries, wheat, gluten, dairy. Also drastically reduced meat and caffeine consumption. My wife said my skin complexion is better. I guess my concern like many would be the amount of protein consumed. Range has been around 60 to 100g depending on what I eat. If I don't eat meat then the 100 is hard to get unless I down some protein shakes. The 'meat" society say we need 1g of protein per lb of body weight. The vegetarian world say 1g per kg of lbm.

Will keep going and see how energy, health, skin and other aspect improve.
    I stopped this from January this year.

The vegan thing was a interesting experiment. Personally im not sure I could keep it up. As a single guy on a low income. It costs a lot to eat healthy, it sounds really stupid writing that. I struggled with it at times.

But it was a great exercise to see what works with your body and how it reacts. I found I was losing too many minerals and as others have said the issue of B12.

I was in SE Asia from March to beginning of May. My eating habits changed a lot there. I ate once or maybe twice a day. I ate a lot of soups, pho and ramen type dishes.
    I lost a shit ton of body fat. I lost so much weight my old shorts did not fit me. I bought another pair there and after a while they stopped fitting me too.
    The hard part I found when travelling there was eating enough protein. They don't give you much.

I noticed when I eat here in Canada, the portions are too big. The meat size is double and taste is a bit whacky.
    Im changing my habit to eating once or twice a day. Since I got laid off I just can't afford to eat much anyway.
    Im cutting down the sugars, carbs, snacking, excess wheat/gluten, less red meat as before. My portion sizes have come down.

Though I will see how it goes as I ramp this up over the summer.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Sorry to hear of the layoff. What sector/area of expertise are you in? Lot of that still happening to coincide with hiring.

Yes I am not sure if the vegan lifestyle is sustainable. I can see it if one does it for humane reason. For nutrition balance, cost I don't know. Plus so many yummy food out there!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One thing that's both healthy and cheap is cutting down on snacking and buying drinks. Pop, fancy coffee and other purchased drinks add no nutrition and can add a lot to the cost of a meal or a trip to the grocery store.

Cutting alcoholic drinks even more so, but I haven't taken that step.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    Sorry to hear of the layoff. What sector/area of expertise are you in? Lot of that still happening to coincide with hiring.

Yes I am not sure if the vegan lifestyle is sustainable. I can see it if one does it for humane reason. For nutrition balance, cost I don't know. Plus so many yummy food out there!
    I was in databases/marketing in the grocery segment. There was layoffs a couple of years ago and I lost my job. I managed get a entry level job on the other side of the company just to get some sort of income coming in as I had just bought a place. Last March there was massive layoffs. Unfortunately I was in that avalanche.
    Im looking to move completely into a different industry. Insurance perhaps, so will see how that goes.

If I lived back in the UK, I don't think I would have too much of a problem in eating a more pescetarian/ vegetarianish diet. Easy access to vegetables (and variety) from cornershops and the cost of food is lower.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Thread Bump:

My wife has recently been diagnosed with some arthritis type disease in her Jaw joint and also been getting alot of inflammation in her joints as well as a tonne of other inflammatory markers in her body, always bloats after eating basically anything, stomach cramps all the time, frequent diarrhea (infact she used to think diarrhea every couple of days was normal) she also suffers from really bad fatigue. Everything at the doctor seems to come up normal though. We looked at perhaps seeing a Functional Doctor although now have discovered that is $$$$$ (tests alone are up to $10,000). So she wants to do the AIP (autoimmune protocol) diet which is basically a restrictive paleo diet. Im onboard as I would like to try lowfodmap/paleo anyway. I think biggest change for me would be no alcohol/no sugar. Regardless we start next week, preparing for it this weekend.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Thread Bump:

My wife has recently been diagnosed with some arthritis type disease in her Jaw joint and also been getting alot of inflammation in her joints as well as a tonne of other inflammatory markers in her body, always bloats after eating basically anything, stomach cramps all the time, frequent diarrhea (infact she used to think diarrhea every couple of days was normal) she also suffers from really bad fatigue. Everything at the doctor seems to come up normal though. We looked at perhaps seeing a Functional Doctor although now have discovered that is $$$$$ (tests alone are up to $10,000). So she wants to do the AIP (autoimmune protocol) diet which is basically a restrictive paleo diet. Im onboard as I would like to try lowfodmap/paleo anyway. I think biggest change for me would be no alcohol/no sugar. Regardless we start next week, preparing for it this weekend.
    Good luck.

The brofessors in the bodybuilding world call it an elimination diet.

Do one ingredient meals at a time to see what affects you.

Eg: breakfast 5 eggs, nothing else. Tomorrow just oats
    Lunch chicken breast, tomorrow chicken breast and carrots
    Dinner salmon, tomorrow salmon and broccoli.

Keep going like that until You get a list of foods that work. Then you can mix and match more.

Keep meals 5-6 hours apart. If you don’t and say have a snack of raisins 2 hours after lunch, you don’t know which food affected you.

First three-four days will be hard, gets easier as more food is available.

Edit: NO SPICES or condiments. Those are ingredients, add them in one at a time to foods that work.
    Last edited by Darkane; 11-13-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thread Bump:

A friend of ours was recently diagnosed with MS and her diet has played a huge part in inflammation control, in addition, to properly managing stress levels as this greatly affects her flare-ups. Her diet includes very little sugar, no gluten, no lactose.

The local support of Low-FODMAP is in short, abysmal. My wife has done this herself and is in the works of making up her own website (https://littlemissvegetable.com/); if you want her meal plan for a week just let me know and I'll send it for free, or just to chat she has lots of science-based info to share with your wife. Additionally, this app is critical for checking and maintaining Low-FODMAP (https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-cen...s/get-the-app/) for various foods. Low-FODMAP was originally developed at the Monash University in Australia, and frankly has very little support or guidance here. It's often applied to IBS/IBD patients but has helped my wife and my friend with MS, so I think it's worth trying.

There are some naturopaths in the city that might be worth considering, I can refer you if you want because there are some nutjobs. The financial part of this is naturopaths are typically only partly covered by insurance and will require testing of varying degrees from 3rd party companies. These types of tests are either never done by AHS at all and/or not covered and therefore can become costly (not anywhere close to $10,000 though).

Gut stuff is very interesting but immensely complex. There are local studies she can become a part of if she is willing to contribute in that manner at the UofC (http://imaginespor.com/imagine-spor-2/). Microbiome composition, influence and factors, brain-gut connections are cutting-edge science right now.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-13-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Thread Bump:

My wife has gone through inflammation. They are trying the FODMAP route right now. She has definitely noticed a difference with some foods.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Her diet includes very little sugar, no gluten, no lactose.
    My wife has ankylosing spondylitis which is more or less rheumatoid arthritis of the spine. She went this route and it has help immensely. All of the autoimmune diseases will benefit from reducing inflammatory foods. She does however offer hear a cheat once a week. Be it a beer or some candy. It makes her stomach upset but its worth it for her sanity (so she says).

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im mostly doing the AIP diet to support my wife who is doing it, not for myself. I have some issues with flatulence due to eating dairy but regarding the AIP diet - 3 days in since starting, no sugar and no caffeine has me tired and hungry all the time.
    Also I could lose about 40 lbs.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 11-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Been on AIP for 7 weeks now - I would say I'm about 90% compliant. My wife is 100% compliant. We have so far added back in: Eggs, White Rice, and Coffee. As I suspected I've had no problems with any of the additions. My wife discovered that she gets an upset stomach, diarrhea, cramps if she drinks coffee so she's decided not to drink that.

I've lost about 15lbs so far. Down from 246 to 231 still pretty big for my 6'1 frame. About 6 weeks ago we decided that we would work out every day as well and we have a rotation of:

Cardio, and Core
    Strength, and Core
    Pilates and Yoga.

About 3 weeks ago we added in a 10 min stretch class to every day and I'm proud to say that I can finally touch my toes with straight legs for the first time since I was 15.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5