Quantcast
Porsche Subscription Service - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Subscription Service

My Ride
    95B

Default Porsche Subscription Service

Porsche’s new subscription service gets you your perfect car for $2,000 a month
    When you think of subscription services, media-based companies like Spotify and Netflix are probably the first ones to come to mind. Interestingly enough, now comes word that one of the world’s premier luxury automakers wants to roll out a unique and forward-thinking take on the subscription model. According to a report from Bloomberg, Porsche is launching an intriguing new subscription program that will enable car aficionados to get behind the wheel of various Porsche vehicles for relatively little money — with relatively, of course, being the operative word.

Dubbed Porsche Passport, the program has multiple tiers, with the most wallet-friendly option starting at $2,000/month. At that price, subscribers will have on-demand access to a Porsche 718 Boxster, Cayman S, Macan S or Cayenne. If you’re willing to splurge, say to the tune of $3,000 per month, you’ll have unfettered access to 22 different Porsche models, including a Porsche 911 Carrera S and the Panamera 4s sports sedan. It’s not exactly chump change, but if you have an affinity for luxurious performance vehicles, this seems like a great way to enjoy the Porsche experience without having to shell out six figures. It’s worth pointing out that the subscription fee includes detailing, maintenance, insurance, and any applicable taxes. Notably, a one-time $500 activation fee will also be charged to subscribers.
    As to how the program works, subscribers simply need to fire up their Porsche Passport app, select which vehicle they want and when they want it, and Porsche will handle the rest.

The underlying strategy behind the program is to hook younger buyers on the Porsche brand.

“We now have millennials who are incredibly successful and have the financial power to own a Porsche, but might not be willing to own a Porsche today,” Porsche’s Klaus Zellmer told Bloomberg recently. “We are pretty sure it will help sales, especially in the mid and long term.”

Porsche’s press release reads in part:

“Our Strategy 2025 vision is to be the most aspirational brand in a new era of mobility and consumer expectations. Catering to customers’ desire to experience our sports cars in new ways is a part of our core strategy,” said President and CEO Klaus Zellmer of PCNA. “With Porsche Passport, we now offer our customers a simple and flexible driving solution at their fingertips.”

As it stands now, Porsche Passport is limited to individuals in Atlanta, and it remains to be seen if the program will eventually spread to other geographic areas.

All told, this is an intriguing idea
    http://bgr.com/2017/10/10/porsche-pa...-911-panamera/

My Ride
    LNF

This is definitely a cool idea. Cadillac announced a similar program a few months ago as well with any vehicle in their lineup.

My Ride
    Bicycle

They are not the first, Cadillac is testing the same model in NYC.

https://gizmodo.com/cadillac-has-an-...-ve-1790812714

The question is if this will be a monthly bases or require a term commitment. Something like that in Calgary will basically mean they will run out of 718s in the summer and Macan in the winter.

I will definitely drop $2K to drive a 718 for a month or so without the commitment of maintaining it. Most cars on Turo charges way more.

Is there a minimum subscription length? Say I only wanted it for the summer months for 5 months out of the year, or do I need to pay the $500 activation fee every year?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a minimum subscription length? Say I only wanted it for the summer months for 5 months out of the year, or do I need to pay the $500 activation fee every year?
    Bloomberg report says its open ended.

My Ride
    Exploded.

This could be a successful concept. As someone mentioned earlier, Cadillac has been running it for a while now:

http://www.businessinsider.com/cadil...-review-2017-2

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Lol what a ripoff

Is the mentality now a days to borrow it if you can't afford it? That's a sure way to never be able to afford it.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 10-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.

My Ride
    is broken

It’s worth pointing out that the subscription fee includes detailing, maintenance, insurance, and any applicable taxes.

While its surely upper-end. The costing isn't out to lunch for middle incomers.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Lol what a ripoff

Is the mentality now a days to borrow it if you can't afford it? That's a sure way to never be able to afford it.
    That is one way of looking at it. There are number of people who gets bored with the vehicle. Those people are struck with the vehicle because of the long term commitment.
    Also I am not sure whether we can put the people that are willing to spend 2K plus per month in the not able to afford category
    I understand that this model is going to rub the 'Ballers' in the wrong way.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Lolwut? Seriously? "Middle income" for a household in Canada is $40g to $130g. We're at the upper range of that and sure as fuck can't afford $2000 a month on single vehicle.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Lol what a ripoff

In the last 30 years, we went from cash to finance to lease. This is just the next evolution. Especially if car sharing and EV become norm.

You either get this going now or have some disruptors from silicon valley to get ahead of you and muscle you out of the industry. And really what we consider as luxury brand has gone down market a lot to chase profits and market share. Porsche of today isn't what Porsche was before Cayenne arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Calgary's idea of middle incomer is really out to lunch compared to rest of the country.

Remember this is $2000USD and I believe that only give you access probably lower tier like Boxster/Caymen/Macan. 911/Cayene/Panamera will probably be the $3000/mth tier.

$2000USD can almost lease you 2 C43 and a Minivan for the family instead of just 1 Porsche. So this is still a very high end premium service.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-11-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's cheaper than owning/financing a winter and summer car plus associated storage fees. So in my case, it'd be worth it. The unlimited mileage makes it pretty awesome. I'd be OK taking a Panamera for our multiple road trips every year without worrying about balancing mileage between cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Thats a great idea if you are in a big city like NYC. Especially with everything already paid for.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I'd sign up for a 991 cup car from May to September.

My Ride
    This and that.

So how does it work? You pay that per month and you get to keep the car for however long and for however mileage? And then if you want to switch weekly, monthly or whatever you can do that? If so...this would be a damn good option. Haha.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    So how does it work? You pay that per month and you get to keep the car for however long and for however mileage? And then if you want to switch weekly, monthly or whatever you can do that? If so...this would be a damn good option. Haha.
    This sounds perfect for you.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s a neat concept but I highly doubt it pays out for the owner. Massive amount of money goes into the convenience factor of it all I would imagine.

Don’t specially leasing companies basically do this? Sounds a lot like what Steve Jobs used to do with his amg SL’s that he replaced every few months.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    That is one way of looking at it. There are number of people who gets bored with the vehicle. Those people are struck with the vehicle because of the long term commitment.
    Also I am not sure whether we can put the people that are willing to spend 2K plus per month in the not able to afford category
    I understand that this model is going to rub the 'Ballers' in the wrong way.
    Semi-Ballers buy stuff.

Real Ballers buy usage of stuff + convenience.

Paying extra to just show up and use a car/boat/toy is far better than the hassles involved with "owning" things.

Until you can afford staff to handle your yacht/plane/properties.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I can see the alure of this.

$2000 usd is steep for base caymans and macans.

$3000 usd would end up being what... $42000 cdn a year. I mean three years you’re owning the 911. It’s steep, and I don’t believe you’re driving any GTS or GT cars. Forget about the Turbo S’ too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    It's usually based on time + KMs, wouldn't think it'll be any different here. Like anything else, you'll pay for the convenience/variety.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast