Quantcast
Porsche Subscription Service - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Subscription Service

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So how does it work? You pay that per month and you get to keep the car for however long and for however mileage? And then if you want to switch weekly, monthly or whatever you can do that? If so...this would be a damn good option. Haha.
    Sounds perfect for someone like you, lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's unlimited km's apparently. This service is basically 2x the TCO of a typical finance/lease. If you can go on it just for the summer months, it's worth it IMO.

In the US, looking at a 718 boxster, it's around $1000/month with $0 down. Tack on ~$250/month on insurance (it's a lot more expensive in the US) and you're sitting at $1250, or $15k a year to lease it year round. Not going to complicate things with storage charges for winter. Subsequently, at $2k a month for 7 summer months, you're ahead at $14k TCO. 8 months, down slightly down at $15k TCO.

For idiots like myself that carry the TCO burden of winter and summer vehicles, my lease costs double, so $30k a year. At this point, I'm well ahead by $6k using passport at $24k a year. Hell, I can pay $6k more and move up to a higher level of vehicle than I'm accustomed to. All this with the advantage of switching vehicles based on my mood, and not tied down to any particular model for at least 2 years.

So yea, there's definitely advantages to this depending on your situation. Of course, we'll have to see how they price it for Canada if it ever makes it here.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    M3

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    I can see the alure of this.

$2000 usd is steep for base caymans and macans.

$3000 usd would end up being what... $42000 cdn a year. I mean three years you’re owning the 911. It’s steep, and I don’t believe you’re driving any GTS or GT cars. Forget about the Turbo S’ too.
    Yes. And after three years you're owned vehicle will be outdated and in need of service. Meanwhile the borrower will be in a fresh whip every Saturday.

It's certainly not an option for the modifier types, like the beyond squad. Isn't that the underlying undiscussed issue here? No stance for these mofcks.
    Last edited by Tilly; 12-27-2017 at 12:43 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Lol what a ripoff

Is the mentality now a days to borrow it if you can't afford it? That's a sure way to never be able to afford it.
    Yeah for sure it is. Look at Apple Music, what a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

So how does it work? You pay that per month and you get to keep the car for however long and for however mileage? And then if you want to switch weekly, monthly or whatever you can do that? If so...this would be a damn good option. Haha.
    You are SO on board with this!

My Ride
    NC1

I can get on board with this. $2000 and you just have to put gas in the damn thing? Budget baller fk yes!

My Ride
    G37X

You guys are nuts haha

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Lol what a ripoff

Is the mentality now a days to borrow it if you can't afford it? That's a sure way to never be able to afford it.
    I think it depends on what you want to drive and how long for.

I personally own 5 vehicles, the cheapest one being a Gtr so I can certainly afford most vehicles in the Porsche line up. 3 of my cars are due for service this spring, I have to carry insurance on all of them and the shittiest part is storage.

A program like this makes perfect sense for me as I constantly get bored and would likely save money in the end.

My Ride
    NC1

Since when do you have to pay cash for something to be worthy of it lol

Oh you didn’t pay cash for your house? Peasant. Lol

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I can get on board with this. $2000 and you just have to put gas in the damn thing? Budget baller fk yes!
    $2000 in the US, sooo $3000 here.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    $2000 in the US, sooo $3000 here.
    lol oh the horrors. I thought we all ballers here

This still doesn't make financial sense to me from any angle I look at it. Porsche resale + the steep cost of this program = Doesn't make sense all. Unless the next gen of 911s becomes the 996 version 2.0, or you're huge in to checking every option possible on something like a 4S convertible, you can expect to recoup most of your money even if you hold on to the vehicle for a full model cycle (about 7 years). 991.1s are still selling at cheapest for 85k or so, and u can pick a new one up for about 115k, so pretty good depreciation there. But if you did this program for 7 years, say its 2500 in canada for a package that gets u a 911... you'd have spent 210000 in 7 years. I dont care how much you bag your car, you aren't likely to do 100k in maintenance over that period, and then take insurance off the car the day before you ghost ride it in to a lake.

Plus Porsches are all about selling a car that is exactly like the last one you owned, so I dont even see the appeal of this to people that switch up their cars as fast as they change their underwear. They all have the same interior, same basic outside shape.

