Quantcast
City of Regina collecting on $7 million in unpaid parking fines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: City of Regina collecting on $7 million in unpaid parking fines

Default City of Regina collecting on $7 million in unpaid parking fines

But hey, there is a very simple solution for all of this - just pay for your parking in the first place. I would imagine these same whiners would be quite upset if they owned a home they were renting out and had a renter who decided not to pay a month's worth of rent just because they didn't want to.

These whiners, they always have a fucking excuse - how is it that I've been living and driving/parking in the CoC for over 38 years and have never received one parking ticket? That's because I've either paid for my parking or have paid attention to what the signage says with respect to parking in a certain area - it's not fucking rocket science. Had one of my kids complaining about getting a parking ticket and when I quizzed them about it they admitted that they didn't pay attention to the signage - c'mon, play dumb games, pay dumb fines then.

Fucking wankers, always expecting that they should be able to continue to suckle on society's teat while the rest have decided to move on and be responsible.

Anyhow, flame suit is on because this will hit so close to home for certain beyond members - suck it up, babies.

Link to CBC news article - quoted below...

City of Regina collecting on $7 million in unpaid parking fines
    The City of Regina has been pursuing close to 20,000 accounts with outstanding fines
    By Alec Salloum, CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2017 4:00 AM CT Last Updated: Oct 08, 2017 9:55 AM CT

Some people in Regina are learning the hard way that the statute of limitations does not apply to parking tickets.

The City of Regina has been sending letters to residents notifying them of unpaid parking tickets, some of which stem from violations almost a decade ago. The cumulative average of the tickets can be in the hundreds of dollars for some people.

For Aaron Stuckel his $600 worth of fines came as a total surprise.

"I thought I had them all taken care of," said Stuckel. "But then I get this letter, you know, five years later or four years later saying that I still owe $600. So it's just a bit frustrating."

Stuckel accrued many of his tickets during his time studying journalism at the University of Regina — despite his parking pass. He said many of his tickets were successfully appealed, but with this recent notification the typical thirty day period to appeal does not apply, since these tickets are already several years overdue.

"I dealt with so many of these when I was at the U of R," said Stuckel.

At the time, he was driving his parents car. His parents in turn sent the letter they recently received on to their son. Stuckel says the letter was delivered a few months after the provincial budget was released and felt that the city hounding him and others to pay old tickets might have something to do with the $10.3 million budget shortfall faced by the city.

"It felt like a little bit of a cash grab by the city when times were tight for the city," said Stuckel. "I should say too, that the people at the city have been fairly understanding. This is obviously a surprise to a lot of people."

Approximately $7 million in unpaid fines

The letters state that a minimum of one ticket per month is to be paid until the balance is zero and for those who can't accommodate that payment structure, there is an alternative offered.

However, if the tickets are not paid the account owing the ticket will be forwarded to the Credit Bureau of Canada, which is a private company.

"Any of the information we collect would be ownership information from the parking ticket," said Faisal Kalim, manager of parking services with the city. "Any ownership information that the city would have the collection agency would have available to them."

Which means any information used to register your vehicle would be handed off to the collection agency.

Despite feelings that the revved-up collection practice had something to do with the budget shortfall, Kalim said that is not the case. The city has been fully in charge of collecting parking fines since 2012 when the service was transferred from the Regina Police Service to the City of Regina.

The recent strategy of sending letters to people with old outstanding parking tickets started in December 2016.

"Our collections folks started with highest value accounts and they've been working their way down to accounts that today only have one or two tickets," said Kalim.

After going through a backlog of approximately 20,000 accounts owing around $7 million the city is now processing the lower-value accounts. According to Kalim that's why more people are receiving letters in the mail now. In his experience a high value account could owe over $10,000.

Kalim said this method of collection will cost $20,000 to $30,000 in postage alone, though that is one of the biggest expenses.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-09-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But hey, there is a very simple solution for all of this - just pay for your parking in the first place. I would imagine these same whiners would be quite upset if they owned a home they were renting out and had a renter who decided not to pay a month's worth of rent just because they didn't want to.

These whiners, they always have a fucking excuse - how is it that I've been living and driving/parking in the CoC for over 38 years and have never received one parking ticket? That's because I've either paid for my parking or have paid attention to what the signage says with respect to parking in a certain area - it's not fucking rocket science. Had one of my kids complaining about getting a parking ticket and when I quizzed them about it they admitted that they didn't pay attention to the signage - c'mon, play dumb games, pay dumb fines then.

Fucking wankers, always expecting that they should be able to continue to suckle on society's teat while the rest have decided to move on and be responsible.

Anyhow, flame suit is on because this will hit so close to home for certain beyond members - suck it up, babies.

Link to CBC news article - quoted below...
    You never pulled the Telus pylon trick?
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You never pulled the Telus pylon trick?
    Nope.
    Will fuck off, again.

Not really related but this post reminded me of my experience with a privately run parking lot near my work.

From my experience they couldn't give a flying f*** where you park. As long as you pay and don't block other customers. Several times I've had to drive in to work late and of course the lot is full but I pay and find a decent spot to make a parking stall. Never a ticket and I know the company patrols the lot at least once a day haha!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Fuck private lots but yeah, pay the City. There's zero right to complain, that guy's a knob!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

'Fucking wankers'... I see my Englisisim is having a rubbing off on you.

I remember my first parking ticket here. It was a fire hydrant.. Then I realised its like the movies here.. you have fire hydrants here...