As said by someone else I also dont see this being a thing in Canada with Porsche storing a fleet of 911s and boxsters in winter, and storing a fleet of macans and cayennes in summer, or telling people sorry you were a little late in swapping in your base model cayenne for a 911 in spring, so now your summer car of choice is limited to a cayenne diesel!, or a cayenne diesel!... choose wisely! Although if I signed up for this I'd be the guy asking for a rwd 911S in winter (S cuz of the LSD).

I could only see someone doing this for a year, to try out the porsche life cycling through the entire fleet, and then move on never to return as they've moved on.
    Last edited by zhao; 01-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    This still doesn't make financial sense to me from any angle I look at it. Porsche resale + the steep cost of this program = Doesn't make sense all. Unless the next gen of 911s becomes the 996 version 2.0, or you're huge in to checking every option possible on something like a 4S convertible, you can expect to recoup most of your money even if you hold on to the vehicle for a full model cycle (about 7 years). 991.1s are still selling at cheapest for 85k or so, and u can pick a new one up for about 115k, so pretty good depreciation there. But if you did this program for 7 years, say its 2500 in canada for a package that gets u a 911... you'd have spent 210000 in 7 years. I dont care how much you bag your car, you aren't likely to do 100k in maintenance over that period, and then take insurance off the car the day before you ghost ride it in to a lake.

Plus Porsches are all about selling a car that is exactly like the last one you owned, so I dont even see the appeal of this to people that switch up their cars as fast as they change their underwear. They all have the same interior, same basic outside shape.

As said by someone else I also dont see this being a thing in Canada with Porsche storing a fleet of 911s and boxsters in winter, and storing a fleet of macans and cayennes in summer, or telling people sorry you were a little late in swapping in your base model cayenne for a 911 in spring, so now your summer car of choice is limited to a cayenne diesel!, or a cayenne diesel!... choose wisely! Although if I signed up for this I'd be the guy asking for a rwd 911S in winter (S cuz of the LSD).

I could only see someone doing this for a year, to try out the porsche life cycling through the entire fleet, and then move on never to return as they've moved on.
    The 911 option will cost $4000 cdn/mth. Nuts.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post

If I buy a Boxster S and a Macan S out right at $80K each (not remotely close to loaded). I would be out around $40K in depreciation in 2 years. Add $4.5K of insurance and registration, you are looking at ~$45K for 24months or ~1800/mth.

So $2600/mth is more but I would assume there are administration overhead and potential hit on depreciation if they ever do this since it's basically like the domestics dumping cars to rental agencies.

The fact is how you are going to tailor to the future of vehicle ownership/timshare. Mercedes got car2go. Volvo about to release similar program. So all manufacturers got to figure this out as we continue to density into more urban settings and car ownership becoming less and less of a necessity.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-02-2018 at 10:05 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If I buy a Boxster S and a Macan S out right at $80K each (not remotely close to loaded). I would be out around $40K in depreciation in 2 years. Add $4.5K of insurance and registration, you are looking at ~$45K for 24months or ~1800/mth.
    It's Porsche, not Hyundai. They wont come close to 50% depreciation in two years. Quick look at the Boxsters available and the 2013's and older are still going in the $50k range.

Example Boxster

I agree that this subscription service is a terrible idea from a financial standpoint though - just had issue with some of your marth

Edit: fixed link
    Last edited by klumsy_tumbler; 01-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    It's Porsche, not Hyundai. They wont come close to 50% depreciation in two years. Quick look at the Boxsters available and the 2013's and older are still going in the $50k range.

Example Boxster

I agree that this subscription service is a terrible idea from a financial standpoint though - just had issue with some of your marth

Edit: fixed link
    $80K Macan + $80K Boxster = $160K total. 25% depreciation after 2 year, hence $40K loss.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    $80K Macan + $80K Boxster = $160K total. 25% depreciation after 2 year, hence $40K loss.
    Ah, I see what you were getting at now... carry on.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

BMW and Mercedes-Benz joining the subscription bandwagon

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/1...auto-show-2018

My Ride
    This and that.

In US only still initially my guess is?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

They say "on-demand access" so to me it sounds something like car 2 go. Call a number and a driver will deliver it, find one parked in your area, or visit the depot, swipe your card, and away you go. I don't think you pick your car and then park it in your driveway and it is yours to use exclusively for a month.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    They say "on-demand access" so to me it sounds something like car 2 go. Call a number and a driver will deliver it, find one parked in your area, or visit the depot, swipe your card, and away you go. I don't think you pick your car and then park it in your driveway and it is yours to use exclusively for a month.
    You can take a car2go for as long as you like. They just charge by the day.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast